free hit
counters
410 tyres? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

410 tyres?

I've noticed the side profile of the front tyres is very big compared to the rears, 285/30x18 rear, 215/45x17 front.

Just wondering why Lotus chose such a large front tyre sidewall?

Has anyone tried 215/40x17's on the front? My guess is they would look better and handle better? Any opinions?

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all helps I'm sure, but personally I don't think as a % difference you'll notice any performance change. 

If it's your preference in terms of aesthetics then little harm in giving it a go, though it is worth noting Cup 2 Connect doesn't come in the size you mention. 

There is a reason I've stuck to 265/35/18 rubber on the back of mine despite moving to 10" wheels, as my visual preference is the opposite of yours (love a chunky sidewall), and thankfully don't find it short on performance.

Thanks for reply Arun, I just think from standing and looking at the side of the car the front tyres look very chunky compared to the rears, and dropping to a 40 profile from 45 would reduce it about 10mm which would still look slightly bigger sidewall than the rears but look much more matched.

i think the handling would be insignificant, but that said logically a shorter side wall will have less twist and bounce so steering should feel sharper and respond better. 

Would love to know if anyone has tried it, but as you say if Cup's don't even come in that size it's a bit of a non starter I guess.