free hit
counters
Windows rattling when open - very annoying! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Windows rattling when open - very annoying!

My Launch Edition is well endowed with the usual 'early Evora' quirks and I’ve been working my way round them, I’ll be doing a thread at some stage to hopefully help others too by sharing what I’ve done.

I have done loads to it over the last 3 weeks but one of the things I haven’t got round to yet is attempting to fix the rattling windows.   They are fine when closed or fully open, but they rattle a fair bit when they are anywhere in between.   Very irritating as I do like to have them open sometimes to enjoy the delights of the Stage 1 Sports exhaust........

I'm planning to take the door cards off soon anyway, to tighten things up, add some cloth tape etc, so is there something I need to do with the windows at the same time to fix the rattling?

I did do a search but couldn’t find anything, so I’m hoping that someone knows how to fix this....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My driver's side window does this too. I've taken the glass out a number of times, and even replaced the regulator (for an unrelated issue), but it still rattles when open. I'm thinking it might be the vertical rails that guide the edges of the glass up and down, but last time I tried to order these, Deroure said they were a factory ordered part that had no expected delivery date. 

I've verified the adjuster blocks are tight, so I'm also at a loss at what it could be. 

• 2 weeks later...

As the window felts are the same all the way down the guides, it is unlikely that the window is rattling sideways in the guides.

Also, as the window has been wound down, it's up and down movement should be restrained by the regulator.

The third way that the window could move is rocking forward and backward in the guides.

Have you been able to ascertain which direction the window is moving when it is open and rattling?

To fix the first one above is new window felt guides etc.

If it is up and down, it could be the regulator, or it could be the attachment of the window glass to the regulator.

My best guess is that it will be the adjustment of the guides in the door so that the window is held snugly from rocking forward and backward. This involves removing the door card to gain access to the window regulator. Have the window in the open position. Try and rock the window forward and backward. If you can do this, you will need to loosen the lower window guide anchors and move either the front or back one closer to the window glass edge. Only do one at a time. While you are in there, check the way that the window attaches to the regulator for any sloppiness. After each adjustment of a guide, you need to test to see if you are restricting any potential movement. You should not need to move the lower end of either/both guides very much. Try and mark the current position of the lower anchors, so you have a start point to return to if things go pear-shaped. The lower end of the guides may spring when the anchor is loosened.

After every adjustment, you will need to try the operation of the window via the normal method. It is very easy to tighten too much and jam the glass from going up or down.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies on this - I'm on the verge of having a go at it.  

I've also been told about sealing the regulators / motors to reduce the likelihood of failure from water ingress (it will occasionally be parked outside etc...).    Any tips on how to do that from anyone?

2 hours ago, Daveb99 said:

I've also been told about sealing the regulators / motors to reduce the likelihood of failure from water ingress (it will occasionally be parked outside etc...).    Any tips on how to do that from anyone?

I had posted that on LT (and possibly here too) after my first regulator started having issues after a severe downpour. A few dry days later, everything was back to working. Having removed the regulator to see if I could cross-reference it with another one (no such luck, btw), I noticed how poorly sealed they become over time. 

I would recommend coating any joints, screws, and gaps with a silicone sealant and let it dry before reinstalling. 

3 hours ago, agentdr8 said:

I had posted that on LT (and possibly here too) after my first regulator started having issues after a severe downpour. A few dry days later, everything was back to working. Having removed the regulator to see if I could cross-reference it with another one (no such luck, btw), I noticed how poorly sealed they become over time. 

I would recommend coating any joints, screws, and gaps with a silicone sealant and let it dry before reinstalling. 

Thanks, that was my thinking too, it looks quite tricky to remove (currently have the door card off).   I’ve successfully adjusted the window to hopefully remove 90% of the rattling (the ‘angle’ adjusters were badly adjusted) and also lined all the contact points on the door card with cloth tape to eliminate the slight creaking when going over bumps (leather edges creaking against the painted door).

Not sure I fancy stripping the whole thing down to “waterproof” the regulator, though I do want to change my speakers at some stage so perhaps I’ll tackle it then….