free hit
counters
The Sound of the Esprit - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The Sound of the Esprit

Go to solution Solved by Chillidoggy,

• Gold FFM

Interested to see people's opinions on this. Here is a video of two different Turbo Esprit, wet sump engines.

I know they can be tappetty / rattly on startup. Do they both sound healthy and normal ? Do they exhibit roughly the same sounds ?

It can be hard to tell as the microphone can accentuate certain frequencies but on the positive side, they were both recorded on the same device. Thoughts ?

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

As you know, Spyros, I've heard both of these recordings.  I've heard the first car myself, and the phone recording is accentuating what I would find quite acceptable.  Haven't heard the second car first hand but, even allowing for the phone recording quality, that sounds significantly nastier.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

You wont hear any tappet noise on a correctly set up 910....

That unfortunate diesel sound on the first clip is not untypical,  However I would say that the 2nd clip from 10 seconds onwards sounds very bad to me and needs further investigation.  

• Gold FFM

Interesting. The recordings aren’t perfect hence putting them together to compare back to back. I was interested to see what people thought when comparing. 

Actually @Sparky, the second engine is the one you have heard in person. 

I guess what is suggests that the recordings do not reflect how cars sound in reality or I need a new phone !

• Gold FFM

Wow. Is that for certain? In that case, disregard the recordings entirely because the car sounds nothing like that.

Interesting.  I've just gone back to the recordings you sent me and the first one sounds way worse.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

They are the same recording but I edited them together in Windows movie maker. It must have messed with the sound. 

What I was trying to do was to compare the second known (seen) engine to the first (unseen) engine to try and eliminate how the phone may accentuate certain frequencies. Hence wondering if the first one was actually similar. 

sounds (pun unintended) like the experiment failed. 

That is interesting.   I'm currently listening through headphones and the first one seems to have a more of a bassnote (straight through or blowing exhaust?).  With an underlying light tappety noise.  However, the second one seems to have a distinct metallic clack, which sounds abnormal.

• Gold FFM

The first one I thought had a knocking noise. Ignore the video anyway, the sounds may have been distorted as part of rendering when I put the clips together in Windows movie maker

• Gold FFM

To clear some of the confusion. Here are the original videos. There is still the issue of how my phone picks up the sounds and frequencies but at least they have only gone through YouTube processing and not Windows MM as well

Car 1 

Car 2 

• Gold FFM

I've long since realised that Youtube videos are not the best method of assessing engine condition. But if you're not happy with either what you hear, or what Sparky has told you, then just walk away.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Ian. 

I am happy with what Sparky has told me on Car 2 because he has actually heard that car. I am trying to compare the sound of the good car (Car 2) to the sound of Car 1, which Sparky has not heard in person.

Because of the vagaries of the sound recordings and weird frequencies being accentuated which makes the engine sound different to real life, it is difficult to assess just from the video recording.

The purpose of this posting is, assuming both videos have the same frequencies accentuated, comparing the sound from car 1 (unknown) compared to car 2 (known to be good).

Do people think car 1 sounds similar to car 2 or worse than car 2.  That type of rough comparison. Note the knocking sound of car 1

• Gold FFM
21 minutes ago, Bling said:

Thanks Ian. 

I am happy with what Sparky has told me on Car 2 because he has actually heard that car. I am trying to compare the sound of the good car (Car 2) to the sound of Car 1, which Sparky has not heard in person.

Because of the vagaries of the sound recordings and weird frequencies being accentuated which makes the engine sound different to real life, it is difficult to assess just from the video recording.

The purpose of this posting is, assuming both videos have the same frequencies accentuated, comparing the sound from car 1 (unknown) compared to car 2 (known to be good).

Do people think car 1 sounds similar to car 2 or worse than car 2.  That type of rough comparison. Note the knocking sound of car 1

You've obviously heard both engines in the flesh so to speak, so take the vids out of the equation, and then decide which one do you think sounded the best to you at the time?

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Good point but I can't remember the first one and my memory has been muddied by listening to the video too many times 🥴

I am going with Sparky's guidance anyway, but I was interested in people's opinions and thoughts on these videos and using videos to assess car issues.

• Gold FFM
  • Solution

In my view, unless they’re real good ‘uns, like an obvious bottom-end knocking, it’s not easy using videos to decide engine condition. I wouldn’t want to risk any advice based on them, anyway.

They say there’s no substitute for sitting in front of a doctor for a decent diagnosis. If you can actually get an appointment, of course………🙄

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Title: The Sound of the Esprit

Answer: is EPIC!

Topic can be ended now. You're welcome. :D 

• Haha 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

lol

As for the videos, I would say it's not normal if it's the same when you are listening to the engine with your own ears.

On cold starts, there is a little chirping noise, which I think is piston slapping. Which I think is normal on forged pistons engines* (bigger dilatation coefficient than cast pistons if I am not wrong, hence the smaller piston diameter when cold). But that doesn't sound like the noise on your two videos.

(/!\ I think the early engines were not equipped with forget pistons, so that would not apply to the older versions)