free hit
counters
Header, Long Branch, Equal Length, Glowing Red - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Header, Long Branch, Equal Length, Glowing Red

I fabricated a long branch header for a low end torque, twin turbo system. It is absolutely equal length. 1&4 feed one turbo, 2&3 feed the other. The turbos are sized correctly.

When I rev to 3k RPM no load and hold it there for a couple of minutes it glows red hot like the cast iron manifold in the popular factory test photo. I would like some insight on mixture / cam adjustments to bring the temp down a bit and improve efficiency, I suspect the improvement in scavenging may have something to do with it. It is amazing how much easier and faster the engine revs vs the stock manifold / turbo.

Do the Alunox, etc SS manifolds glow like this during a short no load run?

Any input is welcomed.

Cheers, Lee

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the timing is retarded from Optimal, you can get the headers glowing. It could also be a lean mixture.

Some materials also have a lower temp rating, so if you used a material like this than they will just glow easier. Some Stainless alloys will do this.

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

The stock engine will glow a thick cast iron manifold, so anything thinner would heat up that much quicker. Assuming the right mixture, ignition and cam timing, I wouldn't worry about anything but keeping hot tubes away the frame and other components.

I would like to see a build thread or pics/info on the project, my intent is similar, but with a twin-scroll turbo fitted.

• Gold FFM

I noticed the first time when coming home on a dark night. Stuck the car in the garage and it looked like it had lights under it.

static will heat up quicker due to no air flow cooling of course. But they do get hot.

Only here once

Be careful with high loads at low rpm with added advance, especially if you're not monitoring AFR, as that's knock territory!

• 5 weeks later...
On 29/05/2021 at 09:53, snowrx said:

Be careful with high loads at low rpm with added advance, especially if you're not monitoring AFR, as that's knock territory!

Wisdom to live by with boosted engines.