free hit
counters
Emira deposits and build slots - Page 8 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Emira deposits and build slots

simonb

Well our Scottish dealer told me the 2 show cars or similar ones will tour dealers in Sept/Oct but will be like GFoS static sitting in only no test drives.  That is exactly the same as when the Evora launched in Aug 08 at Brit Motor show.  Same car toured dealers in about Nov that year with some of the management team.  This was when first deliveries were touted at being March 09

They also said they were not expecting demo cars until March/April with first customer cars close behind, and that was exactly the same in Sept 09 when we finally got the first cars. I think I test-drove a demo about 1 month before my LE car arrived.

Of course much has changed since then, so who knows.........

• Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

that was the Alfa 4c buying experience

look at a couple of very nice concepts on the Alfa stand at Goodwood (with a free lunch for deposit holders)

Look around the car there (dont recall a sit in)

first drive was after paying in full and taking delivery

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if they start having test drives on what are basically pre-production cars; the GFoS guys said production between now and Feb/March would be crash test and environmental testing; journos won't get to drive until ~March 22, with first customer deliveries taking place in April. Maybe it would be a bad idea sending punters out for a "test drive" in something that's unfinished, ie in Sept. Maybe you'll get a passenger seat ride with the disclaimer that this is car #1 etc...

• Like 1

I didn't test drive the Exige 350 sport until I had already paid over the phone and went to collect it and the same with GR, however GR was half the price and I knew I'd love the Exige having owned several others including S2 Exiges however I'm not sure I want to lump £75k+ on a car I have not at least driven. (I still might lol but would rather have not been put in that position) so I hope I'm not put in that position. I'm worried that might be the case then from what your all saying. As for Evora I do hope Lotus have learnt from their mistakes and this isn't the same experience!! you would think this would all have been planned and Demo's arranged for this huge launch appeal and wanting loads more orders or at least keep the orders materialising. What do I know!. I'm not being negative I just want to whole experience to be fun and be assured its the car for me. Its a big purchase in my eyes.

Buying the GR Toyota had a demo but I couldn't go due to Lockdown! so I made the choice but I had full money back guarantee from start to finish, I only paid £500 deposit ordered the car 2 days before It arrived (4 month wait) I then paid the rest. I even had 14 days to hand it back. so taking delivery without a drive wasn't too much bother in my mind.

I appreciate this is a different Company but I wonder where we stand on that front? can they actually say at any point prior to delivery that our money isn't refundable? Genuine question.

Like JCR I just hope they take their time and when finally ready they let us drive them and no sooner due to perceived pressure.  At least doing it this way they are able to judge if they have it right or not. Evidently yes by the number of deposits.  If they actually watch some of these forum posts they will also be seeing feedback and concerns/wishes.  

I was told that my deposit only becomes non-refundable when I spec the order.  As I have said to dealer I am willing to slip back in the list if required to ensure I get to drive and read road tests this time (I didn't with the Evora launch) before I spec.  For me there will be limited risk once I do bite bullet.  I guess that is a quandary some FE buyers may not have depending on exact timing and position on list.

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

9/10 I imagine a drive is a given prior to purchase, most will expect/want this. Some will accept it's not possible If they want to be a customer of the first batch (I believe that includes me so I'm told!) AI I totally see why you could well be pushed to give up your place, I think lots may well want to do this too. I do however think that If I go for the I4 AMG I might get a chance to drive a demo of sorts prior to locking this one in and still be first batch of AMG's. My dealer told me either way V6 or AMG I'll be first batch due to laying deposit so early Like yourself It seems. I don't have a large selection of sportscars to feast on while I wait until 2023! so I'd like to be able to make my choice and be happy with it to enjoy 2022 😏

I've only purchased 3 brand new cars in my time so far and all had demo or same model available to drive. I appreciate this wasn't Lotus. Has anyone else purchased a sports car or any car without a drive of some sort first? (minus LE Evora guys/gals!) haha. 

