free hit
counters
Sports Racer - non gloss black wheel refurb? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Sports Racer - non gloss black wheel refurb?

I’ve never been a big fan of black wheels (in general) as you lose that clean visual separation from the tyres. I have to admit they do look very “coherent” on the Sports Racer though - when they are clean reflections from the glossy black finish are strong enough that they “work” visually.

They are less convincing with a layer of dirt on them though.... 🤔

I don’t think I am too far away from a wheel refurb. I am hugely tempted to veer away from the oem gloss black. Thinking anthracite/gunmetal - something that is still dark but - crucially - not black.

I won’t revert to silver, but a bit brighter might work - bronze does appeal.

Any Sports Racer owners been down a similar route and willing to show photos?

thanks in advance 😁👍

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've stuck with gloss black and will continue to do so.....

But.....a colour that always appeals and works well as its slightly darker is called "Shadow Chrome". BMW used it on some M cars a few years ago and I think it's a good in between for silver or black....

Worth a Google. It looks incredibly when done properly and in real life. Almost like a silver grey coming through black....

50 minutes ago, mik said:

I’ve never been a big fan of black wheels (in general) as you lose that clean visual separation from the tyres. I have to admit they do look very “coherent” on the Sports Racer though - when they are clean reflections from the glossy black finish are strong enough that they “work” visually.

They are less convincing with a layer of dirt on them though.... 🤔

I don’t think I am too far away from a wheel refurb. I am hugely tempted to veer away from the oem gloss black. Thinking anthracite/gunmetal - something that is still dark but - crucially - not black.

I won’t revert to silver, but a bit brighter might work - bronze does appeal.

Any Sports Racer owners been down a similar route and willing to show photos?

thanks in advance 😁👍

Picture of my old M5 with Shadow Chrome wheels. Can't find the close ups on my phone. 

20181110_144833.jpg

Posted (edited)

The M5 Shadow Chrome was actually the influence for the refurb choice on my VXR8

oem

spacer.png

versus TWS “smoked chrome” finish

spacer.png

Edited by mik

Have you still got the VXR8?

I do miss a big V8 in my life!

Went from the M5 to Jag XFR.....the supercharged V8 in that was glorious.

Unfortunately not. And yes I do miss it - the LS3 (mine had aftermarket intake and exhaust) had massive presence. 

Just found this image again. I do like a dark bronze....

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yeah that’s definitely an option. I think that could look great. 😎

• Like 1

I wish I could find the colour spec for these original wheels. The inside is a gunmetal fleck and the outer surfaces are a silver/grey/chrome style.

IMAG0486.thumb.jpg.80ba2f5874b93b2cca69e99dfa315976.jpg

• Love 1

I'll ask on Monday for you but wheel suppliers seem to be pretty tight lipped to the factory if they arrive pre-painted, commercially sensitive info by all accounts. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

7 minutes ago, Bruss said:

I wish I could find the colour spec for these original wheels. The inside is a gunmetal fleck and the outer surfaces are a silver/grey/chrome style.

IMAG0486.thumb.jpg.80ba2f5874b93b2cca69e99dfa315976.jpg

I had one refurbed through Silverstone assuming that it is the diamond cut version. I think they sent it to someone in Swindon, cost me £120🙄 but it was spot on with the other 3 afterwards

Probably not much help to you being in Euroland but you could give Matthew a call at Silverstone & see if he can help

• Like 1

Thanks for that Paul. When all this Covid malarkey is under control I do intend to come over. I'm sure something can be arranged if Silverstone has a contact. 

• Like 1

Paul, I should also have mentioned that it was 5 years ago so the price will no doubt have changed, but if they have capability then..........

Might have been when Lepsons had a branch out there. The owner was a member on here and owns a champagne gold V8 Esprit. 

https://www.lepsons.com/swindon-branch/

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/profile/5464-lepsons-swindon/

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

Might have been when Lepsons had a branch out there. The owner was a member on here and owns a champagne gold V8 Esprit. 

https://www.lepsons.com/swindon-branch/

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/profile/5464-lepsons-swindon/

Yep, that name rings a 🔔 

8 hours ago, PaulCP said:

I think they sent it to someone in Swindon

Yep, I imagine that would have been Lepsons. 

They have changed hands since then though. 

• 1 month later...

Have booked the car in next week.

I am even 90% decided on the finish. 😎

Unless I change my mind at the last moment. 🤐

I had a TPMS sensor die last year - guidance is that you should expect 5hrs out of them, so 6.5yrs was OK. Decided that - since they need to come off for the refurb - I will replace the other 3, which may well have lasted well beyond 7years but who knows….

• 2 weeks later...

Much nicer :thumbup:

Evora NA

Posted (edited)

Remembered I still have my old damaged oem rear round the back of the garage for a more direct comparison. Probably should have cleaned it up a bit first 🤫

As you all were - nothing to see here…

spacer.png

Edited by mik
  • Like 1