free hit
counters
Mot testing and tyres over 10 years old - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Mot testing and tyres over 10 years old

• Gold FFM

So chatting with my mate earlier in the week - he’s had a notification from the DVSA that tyre age is soon to become an issue.

Any tyre over 10 years of age - irrespective of physical condition is to be a fail.

I think this is a fantastic idea - I think every single esprit I’ve ever purchased has had ancient tyres on - and it’s been the first thing I’ve swapped out.

wonder just how many classics this will bite.

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I thought this was just for...a limited number of vehicles ???

Ban on tyres over 10 years old on minibuses, buses and coaches

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/ban-on-tyres-over-10-years-old-on-minibuses-buses-and-coaches/

• Gold FFM

My RS200 Clio 2010 is on original factory fitted Michelin tyres - two very careful drivers over 47000 miles (not me). I don't consider them dangerous - should I? Plenty of tread on 'em. 

Tyre manufacturers lobbying I suspect. 

Justin 

How can you get 47k out of original tyres on a sports car?   I got through the last set on my wifes Nissan Micra 1.0 in less than 20k.  And can still get through the rears in less than 10k on a 37yo Esprit.   

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Not me driving. 1st owner to 32,000, the rest my other half.

Don't ask me how - I am amazed. 

Justin 

1 hour ago, jep said:

Plenty of tread on 'em. 

Tread depth and tyre condition are quite unrelated. I'd personally not drive any sort of performance car on tyres over 6 years old, the rubber really doesn't age well past then. 

@rallyesax might be able to give us more of an insight. 

• Thanks 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Tyres get harder as years go by. As they get harder they stop sticking and can get really dangerous on wet.
I would say that no first world country should allow tyres older than 10 years.

If car is staying in garage with consistent temperature, then tyres will degrade slowers. But if car is staying outside and rubber gets exposed to freezing and 30+ temperatures, tyres will get pretty bad in 10 years.

However, I want to say that newer tyres seem to hold their composition a lot better.