free hit
counters
Mechanical Overhaul - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Mechanical Overhaul

nello

OK vague question here but I need to start considering how much it will cost me to get my Esprit going again after being off the road for many years.

The car is a G HC Turbo '87 - one of the last G cars. Its done 54k from new and I have had it nearly 30 years now.

Pull the covers off and it still look superb however its not been started now for some 9 years so requires a complete mechanical overhaul.

Yes I know its not the right thing to have done to have had it sitting there for so long but there are other factors that caused which I don't want to discuss here.

So anyone who was in the same boat - How much did to cost to return to the road.......................... I'd love to be behind the wheel of it again. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the engine turns loose, start with fresh oil and filter, and don't wait to have a new timing belt (and all the other belts, plus that 'roll' renewed).
Later, change all the other fluids

(t start with)

I think it will start - the Clutch pedal is solid but pretty sure that's the Master cylinder. Would you not want the belts changing before any attempt? 

• Like 1

When I recommissioned mine (late 2012) it was going to be about 3k until it was discovered a couple of rings had gone.

Change the belts before attempting to start.

14 minutes ago, polowonder said:

f the engine turns loose, start with fresh oil and filter, and don't wait to have a new timing belt

This is very incorrect advice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

When I recommissioned mine (late 2012) it was going to be about 3k until it was discovered a couple of rings had gone.

Yeh I read it different to that Chris. 
Don’t put off changing the belts is how it sounded to me. 

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

I am in the same boat as you and I am trying to get a recommissioning thread going in the Resto blog section.  I have a 1984 US spec Turbo I am about to recommission that I haven't started for about 5 years.  I am almost ready to pull the engine (everything is disconnected) and gearbox together.  I am doing all belts, hoses (coolant and fuel), gaskets where needed, filters, a thorough clean/degrease, checking the clutch, new exhaust shields etc.  I just placed a big order with SJ to the tune of about 1,500 GBP in parts (plus a chunk for postage to the USA).  I am doing all the work myself.  Engine has about 70k I think.  There are no signs under the car of oil leaks so I don't want to disturb main oil seals etc.  The plan is to recommission, drive and enjoy for a couple of years and see where we are then.

• Like 1

Since you are pulling the transmission, don't forget to install the heavy duty input shaft circlip. Call JAE and ask.

I would also recommend replacing the crownwheel bearings (output shaft). The original 'Polish Bearings' are decidedly weak.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

3 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Chris do you reckon £10k would cover it - worst case? Don't want to ask too personal a question re:bills but after a ball park for the work to be done.

As it’s an inclined engine any moisture that has accrued will be on one side of the liner. Expect some oil blow by the control rings. However it could bed down again over time. 

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

If you're paying somebody else to do it £10k sounds about right assuming that there are no real issues like an engine rebuild required.

• Like 1

If it was stored in favourable conditions I cant see any reason why the engine or box would have significantly deteriorated.   Assuming these are OK, I would budget for a C service and also budget for replacement of brake and clutch hydraulics.   I would have thought that would be enough to get you up and running.       

£10k sounds an extremely generous budget to me and I would expect you would have a great car if you are prepared to invest that much.     

NB As a quick assessment of 'favourable conditions' what to the discs look like?    An even layer of surface rust or a mass of crumbling oxide!?    Does the car still roll freely?  

Can pretty much guarantee your calipers will have seized after that time.  If you are replacing the master cylinder i reckon you may as well hoik off the calipers for refurb, not too expensive. You’ll be annoyed if you get it running but find your brakes seized en route to MOT.

My Esprit was garaged, and didn't have any rust or anything sticking, but I think Neil's has been stored covered outside, so there might be other things to consider.

I think I budgeted for £5k and it ended up being £8k+ - in 2012, so I'd have thought that for a straight forward recommission £3k would cover it, but If a rebuild was required on top of this the cost would be closer to £10k.

Apologies for the misunderstanding @polowonder, I'd understood your posting in the the same was as Neil had.

• Like 2

Hello Nello (has a nice ring to it):

I always enjoy a nice, bullet-point checklist when organizing any “To Do” list.

So, for anyone else who comes upon this thread, here is what I gathered you may want to do in your Sleeping Nine Years, Time to Awaken list…with a few ideas added by me which I am doing for both my Federal HCI and a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix.

•R&R accessories belts

•R&R timing belt and tensioner

•R&R oil and filter per polowonder

•R&R spark plugs

•R&R clutch master cylinder 

•Possibly R&R brake master cylinder depending on condition 

•R&R other fluids per polowonder:

—brake fluid

—coolant

—transmission fluid (a simple drain and fill with three [three] quarts per Harry Martens)

•R&R wiper blade rubber (my suggestion as the rubber may be over 9 years old)

•R&R input shaft circlip with up-rated circlip per carbuff, as well as crownwheel bearings (usu. with SKF bearings), also per carbuff 

•Remove and refurbish brake calipers; R&R brake pads if needed (or desired) per Neil Potter/910 Esprit 

•Possible replacement or “turning” of brake discs, as needed, per 910Esprit and Neil Potter 

•R&R spark plugs (cheap, why not, item)

•R&R air filter if desired (cheap, so why not, item) per Barry Kearley 

•R&R fuel filter (per Barry Kearley)

•Flush old petrol from the tanks (!) per Barrykearley. 

NOTE: MrDangerUS on Lotus Talk (and here on TLF) gives an outstanding set of petrol tank flush directions on page 2, post 29 of the thread “87 HCI Losing Power at 4k RPM” by KessOrden.

•Check pressure of spare tire

•R&R 9+ year old tires 

So far that seems to be The Basic List.

Cheers,

Scott

• Like 1

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)