free hit
counters
Lotus-less again....Emira wait... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus-less again....Emira wait...

Beady

After much deliberation, the 400 has gone to a new home via SOR at Silverstone.

The recent emergence of Emira has taken me by surprise a little - I was of course aware it was coming but had been guessing customer cars by late 2022 so I had planned to try something different for 18mths or so and then get look at coming back via Emira. But the timeline now maybe a bit quicker than this - cant wait for FOS in 2 months now.

New 400 owner doesn't seemed to have popped up on here yet.

So any ideas on how to spend £50k and not lose much over a year or two (other than an Evora or seemingly any Lotus).

• Like 1

construction and property consultants : My company

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

4C definitely a good shout otherwise you are heading for something with a 911 badge or a GTR? Ferrari 360? those should all hold value well (though the upkeep could ruin your life if you don't sell them soon enough!

It's very tricky as there is nothing that really compares to the 400 at c50k apart from another one! 

This could be a decent buy for the hold period you are looking for but they aren't always cheap to maintain as I understand matters. https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11561350.

A first gen exige V6S at c40k or an S2 exige for that matter might be a decent alternative that won't lose a lot more cash and you'd probably get a decent PX from your dealer on the Emira, while not costing the earth to run. But there does generally seem to be a bit of a bubble in anything interesting at the moment. 

46 minutes ago, trcm said:

Get a Caterham for the summer months ahead?

Or this. Love mine, and as a 20 year old superlight it didn't cost anywhere near to 50k in the first place!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Exige S Roadster, which is effectively a V6 Elise. Rare in early form 345bhp with no spoiler and a bit 'unknown'. Should hold value well.

Or fixed head Exige of 2015/16/17 vintage. 

Alpine is probably the one but I think it will depreciate more than Exige.

Save some dosh, GR Yaris. Not my thing at all being snore-wheel drive but should hold value reasonably well (though they are making quite a lot of them) and be entertaining. 

Most other stuff is too heavy to be of any tactile joy.

Justin

340R values are increasing, there is one on PH at £53k and another two on auction with similar target sale prices.  It's a tempting summer toy or possible longer term hold as I don't think it'll fall in value.  

• Gold FFM

340R is a genius driving machine. 5000 miler fetched 61k last month. Prices have been steady for 4 or 5 years now, having spiked from mid-20's about 10 years ago.

Justin 

If it doesn’t have to be modern/used as a daily you could look at some JDM classics? 

R33 GTR, Supra, RX7, you could also get a higher mileage NA1 NSX like this? http://www.nsxuk.com/#/1991-honda-nsx-manual-coupe-for-sale/ They are all holding/appreciating in value over the last few years. 

I started out looking for an NSX and then wanted something a little more modern and usable so shifted to the Evora. 

Current long list in no particular order:

Caterham - because i kinda think as a petrolhead everyone should have one at some time (although waiting to 'build one' in retirement is also a thought)

Elise S1 (as only had S2s)

Old 911 - 964 / 993 or earlier.

Alpine A110 

Vantage 4.7 (took one out last week - miles better than the 4.3 i tried a few years ago and feels like an itch I need to scratch)

R8 - early V8 manual -  seems to have bottom out on depreciation curve now

Maclaren 540/570 - because sometimes you just have to say fk it life's too short

or i might just hold and wallow around in the old Landy this summer

construction and property consultants : My company

With all prices being up over the last few months id would be sitting on it 

Unless you dont mind loosing afew k, there is a fairly large shortage of used cars seen quite afew people getting more back from WBAC for cars then when they purchased them 2 years ago!