free hit
counters
Evora door latch needed - Page 4 - Wanted - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora door latch needed

Jason Trevor

12 minutes ago, Markindevon said:

Hi all,

Well... that light at the end of the tunnel may be real after all...

Hendy's have just confirmed that the factory has said the latches should be dispatched on May 17th to them... Fingers crossed (again!)

Uh oh... I thought Silverstone actually had them in stock. Looks like I'll need to lower my expectations again! Fingers crossed they do actually arrive by May 17th, but my fingers have been crossed for 18 months now, and I fear they'll be forever stuck in that position. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
17 minutes ago, Markindevon said:

May 17th to them.

Well I suppose it is further from Norwich to Devon than Norwich to Silverstone...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Relic222 said:

Uh oh... I thought Silverstone actually had them in stock. Looks like I'll need to lower my expectations again! Fingers crossed they do actually arrive by May 17th, but my fingers have been crossed for 18 months now, and I fear they'll be forever stuck in that position. 

Let us know what Lotus Silverstone say on dates... though I would expect them all to be the same dispatch day at least 😉

Hope your fingers have the chance to recover eventually!

The first batch are being sent to dealers to fulfil back orders worldwide. 

If you don't have an order in, you're not on the back order list so you can either ask your dealer to order one or use TLF and you'll be added onto the list in date order of your, err, order.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well, I booked the car in yesterday for the 31st May for a service and to fit the door latch, so as long as they receive it by then, it shouldn't be a problem. I've been on the back order list since last January, so I'm hoping that is honoured 😂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the door latch situation.... I had my car booked in for next Monday as my dealer had been expecting the latch to be shipped yesterday.

Apparently, the latches have reached Lotus but they 'have to modify them' which apparently they are doing in batches and it will be another 2-3 weeks for mine.  

I've re-booked for a months time!

How can the factory have to re-engineer a new part??  I'd have expected any re-work to remove failure points would have been dealt with when they commissioned the batch... @Bibs (sorry to keep asking on this!) can you find out any more about what's going on... seems very odd to me.

It's not uncommon. I can't remember off the top of my head but one of the letters in the part numbers signifies that it's a part which is changed by Lotus for their stock as it needs modifying from the manufacturer. This is usually when it's a part from another OEM that is used on our cars. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ah!  Thanks @Bibs that sort of makes sense... but if it's a part that comes from another manufacturer, why has there been a 2 year wait for availability?

Not that it makes any actual difference to the eventual outcome but I would be very interested to know the details behind this saga!

Cheers...

#COVID I guess! Lots of these parts are made in China or India which closed plenty of their factories down and some still are. 

Evora NA

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have some good news. For the first time in 18 months I've been able to lock my car! New door latch fitted, all working correctly. The latch was fitted by Lotus Silverstone, they didn't mention any need for modification so I'm not sure what needed to be changed on yours @Markindevon

PXL_20220609_125931803.jpg

• Like 1

Well... That victory was very short lived. I took the car out for a quick drive today, and when I pulled up... The driver's door window dropped down slightly. Looks like my driver's side lock has now failed, just days after getting the passenger side on fixed.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what has happened with their order?! How can it be a further 8-10 weeks? Unfortunately I can definitely relate having waited 18 months for mine to arrive.

As for my driver's side lock, it's still broken and looks like a complete failure. The passenger side would detect the door being closed if I put pressure on the door, but the driver side doesn't register anything at all, so will need to spend another £400 getting that sorted soon.

Haha yeah. To be fair to my car, I've owned it for 4 years, and only had three issues with it - aircon failed early on, took 4 months to fix due to parts availability and a cock up by the dealer, passenger lock failed, took 18 months to fix due to stock, and now the driver's door has failed, but hopefully can get sorted quickly. So in my case, reliability has been decent, but when something goes wrong it takes an age to fix. 

• Like 1