free hit
counters
Lotus doesn’t like the rain ? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus doesn’t like the rain ?

40 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

Took it last week to Central Lotus they checked it and said it was soot in sensor and code had already disappeared the day before 

told me the car should be ok but alas a week later back to square one 

at the last service in October the traction light came on return home journey? 

these intermittent issues although minor in nature are very annoying 

They are not minor if it stops you using the car, or worrying about taking it out.  Lotus should be on this via their dealer.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

To be fair to central lotus the car was working fine when I was there then a few days later the Christmas tree lights on dash ! Lol 

if I had time maybe I should get the car serviced properly before the trip but I don’t have time due to work so fingers are crossed that these issues will go away once I am on the road next week 🙏🤞🏻

There's one constant there mate...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I am in a similar position to yours, as I am planning taking the car to the Black Forest, but I will have the car serviced beforehand. I do not want to be concerned every morning about whether the lights will be on or not... I just hope the dealer will spot the issue beforehand.

For some perspective, I had a similar situation a few years ago when going to the Bavarian alps with the car, my then wife and the two kids... on the first long trip with the car... All sorts of lights popped up 100 kms. after we started the trip. I went back to the dealer but they couldn't do anything but have the codes removed...  I decided to take my chances and drive to Bayern anyway, after 200 kms of detour and a few hours... (maybe that explains the divorce...) The car worked fine from there on but I agree it is anything but reassuring.

Whenever my car has played similar trickery, it was never too serious, but it is true that the last thing you want is to be permanently looking at the dashboard or by the side of the road instead of enjoying nice views from your planned hotel.

Obviously, please take my comments with a pinch of salt, as they just represent my vety limited experience and only you can decide what is best.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Little anxious now the night before my road trip 😮

washed car this afternoon then went to get fuel up in the evening , the engine light was on and traction light ☹️
my revs were limited so I decided to take a long route to petrol station during this run limited revs , pulled up at petrol station got back car fires up and normal revs 🤔 still got engine light went home got OBD reader out checked codes same as before cleared it 

hopefully the long run in the next few days might correct the sensor ! 🤞🏻
Still very anxious 

On 05/07/2021 at 14:43, Bibs said:

Book it in at a Lotus dealer, Lotus Silverstone can't be too far from you and have them fix it. 

Just saying. I wish you luck but it's not often mechanical issues fix themselves.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Cheers Bibs

maybe I should had insisted that lotus had fixed it but as typocal the car didn’t present any issues when I got to lotus garage 

hopefully upon my return I get car serviced early 

Don’t the error codes get logged by the car?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

If I may pass comment, I wonder if there are corroded connections associated with the components that trigger the codes.

as for the traction control that’s well documented being the brake switch. Carry a spare and get a SAAB on the GM ones are rubbish.

• Gold FFM

Lotus checked brake switch and said it was ok however light came on later ?

my son looked at the throttle sensor area last night and couldn’t spot anything

I just had washed the car so convinced there’s some moisture that finds it’s way into the sensor triggering the engine light ? 

• Gold FFM

On the reader it said P2135 and then about throttle body sensor 

lotus garage said it’s likely a clogged a little and indeed it’s good for a few days then after spell of rain or washing the car it reappears ? 

anyway I am about to set off in the next hour so fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Your symptoms are all pointing at a brake switch and my car had the same symptoms last month.  You will also find the Cruise Control will not work and if you have a sport button to open exhaust it will not work either.  

Craig Moncrieff our independent Lotus guru in Edinburgh immediately diagnosed it and carries stock of the bit as he replaces about 1 every couple of weeks.  It was fitted while I waited in about 1 hour total from arrival.

Does your trip take you anywhere near Edinburgh?

• Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

• Gold FFM

My lotus garage checked brake switch said it was ok ? 
anyway had engine light this morning after clearing code (took OBD reader) car drives fine but traction light came on later lol 

I am only in fort William area so not going past Edinburgh  

• Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

My lotus garage checked brake switch said it was ok ? 

If we had a £pound for every time someone said that.......   You've got some cracking weather up here just now so enjoy.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Very true ! Not worried. Just clear code before I set off and enjoying the drive and scenery 

And Yes blessed with fab weather and looks like for rest of my time can’t complain 😀

Ha ha, typical.  There isn't anything to check!  It just fails.  It isn't expensive part and will fail completely eventually so at your leisure I'd get it changed.  Fingers crossed for the weather. Did you go up via Glen Coe.  One of my favourite roads.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

as said in a previous post , I had this kind of issue under heavy rain leading to lump mode .solved with cleaning  the throttle contact .

i also had this default coming in dry weather usually just after starting, around 10 to 100m drive . The cause is throttle sticking with oil residue in the inlet pipe . A good throttle cleaning has solved the problem since nearly 2 years. 

In fact this started after a few years and some track days , I suppose that in heavy load without oil catch bottle some oil return to the inlet of the throttle and at the end cause sticking giving difference between pedal position and throttle ( the cause of the lump mode ).