free hit
counters
AMG Emira - Page 2 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


AMG Emira


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Nah, don’t worry. The Evora club will always be very small and exclusive.
 

Even ex-owners are welcome. Sometimes. 😜

Good job I’m in the Emira forum and not the Evora one then 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 15/07/2021 at 07:10, Kal-El said:

The Litchfield tune is for the older M133 engine. The Emira will have the new and totally awesome M139 engine. It’s a tuners dream. Twin scroll ball bearing turbo (large) with lightweight forged steel crank, forged aluminium pistons etc. The A45s version is making 421ps so it’s surprising Lotus have detuned it even more than the 382bhp base (non s version). I suspect this is to appease the v6 buyers and once they’ve run the old v6 out we’ll see more powerful AMG versions. The good news is that stage 1 remaps on the base engine are seeing 470bhp on 98Ron fuel.

A performance catted down pipe is seeing even more.

I’d love to know what the difference is between the s and non s version of the M139 engine other than boost/map.

maybe someone can elaborate?

 

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

What sort of car are you currently driving? You like superman by any chance?

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, duncx said:

This tuning potential (and more) is already in place for the V6, tried and tested in the Evora and Exige, ultra reliable (including the manual gearbox) and not too much money.

This is a path already very well trodden in the Lotus community, if tuning for power is your thing then you can still choose the V6  :)

*****

Do you remember that..?........with all those car emission controls California was leading.......😒

Will be tuning of the Emira by private persons in the next years less plausible......?

Some folks on social media have started to post about a new California smog testing procedure that is supposed to check for modified or non-CARB compliant software in vehicle ECUs, which I did some digging into. Using the link posted at the bottom of the screenshots I’ve seen, I followed it back to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair’s smog FAQ page, where the confirmation was clear as day: California is indeed going to start sniffing for tunes during smog checks.

 

https://www.carbibles.com/california-will-start-checking-for-ecu-tuning-in-smog-checks-this-month/

Edited by rudolphwolven
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JAWS said:

Absolutely, nobody has even driven it and all I keep reading on social media is talk about turning up the wick 🙄

The number of people who can't even keep up with a 101bhp Smart Roadster (including @Bravo73 and @bosshog 😜) says to me, power isn't the issue. 

To be fair, I think you can blame it on Lotus teasing us with HP numbers. Especially when we know both engines produce well over their advertised range. Smart move from a marketing standpoint. Imagine how easily we would sleep if we had info and could actually make up our minds. 😁

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, rudolphwolven said:

Do you remember that..?........with all those car emission controls California was leading.......😒

Will be tuning of the Emira by private persons in the next years less plausible......?

The UK government has traditionally been very 'friendly' towards all manner of car mods (probably because the industry is a revenue generator) so I think we would be amongst the last to suffer such curbs. To be honest I'm not personally bothered; I use enjoy tuning my own engines (gas flowing, new cams, balancing etc) but those days are long behind me, I won't be messing with my own Emira if/when I get it  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Porter said:

The build process for the M139 is pretty epic to watch. I think it might be the engine to consider.

 

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

I presume you are looking to get an Emira by the sounds of it?

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

  • Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium in Australia is 98 RON. Made a noticeable difference to my Esprit.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/07/2021 at 15:30, rudolphwolven said:

*****

Do you remember that..?........with all those car emission controls California was leading.......😒

Will be tuning of the Emira by private persons in the next years less plausible......?

Some folks on social media have started to post about a new California smog testing procedure that is supposed to check for modified or non-CARB compliant software in vehicle ECUs, which I did some digging into. Using the link posted at the bottom of the screenshots I’ve seen, I followed it back to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair’s smog FAQ page, where the confirmation was clear as day: California is indeed going to start sniffing for tunes during smog checks.

 

https://www.carbibles.com/california-will-start-checking-for-ecu-tuning-in-smog-checks-this-month/

Even if the California ecu tune detection is in place, you can still at least enjoy your ECU tune for 8 years from time of purchase until you have to smog the car every two years in California. I'm sure by the time you need to smog it there will be some method of defeating ECU checksum checks. Or you can stick to ECU tunes that are CARB certified tuners who are willing to go through the carb certification process.

