free hit
counters
Paypal Scam - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Paypal Scam

march

Has anyone come across this? I am getting random deposits from China of 8 Euro, 10 US cents starting to appear in my account. As of now I have done nothing about it but from what I can tell it is some sort of scam. PayPal are being completely useless about as I cannot raise a fraud / scam request with them as it is a payment to me not from me. Does anyone know what the correct actions should be - reject the payment or ignore (after 30 days it is sent back to the payee) or ultimately should I close down my PayPal account, which I am leaning towards at the moment which will be a bit of a pain. Any advice would be really useful. I know I should not accept the payment as it will probably lead to a world of pain and expense with PayPal nearly always siding with the Chinese fraudster.

• Confused 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd ignore it to be honest and let paypal send it back to them. Not sure how it works as a scam but I'd imagine they're hoping that you'll send the same amount back to them then do a chargeback on the initial amount perhaps?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Yup, ignore.  I can't conceive of any subsequent scenario that would compromise you.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

got a txt from "hermes" today sating i wasnt in blah blah (i was in all day) click here etc started to fill in the form then errr hang on re direction fee ?? ah no its one of them scams 😒

Unfortunately these type of email/text/phone call have become a part of everyday life for those (most) of us with an online presence. 

I don’t frequent any form of social media platform other than 3 or 4 car forums but reckon I probably get at least 5 or 6 scam type contacts a week. I do, probably like most of us, order a reasonable amount of goods online each month so can only imagine my contact details are out there as a result of those. 

I’ve just had an ongoing battle with eBay over unpaid sellers fees when I don’t think I’ve actually used them to sell anything for at least 5 years. My account was clearly hacked by somebody offering bogus goods for sale, a restaurant grade coffee machine and a large AO size printer. I apparently owed nearly £300 in sellers fees and spoke to eBay chat line 8 times now to try and get it sorted. Each time I was assured it was sorted and would then get an email confirmation of our chat but a couple of days later another email arrived threatening action for unpaid fees. 

I said ok I’ll close my account down, except you can’t do that when their system says you owe them money! It’s all very frustrating, but at least I can handle the aggravation and fight back. I feel sorry for the elderly who would probably get very upset by this kind of thing and maybe end up paying just to stop the worry. 

• Sad 1

Thanks for the comments, I am still getting payments sent through. For simplicity I have refused the payments and have changed my email address for PayPal so hopefully that will be enough.

• Like 1