free hit
counters
S3 Turbo 1985 steering column - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S3 Turbo 1985 steering column

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don’t know the make and model, Lotus Marques (Australia) notes the steering *rack* is Burman; not sure if the full column is the same. But that may be a starting point, at least (?). 

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

@James.007 I'm as interested as you to find out as I was trying to source the steering lock.

After much searching of forums and the general internet I found no definite answer, a few guesses based on not a lot and almost certainly wrong, along with a lot of don't knows.

My best guess, based mainly on the steering lock key pattern and looking at lots of photos, is that it's from a Vauxhall Firenza. Which seems in keeping with Lotus as they seem to often use parts from less common models presumably because they are cheaper. The Firenza used a very similar column to the Vauxhall Viva and Magnum, but a different steering column lock.

Unfortunately I've not been able lay my hands on one to confirm my guess. I suspect that Firenza's are rarer than Esprits now.

Of course my guess could easily be as wrong as the others.

16 hours ago, greentengu said:

While I don’t know the make and model, Lotus Marques (Australia) notes the steering *rack* is Burman; not sure if the full column is the same. But that may be a starting point, at least (?). 

I am not familiar with the Burman model, but will do further research. 

1 hour ago, NG5 said:

@James.007 I'm as interested as you to find out as I was trying to source the steering lock.

After much searching of forums and the general internet I found no definite answer, a few guesses based on not a lot and almost certainly wrong, along with a lot of don't knows.

My best guess, based mainly on the steering lock key pattern and looking at lots of photos, is that it's from a Vauxhall Firenza. Which seems in keeping with Lotus as they seem to often use parts from less common models presumably because they are cheaper. The Firenza used a very similar column to the Vauxhall Viva and Magnum, but a different steering column lock.

Unfortunately I've not been able lay my hands on one to confirm my guess. I suspect that Firenza's are rarer than Esprits now.

Of course my guess could easily be as wrong as the others.

Yes I think your correct, one has just come up on ebay and looks identical. I've managed to locate a column but with no lock. I bet someone has the bible of where all the parts came from. 

It might also be possible the steering column of the Vauxhall cross-references to other General Motors models.

Also, you might fancy inquiring over at the Vauxhall owners forum (?) or checking to look for parted-out cars there (although you’d no doubt need a number of posts to do so). Might be more economical than the £200.00 eBay steering column (I did a search before reading these posts 👀).

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)