On 14/07/2021 at 14:10, Kal-El said:

The Litchfield tune is for the older M133 engine. The Emira will have the new and totally awesome M139 engine. It’s a tuners dream. Twin scroll ball bearing turbo (large) with lightweight forged steel crank, forged aluminium pistons etc. The A45s version is making 421ps so it’s surprising Lotus have detuned it even more than the 382bhp base (non s version). I suspect this is to appease the v6 buyers and once they’ve run the old v6 out we’ll see more powerful AMG versions. The good news is that stage 1 remaps on the base engine are seeing 470bhp on 98Ron fuel.

A performance catted down pipe is seeing even more.

I’d love to know what the difference is between the s and non s version of the M139 engine other than boost/map.

maybe someone can elaborate?

 

I too have been trying to see if there are any physical differences between the M139 in the A45 and A45S and there aren't a whole lot of resources out there. Was trying to get P/Ns for parts in the head and couldn't find much. If there would be any major differences, it would likely be in the head or exhaust manifold. It's most likely just a difference in mappings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, dvq said:

I too have been trying to see if there are any physical differences between the M139 in the A45 and A45S and there aren't a whole lot of resources out there. Was trying to get P/Ns for parts in the head and couldn't find much. If there would be any major differences, it would likely be in the head or exhaust manifold. It's most likely just a difference in mappings.

My guess is turbo, intercooler, and mapping. Possibly exhaust differences too, but the turbo itself is the most likely. There may also be fueling differences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has Lotus a history of bringing their own tuning options to existing customer cars?

I know it's not quite the same, but Tesla offer performance upgrades for an additional fee.  Maybe Lotus could offer a performance pack for a few grand?

Edited by glen8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2021 at 18:26, glen8 said:

Has Lotus a history of bringing their own tuning options to existing customer cars?

I know it's not quite the same, but Tesla offer performance upgrades for an additional fee.  Maybe Lotus could offer a performance pack for a few grand?

They did, but a long time ago.  The last one I can remember is the VHPD 190 upgrade for the S1 Exige, which could be done by dealers using a Lotus-warranted upgrade kit.  B&C did their own "Super 160" upgrade for the S1 Elise, which I think they warranted.

Lotus could have offered a supercharger upgrade for the NA Evora but didn't and aftermarket firms like Komotec stepped in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the VHDP was sold as 178(?) BHP as it was regulation compliant at that level, but you could upgrade to 190 once registered

One I drove when they were new was like a bag of spanners that would stall in an instant at below 1500 revs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may be right.  I'm fairly new to S1 Exige ownership and know mine was done as a later upgrade to 190, whereas some were 190 from new - sold as "track spec".  They do need a bit of careful set up to run cleanly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TomE said:

They did, but a long time ago.  The last one I can remember is the VHPD 190 upgrade for the S1 Exige, which could be done by dealers using a Lotus-warranted upgrade kit.  B&C did their own "Super 160" upgrade for the S1 Elise, which I think they warranted.

Lotus could have offered a supercharger upgrade for the NA Evora but didn't and aftermarket firms like Komotec stepped in.

There was an official supercharger kit for the Elise s2 R to bring the engine up to SC level. Had mine installed by Christopher Neil/Oakmere. Transformed the car into something quite different.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was also an official ECU update for the Elise S2 R and Exige S2 to lower the RPM of the cam switch. Had mine done by Hangar 111. It would be nice to think Lotus might offer remap upgrades for Emira owners in the future, especially for the I4, but somehow I doubt his will happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the voice control you won't even need to do that .... "hey Emira, play my driving playlist" :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

I could also do with a voice-controlled ejector seat for when the missus moans at me for driving over the speed limit.  I now no longer drive with her in the car. I let her drive so I can have a moan at her positioning :)

  • Haha 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...