free hit
counters
Road trip fort William / loch Ness - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Road trip fort William / loch Ness

• Gold FFM

Looking at doing a road trip with my daughter as she want to see Loch Ness 

thinking doing it over 5 days maybe stopover near Carlisle then onto fort William doing reverse on way home 

anyone done this and any tips 

first long journey road trip ever in my Evora 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

We did this (and more) last September. We stopped in Shap, but I would recommend just going a bit further to the lakes (Windemere looks lovely).

We then stayed in a hotel overlooking the flight of locks just outside Fort William. I would recommend that (can't think of the name just yet but there is only one!)

I did it from Hampshire in my Esprit. You will love it in your Evora!

The Loch Ness Experience is a bit touristy but very well done.

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, tim_marra said:

Fort William is very overpriced. Avoid.

Looking at prices of hotels there’s not much variance all start from £120 per night 

the Ben Nevis hotel is large car park and pool etc so I am limited in selection ?

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, tim_marra said:

We paid £125 for a place in FW. Across at Inverness a room can be had for less in a far superior hotel plus a great breakfast.

Don’t think I will get all the way across to Inverness as only get two days in fort William ? 

Hi Clive. FW tends to be expensive as it's a tourist town, that's its main market due to it being placed bang central for all things outdoor, so prices will be slightly higher than surrounding areas. If you do stay there then the drive to Ft Augustus isn't too long and you can catch the Cruise Loch Ness trips from there. They will no doubt tell you that they caught a large object on sonar sometime last year which was verified by various sonar experts and the sonar company themselves as a living object around 15-20 ft long. You can tell that to your daughter before you go which will no doubt ramp up her excitement even more!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@cdm2018 - my tuppence, stay away from the lake district - expensive and busy.  

If you're coming up from the South on the M6 think about coming off at the Tebay junction (A685) and head to the Orton Scar cafe for lunch (B6260). In Orton itself there is Kennedy's Fine Chocolates were your daughter will love picking her custom selection of chocolates/confectionary with the chocloates made on site. Also, local made ice cream that is lovely. A nice place to just stretch your legs, enjoy some quiet on the journey.

Then head up on some great roads for the Lotus to Appleby. Across the A66 East and then turn off at Barnard Castle and head north up through Teesdale (B6277) (stunning High Force Waterfall - well worth a stop and walk to), Kielder (Shilling Pot Road takes you round the lake - simply stunning road) to take you up towards Peebles in the Borders.  Truly stunning roads to Peebles and maybe stay at the Hydro there (pool, great borders down, lots to do and see).

That would be my preferred route in to Scotland.  Happy to help with other routes once in Scotland but that route from Tebay to Peebles is on stunning driving roads, ideal for the Lotus.

image.thumb.png.3446f4e2d54a9e33236984785edad894.png

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
On 16/06/2021 at 10:56, C8RKH said:

@cdm2018 - my tuppence, stay away from the lake district - expensive and busy.  

If you're coming up from the South on the M6 think about coming off at the Tebay junction (A685) and head to the Orton Scar cafe for lunch (B6260). In Orton itself there is Kennedy's Fine Chocolates were your daughter will love picking her custom selection of chocolates/confectionary with the chocloates made on site. Also, local made ice cream that is lovely. A nice place to just stretch your legs, enjoy some quiet on the journey.

Then head up on some great roads for the Lotus to Appleby. Across the A66 East and then turn off at Barnard Castle and head north up through Teesdale (B6277) (stunning High Force Waterfall - well worth a stop and walk to), Kielder (Shilling Pot Road takes you round the lake - simply stunning road) to take you up towards Peebles in the Borders.  Truly stunning roads to Peebles and maybe stay at the Hydro there (pool, great borders down, lots to do and see).

That would be my preferred route in to Scotland.  Happy to help with other routes once in Scotland but that route from Tebay to Peebles is on stunning driving roads, ideal for the Lotus.

image.thumb.png.3446f4e2d54a9e33236984785edad894.png

Cheers for that !

I will look at the routes might look at the boat trips on loch 

will Google other things to do in area for a my daughter she likes rides so if there is a zip wire type of place she be  wanting to do that 😮

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

Cheers for that !

I will look at the routes might look at the boat trips on loch 

will Google other things to do in area for a my daughter she likes rides so if there is a zip wire type of place she be  wanting to do that 😮

Blair Drummond Safari park just outside Stirling. There you can zip wire over the river whilst the monkeys admire the car :)  The roads just north of there through the Trossachs, up over Rannoch Moor, around Loch Tay, simply stunning. Also try out GoApe in Aberfoyle, a great drive from Blair Drummond to there too!

Any help you need, anything specific your looking for, let me know. You also have TreeZone in Aviemore and Landmark Forest Park too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I've done a Scotland trip a number of times now and coincidentally I am going in a couple of weeks again. Here are a number of my routes over 5/6 days that may be of some help to you..

Day 1 -  https://goo.gl/maps/cu41L6TGUamqVSJZ6

Day 2 - https://goo.gl/maps/vkV6G3B7U3upbYXMA

Day 3 - https://goo.gl/maps/Z1P43HgYsBvZcBG2A

Day 4 - https://goo.gl/maps/chaSppjsjvqungvY9

Day 5 - https://goo.gl/maps/MMF8LqB8nZ11iyep7

I'm a massive fan of the Trossachs/Duke's Pass but for me it tends to be a detour from my route to get there and if it's busy it can be frustrating. However, on a traffic free, dry day, it's amazing to drive. My favourite road for pure hooning is the ScotburgRing to Kinlochleven.

As C8RKH said there's amazing roads through Yorkshire, Kielder and Northumberland. I'd avoid Lake District if you want to press on as it can be busy.

There are beautiful beaches spread all over Scotland so plenty of choices, one of the nicest spots we stopped for lunch is down a little track in Samalaman bay.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Some nice roads @jaws and you pass about 8  miles from my house, so if you fancy a brew...

you've missed the top roads in the NW. Inverness to Lairg, Altnahara, Tongue, Durness (You have to visit Cocoa Mountain, Swedish coffee, hot chocolates and home made chocolates) - it's a must for everyone lol  ) Then continue the loop South and along Loch Shinn.

Be careful re Applecross. Stunning up over the pass but it's like the M25 just now. Rammed. So not fun! Those roads I mention in the top NW are always just that bit less busy.

Finally, ALL, please be aware that there have been significant complaints re wreckless driving around the NC500 route, as a result Police Scotland are being extra vigilant and visible. Be careful and stay safe.

• Like 2

@C8RKH I'm not sure you'd appreciate 8 cars and 16 idiots turning up on your doorstep 😃

Agree on the Applecross pass, you have to catch it at the right time. Been there the last couple of years and will probably give it a miss this year.

We did the route to Tongue etc a couple of years ago and it was good but we felt I large proportion of it wasn't as technical/twisty as we'd like. I find the scenery, driving etc better further west.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Have you been yet, or what dates are you thinking?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

• Gold FFM

Just arrived in Gretna Green on stop over back home 

left the mountains and adorable scenery behind now 🥲

been epic and privilege for mr to drive those routes car was fantastic once I cleared the codes in morning 

by the time I get home tomorrow evening will have covered just over 1k miles that’s 4 months of normal driving for me .

if anyone has never been up to these roads in their pride and joys , I would recommend so highly .

even my young daughter didn’t complain too much she managed to enjoy the scenery but still watch her movies too. 
we want to put together a modest u tube video of our trip and in due time will get it edited etc and uploaded 

• Like 2