free hit
counters
securing the jack to boot floor - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest teigan

securing the jack to boot floor

Guest teigan

is there a way to orient the jack so that it doesn't file away the boot floor in the process. those metal clamps seem to be the wrong size no matter how i insert the jack, and it moves about. i've taken to velcro tiedowns, but the end nearest the front bumper has nothing to tie to. if i remove the spare tire, the jack would actually twist loose in a tight turn. has anyone had success with the stock hardware? just thought i'd ask before i fabricate my own.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Guest teigan

if lotus supplies the jacket then i'm in. maybe that should be standard issue on new cars.

On all the old supercars anything that wasnt to make the car go/ stop/corner faster

and look better was designed by the tea lady. :D

The Lotuses jack securing bracket is a example of this. :P

Your jack on your Ford is secure? :P

Lovely :huh:

Guest teigan

i haven't owned a ford since the '69 mach I, but that jack mount was heavy duty; as was the rest of the car. that tea lady was colin chapman in drag.

Edited by teigan

Guest teigan

i saw an original street version GT40 at an auto museum. it had jute ropes for door handles. the ferarri F40 copied that innovation in the late eighties.

Guest teigan

cripes! is that for real? i couldn't even afford the insurance policy on that. the recent reissues are very cool too, although i wish they hadn't made the body so much larger.

Never seen a new one in real life. :P

They appear to have stylised and exaggerated features almost in a cartoonish way :huh:

The old car was all business like a race car is supposed to be. :D

You can look at Sir Anthony' GT40 on www.gelscoemotorsport.co.uk

They also look after the 250 GTO B)

I have never seen any GT40 :P But I have heard rumours that in next week's Historic Grand Race (here in Ahvenisto track) is new GT40 as a pace car :huh: And one Ferrari 250 Daytona :D

This Historic Grand Race is the same happening where I met my car at first time as for sale :P (last year).

I will take some photos in next weekend :P Let's hope weather is any better than in this week (it's raining the whole week).

They had a big GT40 reunion at Watkins Glen about 3 yrs. ago. Got to see all the GT40's that raced at Le Mans. It was mind blowing( for me) :D

They dont sound like a Ferrari, thats for sure! :huh:

theglenreunion.jpg

Edited by WayneB

The GT40 and the Ford GT are absolutely *awesome* cars! I can't think of a single other mainstream motor manufacturer that has managed to make a *genuine* and desirable supercar. Let alone an Aemrican one - sorry guys! The Saleen is the most hideously styeld p.o.s Ive seen fully utilising the stereotype of American "everything AND the Kitchen Sink" philosophy More is usually NOT more!! :P "Step AWAY from the CAD workstation.. you were done about 3 weeks ago!"

The closest anyone else has come is the XJ220 but I don't think it counts as Im not sure I would consider Jaguar to be a mainstream brand.

I had a brief e-mail chat with the director of the GT40 club... He seemed quite keen on the Esprit. Said we would be welcome at their meets :D

In all fairness to Ford they do have quite a good track record for making pretty awesome street cars - the Cossie, Sapph and now the RS

Vauxhall look like they are *desperate* to break into the 'yoof' market and be seen as makers of hot cars with their new VXR (or whatever it is) sub-brand thing... SO why on bloody earth have they just made an uprated version of the Monaro / HSV... and CANNED IT! :huh:

Reading this, i'm thinking that having my Jack in the car

is a waste of time. I'm lucky as it does not rattle (i think),

but i never use it!

I always use the trolley jack at home.

My spare is 15 years old, so i'd never put it on.

I don't trust the little bed on the standard Jack,

figure i'll have car in the air then...

CraAAAACK!

And car comes down with the jack punching a hole through the

GRP sill! I don't think it spreads the weight enough, and would always

call breakdown to get me home (or to a tyre dealer if i'm really lucky).

After all, the Esprit with the space saver on is wasting fun miles.

