free hit
counters
Elite Tailgate hinge hingepin - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Elite Tailgate hinge hingepin

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to split a tailgate hinge. Is the hinge pin a rolled pin that needs knocking out with a drift, or drilled out

thanks

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've removed several and they came out OK - perhaps soak in WD 40 for a few days?  If it still won't budge don't forget roll pins are really hard - use a new drill bit and plenty of coolant.

Pete

I really wouldn't try drilling the roll pin out. Early hinges were a softish alloy and even the later chromed ones will be softer than the pin. I can only see a drill tracking out the open side of the pin and trashing the hinge. 

Like Pete, I've knocked 2 or 3 sets out with nothing more than a punch and a nut to tap pin into. You can attack from either side. I seem to recall that one side had slightly smaller hole than the other on at least one hinge I did. 

Good luck. 

Tony