free hit
counters
Building Material Costs (split from Evora Market Watch) - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Building Material Costs (split from Evora Market Watch)

• Gold FFM
26 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Err, take a peek at the housing market!! 

exactly now take on board a post from a few days ago eco therm / celotex going up 14 to 17% as of today, given the green criteria we have for new builds and extensions etc insulation plays an important part and so companies like celotex for sure produce in the uk so how do they justify 14/17% rise ? because that will just be passed on to the house owner, government should at least step in on important items like insulation and try to curb the increase because it again leads to fuel poverty but i guess greta has that all sorted   

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Timber has gone mad - so has concrete and aggregates. 
steel has seen massive uplifts - copper 40% in the last few months.

I’m at the point of holding back quoting on hen sheds since the entire content is copper, steel or plastic based all of which has increased uncontrollably in recent months.

ready to sit it out for a while and breathe 👍

• Sad 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

I’m at the point of holding back quoting on hen sheds since the entire content is copper, steel or plastic based all of which has increased uncontrollably in recent months.

so my biggy car fund is in junior copper miners !!! weird tho but despite the "obvious" copper need / bull run its just kinda sitting there waiting to go which it will do and has to do but yes inflation is going to hurt and is not being reported atm

Anyway, while I'm guilty myself I'm sure there's another topic for that. I was just pointing out it's not just cars where prices are going crazy. Perhaps someone can start a housing market or building materials cost thread 👍

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Price of glass has also gone mad. Double glazing Companies can’t get any and have a two/three month wait on installing as even they are struggling to get their hands on any.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

MDF has rocketed last year paid £24 a sheet, just paid £39 and was rationed to half my order. Won't be long before timber lorries are mugged

• Sad 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

the BOE tend to use interest rate to curb inflation but according to "their" figures there is no inflation and i doubt if the economy wud take kindly to a rise at the moment so end of line goods will continue to rise including houses 🙄

• Gold FFM

A huge American construction company has bought the large Scandinavian sawmills that produce vast quantities of softwood that come to the uk and Europe. and now send all that timber directly to the states hence shortages and price increase

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Timber has gone mad

Apparently it's been a bad harvest this coupled with high demand, we have just bought up all of Homebases  shiplap as we are weatherproofing a barn. Timber prices are expected to rise by at least 50% by the end of the year. Cement is impossible to get at the moment as well - a bit odd as it is readily manufactured in the UK.

Edit - Our builder has just said some are claiming wood could be up 100% by the end of the year.

• Sad 1

• Gold FFM

This is going to impact the building trade massively if prices continue to rise- people won’t have the smaller works,extensions/renovations as building work will become prohibitive - and it’s got to have an impact on new build housing which will rise to even more ludicrous prices.

• Sad 1

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, march said:

Cement is impossible to get at the moment as well - a bit odd as it is readily manufactured in the UK.

Got 12 bags no problem yesterday. Wickes and B&Q have plenty round out way. All the builders merchants however are sold out and have been for weeks.

Only here once

like used car prices, this is a bubble - most larger building companies I speak with seem to think the materials increases will be short term, although that could be anywhere from 6-18 mths

construction and property consultants : My company

Doubt that. The demand is worldwide. 

2 hours ago, Ali tuck said:

- and it’s got to have an impact on new build housing which will rise to even more ludicrous prices.

Materials are a small part of the build, the selling price of a new house is based on as much as the developer can get

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

sadly prices dont seem to drop when they can as the supply chain just pockets the additional profit blaming brexit or a warm winter or covid etc etc etc but this inflation on prices (and not just building materials) isnt good for any of us sadly 🙄

• Like 1

Many of the raw materials we need to manufacture finished goods are becoming near impossible to get hold of. I finally extricated myself from my business of near 30 years in January this year, but still visit occasionally.

My (now ex) business partner was telling me this week that galvanised steel, which last September was selling for around £600/tonne is currently moving northwards of £1600 - if you can get it at all. 

Apparently, China, which was a major exporter of galvanised steel (crap though it was), is now a net importer. China’s economy is currently booming and so they are buying up many of the raw materials being produced in the world. Similar happened around 15 years ago when China were expanding their manufacturing base, which then resulted in them flooding the world market with raw materials at sub economic prices.

This had the effect of destroying much of the U.K. and European manufacturing capability. I fear similar will happen yet again over the next few years! 

But do we learn from it???

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Prices started going up when I started my extension/refurb project they will come down immediately I finish. I am lucky like that. Say 10 weeks and all materials will be at an all time low which will be exactly 97 minutes after the last bit of cladding goes on. 

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, pete said:

Doubt that. The demand is worldwide. 

Materials are a small part of the build, the selling price of a new house is based on as much as the developer can get

Not really if you take into account the massive infrastructure required around a large housing estate