free hit
counters
Main beams do not work - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hmm..

My main beams do not work. The pods com up and dipped beam is fine, as the the flash of main beams, but when I switch them on for good, nothing. I tried a new light switch but it had no effect. Any ideas?

-Jani

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
5 hours ago, skiing said:

Check relays are all working?

And...that no one has tried to swap the dual-contact for the single contact relay fitments?

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Check the contacts on the stalk have not melted. The S2 didn't have a relay fitted for the headlights originally so unless you have had one fitted all the power goes through the stalk and the plastic can melt, especiaally if all 4 headlights have been wired for main beam. Ask me how I know...

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Agree with Peter and would further advise inspect the contacts associated with the momentary flash function. I've a spare switch of unknown provenance in which the contact strip had wilted out of function, clearly due to current overload.

Relays essential for all in my opinion.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments. went through the system with a friend that understands electricity. Stalk works and relays work. The mystery might have something to do with the conversion from RHD to LHD. When I bought the car it had the RHD headlights that needed to be changed for LHD pattern headlights. When I did this, I though the car would look better with having headlights that have dipped beam in all headlights. When doing this modification, I probably checked the success of if just by switching on the lights (dipped beam) and flashing the main beams. 

So, it might be possible, that the main beams have never worked after RHD/LHD switch and the MOT teat has also been done by using the flasher. So, the next step is to check the wiring for the headlights themselves.

• Like 1

Bingo! Cut off the wiring for the inner dipped beams and now everything works as it should. 

• Like 2

Spoke too soon! Now the main beam disappered again! For a while until they worked just fine again. Off side rear light and side repeaters don’t work now either (checked the bulbs)… I need a drink….

• Sad 1

Finally on top of things. Rear lights had grounding issue. Reverse lights just required a proper (full) selection of the reverse gear. Side indicator had a bodge in the front trunk. Now I just need to get the horn working…

Still no main beams?

You either need to flash or honk at slow traffic to get them out of the way...☹️

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CarBuff said:

Still no main beams?

You either need to flash or honk at slow traffic to get them out of the way...☹️

I got the main beams now. At least for now… And I got the horns working too! In any case, I have never needed them for getting other traffic to make way, since they seem to make way just get a better look of the car anyways! The public loves the Esprit and all reactions are respectful and positive.😊✌️

Edited by Finlandese