free hit
counters
The end for the Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The end for the Evora

scotty435

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I'm sure the GT has many improvements, but I was surprised they were so critical of the original Evora.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Fair enough, I've only driven an S (and very briefly) so can compare myself. Other articles seemed more positive about early Evora's, which got me wondering if it was maybe just the expectations that have moved on since the original launch.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Probably depends on particular age of car, tyres etc. As some of those points were resolved throughout the S1 development. My car definitely has a dead pedal for a start.

Handling on and above the limit, I don't think it snaps to me but it will oversteer on entry if you are aggressive and off the power, the weight transfer pulls the tail wide, but you either have to be transitioning or trying to upset it IMO. Then, yes mild undesteer once back on the throttle that it usually dials out on it's own if you stick with it but you can also get a whiff of oversteer on throttle on exit dependant on when you stand on the throttle amongst other things... So I partially agree

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, EGTE said:

I thought they were criticising the Evora S, not the original.

Still wish they'd brought the GT to the UK market.

Yes, the S. The even say, "driving the Evora S....."

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

We take his point but it’s exaggerated in both directions. The S was never that bad and is still better in some ways such as ride quality, seats and interior.

But it’s not the end of the Evora, it lives on in the Emira.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Can't disagree with anything you said their @jep. I agree the design of the S1 interior is very cohesive, the 4xx less so, however apart from the design, the "build" in the 4xx is much better.

Not trying to nit-pick here, I love both cars.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

In my experience, there is quite a gap in build quality between the early car and the MY12+ cars as well. The fit and finish felt a lot more 'solid' on the MY12+ than the earlier car. Not that it would be a deal breaker for me.

None of the ones I looked at rattled which is a first in my experience, practically everything else I've been in British/Japanese/German has had a few rattles, even some brand new cars!

• Like 1

The Evora is a brilliant sports tourer let down by poor marketing. 11 years on and most of my contemporaries, apart from the Lotus tragics, are still unaware  of it.

Gordon Murray quote -

“For the F1 we benchmarked the Honda NSX because that was the best ride and handling compromise I’d ever driven at that point. Up until now, the best handling car I’d ever driven was a Lotus Evora - that’s including all the supercars - and then I bought my Alpine and it’s even better."

Hope they dont just rely on Lotus lovers and car mags to market the Emira.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanA said:

The Evora is a brilliant sports tourer let down by poor marketing.

Poor marketing was only part of the issue. Most people considered the Evora underpowered at launch. Considering Lotus was and still is a fledgling company with a poor dealership network with very little brand recognition launching a new car that (on paper) seemed lackluster I am unsure what they expected.

Most Lotus are cars they need to be test driven enthusiastically to be truly experienced. Without that test drive there is almost nothing, besides maybe the looks, that will get people to drive the 2+ hours to their closest dealer to give it a shot.

1 hour ago, IanA said:

Hope they dont just rely on Lotus lovers and car mags to market the Emira.

I agree, but all the problems listed above for the Evora still exist for the Emira. This is why I said in the Emira threads I think it needs to not just "almost as good" or "can hold its own against" the competition, but it really needs to beat the competition and beat them cleanly. If you want people to make the trip to test drive an Emira you have to have some bait worth making the trip for.

I am not convinced (based on what we have heard so far) that this will be the case. Of course this could all change in July. I am sure the Emira will be a good car, but IMO so was the Evora, especially once we got to the 400/GT generation. Yet, even with all the positive reviews, they couldn't sell them.

Great marketing  can help, but you still need something the public wants. Lotus just isn't in the position to tell the customer what they want like Porsche. They need to give the public something they didn't think they wanted until they saw it.

• Like 1

My main point is that you need to create demand from outside of the Lotus or petrolhead community for this type of car and that this requires more than car mag reviews.  Broad interest generated then encourages car dealerships to respond.

Identify target market segments for the particular car and select appropriate advertising / promotional media for those segments and concentrate on what makes the car different.

While many in the population may not be able to identify current Lotus models, the brand does have good recall on which a targeted marketing campaign can be built.

Don't think it should be about horsepower, which is where it will go for the Emira if it they don't  take a different approach to the usual.  

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Likuid said:

Most Lotus are cars they need to be test driven enthusiastically to be truly experienced. Without that test drive there is almost nothing, besides maybe the looks, that will get people to drive the 2+ hours to their closest dealer to give it a shot.

I would absolutely agree with that first sentence. In fact imho my Evora and it’s capabilities were not obvious for the first couple of drives. 

Maybe a new model of test drives would be a great idea with some track focus at some decent test locations. How you financially qualify people for that sort of thing is another consideration.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

When I tested the Evora I never sat or knew lotus cars ! I tested a Porsche and BMW prior and those were 20 mins tests drives 

did I say wow after my Evora test drive not exactly as going around urban areas with a dual carriageway driving thrown in wasn’t exhilarating 

however I knew the look and yes practicality of Evora was good enough coupled with my research 

to be honest and I might get shot here so please it’s my thoughts only

i love the fact my Evora indeed lotus is a rare car do I want to see tens of thousands of newer lotus cars on the road ? No 

however I accept all companies need to make money etc 

• Gold FFM

Really? The reason I own a Lotus is for the way it drives. As it is for every car I own be it Renault, Jaguar or Lotus.

If I liked the way a 911 drove, I'd own one. 

I hope I see a Lotus on every street within 10 years from now. 

Justin 

• Like 2