free hit
counters
Driveshaft removal? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Driveshaft removal?

1984 Turbo Esprit, US spec.

My Esprit has sat for too long, about 5 years due to what I think is a bad clutch issue (when I press the pedal I would hear a sort of "graunching" should but from the pedal area, not the gearbox end).  Other projects just got in the way.

Anyway, I am now ready to tackle this and of course several other things will need looking at so I am thinking of pulling the engine and gearbox out together and going through everything, like belts, any suspect gaskets, seals etc.

I have the Lotus service manual but nowhere in it can I find information on removing the driveshafts to lift out the engine.  I have searched this and other forums and found there are a few ways to separate the driveshafts.  I am fairly handy with the spanners and have tackled engine out and rebuilds on several other classics, but the Esprit seems to be a unique beast and I am little nervous.  I'd like the least invasive if that's possible recommendation on the driveshaft removal please.

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbolt them from the transaxle & lower them out of the way. 

I never had to remove the engine from an Esprit but I replaced several wheel bearings & seem to recall that's all I did :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

As John says, there are 6 allenhead screws to attach the driveshafts to the driveshaft adaptors on the transaxle. You Just need to unscrew these 6 screws.   However they are likely to be very tight, so use a good quality 3/8 or 1/4 square drive allen key (cant remember size of allen key - maybe 8mm).

You can leave the discs and adaptors in place on the transaxle, although I prefer to remove them to give a bit more room for manouver.

Edited by 910Esprit

5 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

As John says, there are 6 allenhead screws to attach the driveshafts to the driveshaft adaptors on the transaxle. You Just need to unscrew these 6 screws.   However they are likely to be very tight, so use a good quality 3/8 or 1/4 square drive allen key (cant remember size of allen key - maybe 8mm).

You can leave the discs and adaptors in place on the transaxle, although I prefer to remove them to give a bit more room for manouver.

Great, thanks for that clarification.