:huh:

Paul, I had only just managed to drag this thread on to an interesting subject (GT40) :P

Why did you have to go talk about jacks again? :huh:

Get back in your shed! :D

gt40.jpg

Edited by WayneB

Paul, I had only just managed to drag this thread on to an interesting subject (GT40) :P

Why did you have to go talk about jacks again? :P

Get back in your shed! :P

I am sorry Wayne :huh:

Thought i'd got the hang of this thread digression thing,

and then i go and make a fool of myself by going wildly

back on topic. I will indeed remain shedbased for today.

:P

As a pennance, here's three GT40 reps that were at a car show

that I, GB Brown, Pitstoppete and Lrg machine attended earlier this

year. look in the left hand top corner and you can see Petes Silver SE,

And if you look real close, my SE behind his! (both of these cars,

including mine, have a chargecooler by the way)

:D

three-fourty.JPG

Can only assume this guy is trying to secure his Jack... :P

jack-finding.JPG

:(

Some guy bends over and Pauls right in with the camera :huh:

Not too keen on the replicas, the really good ones are almost as expensive as a real GT40. Safir used to make the nicer reps. :D

safir.jpg

Edited by WayneB

Guest teigan

i like the good replicas, since you can drive them panic-free.

paul C, if you remove the spare tire and jack, there are endless creative possibilities as to best use of said space. kylie once suggested a wine cooler. i'm off to a road track, so currently that space is full of sandbags. we should have a "what's under your bonnet?" poll.

i like the good replicas, since you can drive them panic-free. 

paul C, if you remove the spare tire and jack, there are endless creative possibilities as to best use of said space.  kylie once suggested a wine cooler.  i'm off to a road track, so currently that space is full of sandbags.  we should have a "what's under your bonnet?" poll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm leaving them in as ballast!

My S3 was light as hell at the front at about 130mph

My SE is solid as hell, no idea if it's down to the air dam,

the suspension or anything else, but i'm not taking anything

out of the front just in case!

:P

S350s have no spare, but then with their big wheels/tyres and PAS,

i would imagine the front end weighs the same to compensate?

:D

As for what to store?

Some treated timber and a hammer!

Then i could get to meets real early and knock up a

shed real quick, so i could hide from everyone!

:huh:

I've never seen a good GT40 replica. It really doesn't make sense. Something still looks wrong on the one you posted Wayne, can't see exactly what... what's up with that.

1a_12_sb.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIBERFAB-GT...1QQcmdZViewItem

d0_12_sb.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit...1QQcmdZViewItem

e4_12_sb.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiberfab-AV...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by slade

Slade,the black car you have posted is a Fiberfab Avenger. I dont think it was ever meant to be a GT40 replica, its just in that style. :huh:

There is other kits available one that fits on a Fiero . :D

The original GT40 was a steel monocoque . Most of the better replicas have tube frames.

When I were a lad many years ago our local garage had a GT40 for sale. (The garage had Lotus, Lamborghini, Marcos and Reliant dealerships.) You could often see it rumbling around town. Gorgeous!

Saw the new GT at a car show in Santa Barbara the other week and hated the interior. The whole thing looked too much like a full-size plastic kit.

By the way, I went down to the dealership one day and it changed over to an exclusive Fiat dealer. AAAAAARGHH.

Guest teigan

3 of my local dealerships displayed them prominently. they all got shipped back to ford due to factory recalls, and never returned. the GT40 reissue had been subcontracted to saleen, and they messed up colossally. ford can't possibly break even on this product line.

I have never seen any GT40  :( But I have heard rumours that in next week's Historic Grand Race (here in Ahvenisto track) is new GT40 as a pace car  ;) And one Ferrari 250 Daytona  :)

This Historic Grand Race is the same happening where I met my car at first time as for sale  :) (last year).

I will take some photos in next weekend  :) Let's hope weather is any better than in this week (it's raining the whole week).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ford GT40 will not be here on next weekend :( Actually it isn't in Finland right now. Something to do with Ford asking cars back to factory (to check something ;) ). I was so excited to see new GT40 :):)

What I heard Ferrari is going to be there :)