free hit
counters
Lotus doesn’t like the rain ? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus doesn’t like the rain ?

• Gold FFM

My Evora has been fab these last 10 weeks  , went on a long journey (for me) a couple of week ago and had no issues. Even my traction light not come on during the dry weather 

this morning set off for school started up fine no lights but after 300 yards both check engine and traction light came on ? 
car seems to drive ok but I turned around and went home to swap cars 

any ideas what going on ? 
planning on my long Scotland trips in a few weeks time don’t want to be worried especially as I have my young daughter with me 🤔

• Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What does the code(s) say...?

If it's wheel speed sensor or wiring, that could very much be affected by wet weather.

Also the ABS controller connector lives out in the weather, if it's being particularly weird in terms of codes.

Dave

• Gold FFM

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

What does the code(s) say...?

If it's wheel speed sensor or wiring, that could very much be affected by wet weather.

Also the ABS controller connector lives out in the weather, if it's being particularly weird in terms of codes.

Dave

hi Dave

i have no reader my stupidity I need to get one ASAP but as I am not very bright when it comes to mechanics it be Greek to me

I will have to call AA man car had a major service last October including full brake replacement only driven 2-3k since and my car sit out in all weather 🙁

my traction light only seems to come on when it’s wet or damp as the last 10 weeks of dry weather it’s not appeared 

Yeah you need to be led by the code(s) in the first instance.  It's worth having a simple code reader, as it can help in these circumstances to start the diagnostic process.

You've had the brake light switch replaced already, from memory?

Dave

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

Cheers

hi Dave

i have no reader my stupidity I need to get one ASAP but as I am not very bright when it comes to mechanics it be Greek to me

I will have to call AA man car had a major service last October including full brake replacement only driven 2-3k since and my car sit out in all weather 🙁

my traction light only seems to come on when it’s wet or damp as the last 10 weeks of dry weather it’s not appeared 

Bluetooth OBDI reader is around £12 from ebay/Amazon.  Torque App on your phone is free, or around a £5 for the full version. Connect the two together and in english it tells you the codes and the issue. Points you in the right direction and if I can do it, believe me, you can :)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

14 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Bluetooth OBDI reader is around £12k

I'll sell you a spare one for £11k inc postage.

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, Bruss said:

£12K. Bargain.

As a rank rookie am I allowed to post that?

Sorry, had brake calipers on my mind. Fixed it now.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Update 

AA man couldn’t read codes on their machine so told me take it lotus 

called my friendly lotus garage who said might be sensor issue soot in exhaust or something ? 
anyway will make a trip out to my lotus place and hopefully sort that also get them to sort my boot lock which hasn’t worked for months 

• Gold FFM

Clive, where are you?  If you're reasonably close, I'll drive out to meet you halfway and we can plug in the OBD (I'll also bring mine) and we can see if there's anything useful to see...

• Gold FFM

Apparently, the connector to the rear lights is also badly designed and can cause ABS faults. So that's another potential culprit.

As said though, just needs the OBD codes as a start point

On 18/06/2021 at 22:03, Cdm2018 said:

AA man couldn’t read codes on their machine so told me take it lotus

Standard readers are a bit limited, they only really get to basic engine codes. I have a number and also special software/tools to access some jeep stuff and a good tool for mg/rover cars (i.e. it also covers ABS/SRS as well) I also have TPMS reader/programmer but it will not access the later Evoras as it is unique to Lotus. If there was a cheap version of lotus techcentre I would buy one and I expect loads of other would. Years ago I had an SRS fault on a 54 plate mg and the mobile auto electrician could not read the codes on his system so had to take it elsewhere. 

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, DaveC72 said:

Clive, where are you?  If you're reasonably close, I'll drive out to meet you halfway and we can plug in the OBD (I'll also bring mine) and we can see if there's anything useful to see...

Bless you Dave

i am in sunny Leicestershire so probably miles away 

my oldest son bought me a Father’s Day gift of a reader so might try it if I get it by Sunday otherwise get over to my lotus service garage to get checked 

• Gold FFM

Just taken car for a quick blast actually got the three rings 

my son just prior used the OBD reader threw up two codes but one was showing P2135 

mad I started the car the check engine light was not showing ? Drove the car then traction light came on when and stopped for fuel no check engine or traction light ? 
parked the car rushed in to watch the footy on tv

conclusion I haven’t a clue 😮😮😮 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

My lotus garage chap reset the brake switch took it out shook it about and put it back ! 
traction light came back on the drive home and it was still damp on the road 

lotus garage said at next service October they will spray something onto the throttle cable switch but he said for my road trip up to Scotland in a few weeks time the car should be fine 🤔

• Gold FFM

Did school run this morning engine light and traction light came on as I drove noticed didn’t have acceleration so I steadily went to school 

on the return journey engine light still on no traction light but my acceleration returned to normal 

just to say car sat on driveway and had two or three thunderstorms over weekend 

AA man said car accelerator seems ok cleared code but wonder if throttle body sensor or worst is a sign ?

littlte worried as due to drive to Scotland in 2 weeks time 😮🤔🙁

I can only empathise... Mine sleeps in a garage and has been on the trickle charger for a few days now. Took it out on saturday (in the sun) for one hour. All good. Get back to the car after a four hours long walk in the sun. Forced idle and codes again. Clear codes. All good (well, it stalled on neutral just when getting home). Park it in the garage, all good. Put the contact sunday morning, just to check, and it throws traction control and CEL lides at me... Misterious, really, but the closest I have had in the past was a similar behaviour (stalling) related to the brake pedal sensor.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to provide any useful input before you leave, as my car´s maintenance is due in a fortnight. I would carry an OBD reader and an app on your phone.

Is it maybe jealousy and attention seeking because the Emira is being released tomorrow?

I dread to think how many times you call the AA each year. I've had 8 Evora's for a total of about 5 years in all and never called recovery. 

Book it in at a Lotus dealer, Lotus Silverstone can't be too far from you and have them fix it. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I got AA man to clear codes next service is due October but little anxious about the long driving hours going to Scotland 

it would surely do the car some good to have to do 1000 miles in 5 days longest journey I would do but worried about problems spoiling the road trip and that I have my young daughter in the car as I don’t want to breakdown in middle of Scottish Highlands ! ☹️

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bibs said:

I dread to think how many times you call the AA each year. I've had 8 Evora's for a total of about 5 years in all and never called recovery. 

Book it in at a Lotus dealer, Lotus Silverstone can't be too far from you and have them fix it. 

Took it last week to Central Lotus they checked it and said it was soot in sensor and code had already disappeared the day before 

told me the car should be ok but alas a week later back to square one 

at the last service in October the traction light came on return home journey? 

these intermittent issues although minor in nature are very annoying