Anyway I can't wait for the viewing even if no drive and all the extra info that will come 😬

• Like 1

I’d tend to agree with the thoughts there will be no driving the cars in September given it seems they won’t be production ready but the reason for being invited to an event to sign your order will be to avoid the purchase being a distance sale.

If order placed away from showroom and deposit was also done by email/web/phone then you would be entering a distance sale and the right to reject the car for up to 14 days after taking delivery.  Signing contracts at showrooms will allow the deposits to become non-refundable subject to the way the t&cs are written.

Oooooh I like the conspiracy theory, & I can see why you would think that way.  Are you a lawyer per chance? Or is that just general sales knowledge of your rights that I have never paid any attention to, to be honest.

Having said that I'm not sure you will be invited to an event to sign your order.  That will just be a normal sit across desk from sales thing.  

To be fair to Lotus last time those of us brave souls who did place an Evora deposit early were invited to Hethel for a tour of the whole place inc. design studio with clay full sized model and a factory guided tour (same as you get on a half day Scare Yourself Sensible tour) when the production was put back.  That allowed us (SWMBO was having a say in colour choice) to see many different colours. I also remember the very early cars had no sun visor mirror which my wife told the design team over lunch was ridiculous for a car of it's type. Soon after we took delivery of our car (without visor) one arrived in Edinburgh for fitting, so somebody had paid attention! 👏

• Like 2

I'd like to think differently, but I can't see that there will be demo vehicles available. Certainly, not in all three iterations of the car at every dealer that has taken a deposit from someone. Outside the UK? Even more unlikely, even impossible. (by the time of having to firm up on order)

I suggested on the FoS topic that the only car that would be there, would be the V6 to run up the hill. Fortunately, even though that was the case, the looks of the car outweighed that. And the live report with Jenson was also really good.

I think that it will be a matter of test drives in an Evora and then having to rely on the dealer saying that the Emira handling beats the Evora. I am pretty sure that will be a given, but for people coming to Lotus from other marques, it may cast possible doubt?

As far as the I4 goes, I think that will be left to the purchaser as to which way they want to go. V6/auto/manual or I4/DCT.

I just can't see how anything else would be able to occur? Maybe, the factory could get all three iterations ready and then have a test drive period (days) at the factory? Big ask of people that live a long way from Hethel. That still doesn't assist overseas deposit holders either.

Gosh I hope I am wrong, because nothing beats sitting in and driving the real thing.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I placed an order before for Emira should be first deliveries in the city for me, anyway the extra info I managed to get is these:

1. The V6 will be around £75-85K with first deliveries as stated April (my guess its FE price not base model, with 85K is fully loaded FE)

2. On top of that theres several specs you can choose from:

1. Sport of Touring package.

2. Manual or Auto.

3. Wheel choices.

4. KEF speakers options (not sure if standard in FE)

5. 12 way or 4 way seats (if im not mistaken forgot the actual number)

6. Single brake pad or dual brake pads type of brakes.

7. Engine choice (I4 or V6).

Power figures; 416hp to be exact for V6 model (I4 not sure), a GT4 racing car will be built next year as a V6 also.

the grey car is not the actual production car setup (so it wont sound the same in production, its done just for goodwood show), theres a chance exhaust valves will be fully closed at low RPMs and opens as you go higher in RPM (so production is quieter at low revs specially)

• Like 2

On 13/07/2021 at 19:20, glen8 said:

Hello Everyone!

Hope you are all well.  I'm another new customer to the brand.  Having watched the launch event last week, I immediately placed my order/deposit.  This also means me having to phone up Porsche to cancel my GTS 4.0 order.

Considering the Emira is well equipped from the off, it's £10k cheaper over the Porsche when doing a like for like, plus I think it's better looking and nice to be able to support a British company.

I'm still debating engine choice, but going with yellow paint, yellow calipers, forged alloys, alcantara interior.....and KEF audio (sorry hardcore lotus fans).  Hopefully the OTR price is around £65k.

