free hit
counters
Fitting Elite clutch cable - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fitting Elite clutch cable

I have made some progress on the refurbishment of our Elite and today for the first time I pressed the clutch pedal down. It is very heavy which I understand is normal. I have read quite a bit about broken cables and various fixes using bicycle sprockets and chain sections. I am seeking advice on the removal of the current cable. At the pedal end is it possible to remove the cable and wheel without too much trouble. I am guessing that I will have to remove the seat and assume the std Lotus position of laying in the footwell facing to the sky ! Is there an easier way or am I on the right track?

Any tricks or hints welcome.

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first jobs I ever did on my first lotus an elite 501 was to change the clutch cable, (December 1981) was difficult to get at but did not take the seat out.

Had to borrow a large trolley jack from my father in law (a service manager at a garage) to get the car onto my stands.

From the manual...

DSCF3011.JPG

5 hours ago, dmottram said:

Working under the dash is never easy, especially as I am now into my 70s.

Yes I guess this would make things a lot harder, I am 66 now so when I did the cable I must have been 27-28 ish. Also difficult to get into the position to change the brake pedal switch. Hope it goes well.