free hit
counters
Moving a car with no engine/gearbox/perished tyres - Vehicle dolly? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Moving a car with no engine/gearbox/perished tyres - Vehicle dolly?

I'm back in the UK for a while and am looking to set my G-Esprit up for when I need to move it from it's long rest in my garage.

The engine and gearbox are sat out of the car. The drrive shafts are dangling on the floor. The tyres are perished and doubtful to hold air.

What next step would you recommend?

Would you make a large wooden dolly?

Sealey make a vehicle moving dolly which looks like a good solution:

https://www.toolden.co.uk/p/sealey-vmd002-vehicle-moving-dolly-4-post-900kg/?gclid=CjwKCAjwkN6EBhBNEiwADVfyazuPD9KbqIcq_tAsBKfwBet2zJlKij0Rc27BKh4UrJVDlDuJ7YlooBoCpmMQAvD_BwE

Jack the car and get new tyres fitted? 

I like the idea of the Sealey dolly am unsure where I'd jack it from, where I'd place the 4 points and how to tie it down when on the frame?

Any thoughts or advice?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

They sit under the main tub area. If the car is to be removed from the chassis then they are pretty good. 

If you have no plans to pull the body off the chassis - then I’d refurb the wheels and fit new tyres - often better to direct the cash where you get best bang for the buck 👍

Only here once

I'd try the old tyres to see if they hold air first - its best to buy new tyres when you need them rather than buy new then have it sitting on them for another year (not sure what your timescales are).

How far have you got to move it? If its going on a trailer then just leave it on the old flat tyres and winch it up. The old tyres will be binned anyway.

You can make a rope sling for the driveshafts, just let them hang loose in a loop and they will rotate as you move the car, but not tangle on anything or drag on the ground.

If you simply want to move it around the workshop you could buy some wheel dollies...£60 per pair from Machine Mart.

At the moment there is no timeline to begin the resto as I'm working out of the country.

I'm just planning for when I may need to move the car at short notice.

My first thought was tires and wheel dollies + joining the driveshafts with rope.

I have some COMPOMOTIVE Ronal-Turbo-style centre-locks I'll be fitting so the original wheels will only need tyres to move the car on.

The curent tyres are so far gone there is no chance.

Any ideas on what common used/salvage tyres I could buy to move the car on the original rims? I think this is the cheapest option but any money spent here is being thrown away in the long-term.

Edited by anditsoundslikebells

Any ideas on what common used/salvage tyres I could buy to move the car on the original rims? I think this is the cheapest option but any money spent here is being thrown away in the long-term.

When you get back go to your local tyre fitters and explain your problem. They will probably be prepared to route round in their scrap tyres to find something that fits (they don't need to be the correct width, profile or have tread, just something that fits the arches and holds air). Most likely to just charge a nominal amount for fitting as of course they won't need balancing 😁

More likely with an independent than a big chain, but at the end of the day it's all down to the manager 

I gathered up a cheap set of 4 wheel/tyres from some '90's era Acura, figuring 4 x 100mm bolt circle and large enough centre hole to clear the hub centring features. FWD offset suits the G Esprit front as is, reverse mounting expected to suit the aft end. Haven't put it together for a try yet, to be honest.

Cheers 

This weekend I will attempt to raise the car, get it on axle-stands and replace the front tyres. Next weekend I'll do the rear.

If I'm attempting to lift the whole front of the car in one go with a trolley-jack could I use a piece of timber to spread the load?

I'm not sure about doing one corner at a time as the tyres are so flat I will end up with quite an angle across the two.

Any thoughts?