Welcome to TLF Glen. :welcome: 

Be interesting to see what you finally do.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

ps. Sorry I missed your first post before. :getmecoat: 

• Thanks 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

10 hours ago, Al said:

Oooooh I like the conspiracy theory, & I can see why you would think that way.  Are you a lawyer per chance? Or is that just general sales knowledge of your rights that I have never paid any attention to, to be honest.

The 14 days distance sale thing is an EU directive. Not sure if the UK still has it, but it's pretty common knowledge.

I recall reading earlier in this thread I believe, of how some people may sell their deposit 'slot'.

If they do this for a profit, isn't that essentially the same as scalping tickets?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, freefall_junkie said:

I am based in West Linton so looking forward to the roadshow when it gets to Park's. It doesn't sound like we'll get to drive one though which is a bit disappointing, but I am excited just to see the car close up.

Incidentally I hope the early build quality is heap better than the Evora. I drove the first Evora demo at Murray's in Edinburgh back in 09 when it was still running in and the door trim was already falling off 🙂 

Well done.. 

Look forward to seeing it in the village!

(Rob Walker Heritage Edition Elise owner and son has Evora - both at Dolphinton.  There are 2 other Lotus owners down here also)

• Like 1

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in soon, but yes. The current info I've seen on here is that the pricing will be announced in September, at which point people will likely have to place an actual order with a non-refundable deposit.

Edited by Mickle
  • Like 2

Here in the US I placed my non-refundable dealer deposit without any pricing. Not happy to hear that the V6 manual will be at least $15,000 more than the 4 pot with DCT just to get 40 hp. However, the sound of the V6 is special and Toyota reliability's is legendary. If this car much over $100,000, then we will see how many deposits are withdrawn if possible or forfeited. 

3 hours ago, ramjet said:

I recall reading earlier in this thread I believe, of how some people may sell their deposit 'slot'.

If they do this for a profit, isn't that essentially the same as scalping tickets?

I was just thinking about this before I read your post. I haven’t encountered that myself on here, but God help us if Lotus falls into that trap of customers flipping orders. The first time I can recall this happening was the Ferrari F40. It then moved on to the rest of the range. Enzo would have been turning in his (still warm) grave, if he had known that his company was underselling his products and lining the pockets of others in such a way. Take an (oblique) look at this advert from 1989. Nearly every vehicle priced well over RRP. All of the buyers would have taken a very cold shower two years later… I think the same thing might have happened with the E-Type Jaguar, but that was before my time.

IPMY6V3.jpg

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, Al said:

As I have said to dealer I am willing to slip back in the list if required to ensure I get to drive and read road tests this time

To be fair, this is a sensible approach anyway - for those really not 100% sure on the experience that the car will deliver.

There is more risk with brand new models but I still believe they have done so much testing, with more resources and money, that this will roll off the line at least as good as other marques do.

Fair point about the model a long way from production in September BUT they did have a car going up Goodwood!

Okay, it might not have been 'finished' but you'd think they could certainly get a few cars through early for driving.

I've bought very few new cars myself so cannot recall previous experiences.

16 hours ago, Al_C said:

Signing contracts at showrooms will allow the deposits to become non-refundable subject to the way the t&cs are written.

Um,, is that right? That is interesting.

I have not really thought about it until now. You lot are scaring me 😄

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

wb2.jpg

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Frickin_idiot said:

I placed my deposit earlier today and received email confirmation. Is it now a waiting game for months or will Lotus / Dealer be in contact?

Great, nice one. What was the delay :)  I mean, what was the final factor in going for it?

55 minutes ago, Maury Lyon said:

just to get 40 hp.

56hp difference!  :)

wb2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Great, nice one. What was the delay :)  I mean, what was the final factor in going for it?

I wanted one after the release but was hesitant to put down a deposit until I had paid some additional thought to the purchase.  Nothing in particular got me across the line - it is just a particular trait of mine to be a little more cautious when making a commitment to spending time or money.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Very sensible!  I was not handed sensibility in my genetics unfortunately.

I am the man who 3 months after his motorcycle test bought a beautiful Ducati Panigale which I then killed and almost myself.

• Like 1

wb2.jpg