free hit
counters
Headlight pod movment - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlight pod movment

Is it normal for the headlamp pod to first go down an inch before coming up? Both sides does it. When it comes down all things is normal.

how can I fix it if it’s not normal...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not normal.

On the Stevens Esprit there are up and down stops for the motor arm so it’s impossible for the pods to drop further down before going up. Not sure if the G car with TR7 motors have similar stops or not...

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

And I don’t think they did that from the start at least I didn’t notis.

Its like the arm on the motor does a ful rotation to get them up and down.

I think this has to do with the angle of the arm which comes off the motor to the lift rod? If it is the wrong angle the arm rotates down a little before pushing the lamps up. The rod can be adjusted to suit the changed position of the arm. Mine does this on one side slightly and it means the pods are slightly out of sync. I shall try and sort this weekend... 

34 minutes ago, skiing said:

I think this has to do with the angle of the arm which comes off the motor to the lift rod? If it is the wrong angle the arm rotates down a little before pushing the lamps up. The rod can be adjusted to suit the changed position of the arm. Mine does this on one side slightly and it means the pods are slightly out of sync. I shall try and sort this weekend... 

If you manage to sort it out, please tell me how 😉

I am rebuilding the motors (never seen them working on my car) I was expecting for the arm to move 50/50 between the end positoins however it is more like 1/3 - 2/3  so I am wondering if the pods go down first before they go up. looking for a video on youtube but can't find anything so I need to find a local esprit to see how they work

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 09:49, sunste said:

Is it normal for the headlamp pod to first go down an inch before coming up? Both sides does it. When it comes down all things is normal.

Yes, normal. The motors only rotate one way and the down rest position is before the lowest point of the movement.

There are no motor stops on the G cars

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2021 at 10:49, sunste said:

Stefan, I've been testing mine and they go down 16mm before they go up, I have rewired them, now they work like they do on the stevens esprit. looks much better and they go up faster

16 hours ago, lotus-62 said:

Stefan, I've been testing mine and they go down 16mm before they go up, I have rewired them, now they work like they do on the stevens esprit. looks much better and they go up faster

Ok nice! How did you manage to rewire it to work like the stevens?

as I am rewiring my whole car it was easy to do, don't know how it works on a existing wiring loom...

basically 1 relais for Up,  1 for Down  with the "copper strip" as end switch for the Up and Down relais. 

you need one more relais to let them work with the light switch,  (this relais gets it power from main beam, flash and the normal driving lights) so the pods go up in al 3 light settings.  

I have the lights on separate relais as well so the light switch is just for the control signals and not for the main current.  

the common contact from both end switches is the copper strip) 

lift motor.jpg

• Like 2