free hit
counters
Am I just getting old? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Am I just getting old?

ramjet

Language.

When did words being omitted in the spoken word become a thing? When did all these abbreviations start occurring and are now the accepted norm? When did some words get modified and are now the accepted norm?

In both cases, some just don't sit well with me. Well ok. Not some. All of the ones I have mentioned below.

"Are you coming to ours?" Your what? "See you at mine." What? Mein kampf?

"Wow! Thats just Cray." (Or is it correctly/incorrectly spelt Kray?) Oh, you must mean crayfish as Cray used to be the accepted abbreviation for crayfish.

"I didn't mean to harm all those fluffy kittens your Honour, I just went Cray (Kray)." "Oh. That's ok then. Case dismissed."

"Hello bro." "Sorry, you must mean someone else. My name is Steven."

"Look! A 'ho." A what? A hoe down? Ho, Ho, Ho?

"Who wants 'slaw with their steak?" "No thanks. I'll just have some salad."

"I just texted him." No. It should be, "I just sent him a text." Soon we'll be saying that people in a vehicle accident are the 'crasher' and the 'crashee'.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. I was known to say "Cool."

And don't even get me started on made up words like 'bling'. Ugh.

I wonder when we will have developed, as a society, to the point of the following sentence being abbreviated and modified?

'I would like to ask you all around to our house for a barbecue. All meat and salads will be provided. As will drinks. Come around for a great time with some friends. No real dress code.'

'I texted you all to come to ours. Meat, 'slaw and drinks are free. Come and get Cray/Kray. (see above). Blings on you.'

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

You’ve just offended all the vegans - oh and the entire LGBGTQXYZ+~ community init.

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I would of responded but some of you're examples are sick innit guv

• Haha 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

So everyone's a comedian/comediene/funny person/funny persdaughter/funny human/funny huwoman/funny huwowoman/funnyhuwowowoman (I think that is enough of that last one) then? Sigh...................

And from a point of defence:

G'day - well before my time in Australia so I can lay no claim to its institution. No case to answer.

What's a vegan then? Someone who won't eat honey because it harms the bees? I am yet to see a plethora of bees on my front lawn all dying due to a lack of honey. How would we even know?

LGBGTQXYZ+ I think that might just be a bit of an exaggeration of other states of living? Maybe not. Who would know these days?

'Innit' & 'guv' I believe, came from a country in the Northern Hemisphere of our earth and cannot be contributed to us lot in the colonies. No case to answer.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, ramjet said:

What's a vegan then?

Usually middle aged. Angry. Shouty. And often incredibly superior.

In short hand, a pain in the arse!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I remain a huge fan of hey nonny nonny.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

51 minutes ago, Evotion said:

I don't quite get the importance of saying 'innit' at the end of every sentence. 😬

I used to use a lot of INIT' s in programming in PL/1 on IBM mainframes.

eg   DCL VARABLENAME   CHAR (5) INIT('LOTUS');

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

On Instagram so Danny has just educated me - you now have a choice of pronouns you can choose to be referred to as. I’m confused. Back in my day you either drunk lager or cider - the puffs drink wine or orange juice.

confused of worcestershire. 

apparently you can be PERS - but not PERV - so I’m fe&cked

• Haha 2

Only here once

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

I remain a huge fan of hey nonny nonny.

Shouldn't there be an apostrophe somewhere😜

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Gave all mine to the local greengrocer.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

On Instagram so Danny has just educated me - you now have a choice of pronouns you can choose to be referred to as. I’m confused. Back in my day you either drunk lager or cider - the puffs drink wine or orange juice.

confused of worcestershire. 

Or the ubiquitous Cooler.

5 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

I used to use a lot of INIT' s in programming in PL/1 on IBM mainframes.

eg   DCL VARABLENAME   CHAR (5) INIT('LOTUS');

Another IBM mainframe guy - brilliant! :thumbsup:

However - PL/1 is for wimps, cool guys use Assembler.

But I think we can both look down on COBOL programmers....

Bugger. I was using Cobol when I started Uni. That was back in 1986 though.

5 hours ago, tezzan said:

Another IBM mainframe guy - brilliant! :thumbsup:

However - PL/1 is for wimps, cool guys use Assembler.

But I think we can both look down on COBOL programmers....

You can run IBM assembler and early PL1 and cobol on your pc using the IBM mainframe emulator called  Hercules. It can run the genuine DOS, MVS and VM. As in the early days these mainframe software not protected by copyright.  I used to use Cobol and pl1 and assembler (sometimes on both DOS/VSE and MVS systems. IMS DB/DC etc..

ICL for me - early 1980s. Used Microsoft Basic on their DRS system (a very ahead of it's time system), then switched to Cobol on a 29xx mainframe, before moving to Microsoft VB6 on PCs through to C# today.

There is still a Visual Cobol out there - from Microfocus (they had Cobol on DRS as well)

1 hour ago, ChrisJ said:

before moving to Microsoft VB6 on PCs through to C# today

I still use VB6 for a few things I have written for myself. Did leave a few utility programs behind at my last job over 13 years ago.

Ever worked with Pick? I worked in recruitment for 18 years recruiting UniVerse/UniData/D3/RealityX developers! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My brother was the lead developer on OpenCobol (now Gnucobol) - I started on an ICL1904S using punched cards at uni. Then progressed to a Dec PDP11 using C.

When I went to work we used PO Coral (a modified version of Coral66) although I programmed in assembler which was bespoke as we developed the processors as well.

• Like 1
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

If I had a quid for everytime a polite young youth used the words

Innit
Bro or Bruv
Da
Nu-ink
Sic
Lit
Molly
Aint
Der
Ere

Some examples

I aint dun Nu-ink Man, you is the 50 innit bruv I aint a grass! "I haven't done anything sir, you are a policeman so I am not saying anything"

That Molly was der wen I got ere. You aint taking me for it. "That MDMA/Ecstasy was on the floor under my foot when I arrived. You can't arrest me!"

That Blow was sic (Or Lit) innit bruv. "That Cocaine was very nice thankyou my friend!"

Brap brap 50 yu get me bruv, said whilst pointing finger "I am going to shoot you Mr Policeman and there's nothing you can do about it because if anyone asks I am just joking, do you understand?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

One that always irritated me and was mainly used by Londoners at the end of every sentence, although isn’t heard so often now is…… ‘nah ot I mean?’ (Know what I mean?)

Was used even when the perpetrator didn’t necessarily expect an answer. I always wanted to say, every time I heard it, no I don’t know what you mean, please explain!

I suppose it is all part of the evolution of language and the spoken/written word, accelerated and made worse by social media platforms. Quite why folk feel the need to emulate gangsta rap lowlife in the way they communicate with others, I can’t imagine! 🤷‍♂️