free hit
counters
E10 Fuel in Esprit - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

E10 Fuel in Esprit

• Gold FFM

I've no experience with the Elise, but I guess where the Rovers and Land Rovers may have used metal fuel delivery pipes between tank and engine I guess perhaps Lotus used hose instead being low volume?

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, internets said:

image.thumb.jpeg.df9d3c51b521e36ac47915fd4794ff90.jpeg

I have seen this at Sainsbury's, but I was a bit surprised to see that Tesco had already changed their signs to E10.

I believe the declared E content on pump is an upper limit, determined by Gov't. statute, and in practice will be found to vary in accordance with seasonal conditions among other factors.

Cheers

53 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

I have seen this at Sainsbury's, but I was a bit surprised to see that Tesco had already changed their signs to E10.

Sainsbury’s started changing the labelling on pumps back in July I noticed in west london essex and Norfolk.

Apparently Esso claim there is no Ethanol in their super UL in most of the UK, and they also take nectar cards now for Sainsbury’s / nectar card users 🙂

image.thumb.png.d8ffc7f39b8b86943772d9ba8ac0d6e7.png

2 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

What would be more helpful if manufacturers would state what needs to be changed to make a specific vehicle compliant

indeed! I have read on the internet, meaning who knows what’s true, it effects the baffles in the tank, fuel lines ( metal and rubber ) also injectors. For instance Porsche tell me my 944 isn’t compatible neither if the parts they now sell / re manufacture  are compatible, I very much doubt it , but as I have recently replaced some of the fuel supply system in my 944 be useful to know. 

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Interestingly I saw a guy recently (on YouTube I believe) actually separating and removing ethanol from his fuel by adding dyed water????

If this was for real it seemed to work but in the quantities our car use I can only assume he was doing it for his lawnmower or similar.

It was quite cool watching it all separate out though

10 minutes ago, madmax said:

Interestingly I saw a guy recently (on YouTube I believe) actually separating and removing ethanol from his fuel by adding dyed water????

I also found this...Lucas Safe Guard Ethanol Petrol Additive Conditioner Stabiliser E10 Fuel    ---looks simpler than trying to add water then remove it again....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403021615222

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I normally use Esso Synergy Plus (their ethanol free super unleaded) but was thinking of carrying something like the above in case I need to fill up and can't find any.
Is anynone else using additives with E10 petrol ?

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• Gold FFM

I just read this, scroll down to the bottom of the article: https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/maintenance-and-gear/everything-you-need-to-know-about-using-e10-fuel-with-your-classic-car/

If your car doesn't have Cats, then this Castrol additive seems best otherwise the Lucas option above is good.

1 hour ago, Bling said:

was thinking of carrying something like the above in case I need to fill up and can't find any.

Have read that the odd fill with E10 would not cause too much of an issue as long as the next fill is with proper stuff, don't know how true that is. Bit like the old days I remember my mum filling up with 2 or 3  star (not 2 stroke!) was ok as as soon as she had some room went and put some 5 star in. This was the time when there was a choice of leaded petrol.

• Gold FFM

I guess the risk is also not leaving the E10 petrol lingering in the car's fuel system

• Like 1

Also things like lawn mowers, not leaving petrol in at the end of the grass cutting season, but where we are I can start on grass again early in the new year. Also chainsaws etc.... Or may be putting some 'special stuff' in at the end of the year when cars/mowers etc are a bit dormant?

• 2 weeks later...

Have ordered a couple of bottles of Lucas Safe Guard Ethanol Petrol Additive off ebay, read many reviews of it - mainly US ones though. Will try it if I have to use E10 if there is no E5 available when needed.  I see a lot have been sold in the past few days.

Also may try it in one of the bikes as it seems to clear things out a bit - well according to a review I found.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious on what additive(s) have been in use for octane support in UK petrol through recent years. I recall the banning of MBTE, widely in use in North America until replaced by ethanol. This would have been 15-20 years back, IIRC.

Cheers