free hit
counters
The end for the Evora - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The end for the Evora

scotty435

2 hours ago, au-yt said:

Justin, When I listen to the comments about the EMIRA I constantly refect on how relevant they are to the EVORA, no money for decent marketing is more than likely the reason

The other reason is probably just bad timing. Being on sale in the wake of the GFC is rotten luck, then a few years later you’re forgotten as newer things come out…

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Great update @blindside. Thank you.

Sounds like a totally different experience to the 4xx Evora's with their high torque lower in the range meaning you can be lazy and quick on the road.

I like the idea of revving to 8k and keeping it hot! 

SOunds like a great edition to your stable and I doubt a GT3 will disappoint.

• Thanks 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Yan said:

@blindside - side by side, how does the gearing suitability for B roads compare?

It’s hard to give you an objective answer. The engine characteristics are very different and obviously have a big impact on how you get the best out the gears. The GT4’s ‘sweet spot’ is much higher up the rev range. Once you get used to it the GT4 is (for me) a little easier to drive quickly on B roads, with less of a need for fine tuning gear selections. As the stats in your link confirm you can get 80mph plus at the top end of 2nd gear & 115 in third. Whether that’s a good thing in a road car is a moot point. Probably depends on your mood & desire to be challenged. 

Can you trundle around town at 30mph in 4th in the GT4? I find these highly geared German cars counter-productive when designed for fuel economy. I just end up driving around a gear or two lower than with a normal box, which completely defeats the object.

• Gold FFM

Variety is the spice of life. Especially in the petrolhead firmament. The ultimate ownership goal if you are fortunate enough should be a repeatedly big smile on your face. Both the GT430 & GT4 do that in spades. 😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Can you trundle around town at 30mph in 4th in the GT4? I find these highly geared German cars counter-productive when designed for fuel economy. I just end up driving around a gear or two lower than with a normal box, which completely defeats the object.

Yeah I agree. My other car is an i30N, it is always telling me to shift up. Claimed 8L/100km, I get more like 13, and I’m a pretty conservative driver! On the freeway at 100kph in 6th, I joked to my wife I’m surprised it’s not asking me to change to 7th…

Trouble is buying a Porsche is an anti-variety move. Most fast car buyers think you have to be raving mad to spend the same or more than a Cayman GT4 on an Evora. Porsche’s dominance has come at the expense of several smaller sports car companies, not all of which were British, some were German too. So you’re either fuelling the overs madness, contributing to Porsche’s success or taking a stand against it (insignificant perhaps but at least not making it worse). The press won’t support the underdog alternatives, that’s left to buyers.

• Gold FFM

Perceptive comments @jimichanga However, most of the premium sports car makers (Porsche included) have had their backs to the wall business wise at some stage in their history. How they’ve dealt with it (or not) may be a pity, but ultimately you can’t buck the market. If any car manufacturer produces great cars that customers want to buy then good for them. Seeking to penalise any company by not buying their products because they are too successful is unrealistic and worse than the “anti-variety” concern. Regardless of pricing aberrations, market supply manipulation, publicity hype etc.

Regarding the gearing comparisons, the ratios may well be similar on paper, but the GT4’s higher revving engine encourages holding lower gears for much longer to get the best from it. The supercharged Toyota V6 is more conventional around its power delivery at lower revs. In my humble opinion Anyway.😊

• Gold FFM

You could argue @blindside also though that Porsche's success has been "bought" through it's marketing budget (publicity), market supply manipulation etc AT THE COST of variety (i.e. competition).  Ultimately, that's not good for any true petrolhead as you end up with a market that has been manipulated so customers feel they have to buy them or they're on the outside.

Anyways, I do think the GT4 is a great car and worthy of a place in any pretrolhead's garage. As is any variety of the GT3, from the first to the last.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Your GT430 is special in ways a Cayman GT4 will never be for me but I’m starting to get the impression that your future lies more with Porsche than Lotus. A shame if so but you’ve done your bit to support Lotus and they have the backing to fend for themselves now and you were one who helped a great marque during the lean times.

• Gold FFM

Spot on.

I want to see Lotus be a huge success, but it feels like it will be at the cost of that DNA and with little regard for previous owners.  Can't put my finger on it, it's just how it feels. But it seems that "new" Lotus has drawn a line in the sand and pre 2021 is now firmly in the past for them and of little interest, however significant some things may have been.

• Like 2