free hit
counters
Is this an original Lotus slatted rear window? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Is this an original Lotus slatted rear window?

Hi Guys,

I have seen these photos of a Turbo Esprit with an unusual looking slatted rear window cover. Did Lotus make cars like this or is it an aftermarket part? The vented windows I normally see are always black with simple horizontal slats that go the full width of the window.

Thanks 

SS.jpg

SS2.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

That looks normal to me apart from being painted to match the colour of the car.

• Like 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

They look too thick (and coloured) - here's mine

y4m3MFxIawIaP-YUWPi9kfcU5rhceHiqqU87icLP

• Gold FFM

Yes, they look the same as this to me

image.thumb.jpeg.b6380f05a255ef5ab2761ab64b99200d.jpeg

could it be that white, or the thickness of the paint used, makes the supports look bigger ?

• Like 1

From directly behind, they look like they are twice as think as mine, and the right side ones look thicker than those on the left. However, it is a MY85, so colour coded bumpers/mirrors is correct, maybe the later louvres have thicker supports, but normally being black, they aren't as obvious as when colour coded.

Here's the car: Latest News from Cotswold Classic Car Restorations

@Bling - you can check some on Sunday :)

My past and present G cars rear vented tail gate

C08073DF-4BF7-46DA-B3DF-FFEBC310EF4E.jpeg

9902AC2F-C249-432C-A281-27AD2FD33B23.jpeg

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

6 hours ago, GreenGoddess said:

Hi Guys,

I have seen these photos of a Turbo Esprit with an unusual looking slatted rear window cover. Did Lotus make cars like this or is it an aftermarket part? The vented windows I normally see are always black with simple horizontal slats that go the full width of the window.

Thanks 

SS.jpg

SS2.jpg

Maybe the bright white has made the leading edge disappear in the photo. The webs look thicker than on my cars  but look the same as the blue car in the other photo 

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• Gold FFM

It looks like the later cars. like the blue one and the white one had wider supports. Maybe a change/improvement that came at the same time as the suspension change in 1985 ?

They look original to me.  May be optical illusion they are wider as they are painted in white rather than the black they should be.

The early turbo cars had only a central single support.   I have a spare hatch at home that is fitted with louvres with single support.