free hit
counters
cam belt rattle. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

cam belt rattle.

Hi all. My Elite 504 on over run my cam belt chatters against the belt guard on the long side, exhaust cam to crank pulley.

The belt is not old but the tensioner is so if the tensioner is week will that cause it ?

Is the early belt tensioner better than the later one?

Thanks for any advice  Clive

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you running the "semi-automatic" tensioner?  A lot of people replace this with the "manual" version.  Whichever you have fitted you need to be able to measure the belt tension.

Pete

Yes thanks I think I might go for the early manual tensioner or get an overhaul kit for the automatic tensioner .I'm a recently retired mechanic so I'm fairly sure The tension is OK.

Thanks Clive.

Hello Clive. Mine has the same semi automatic tensioner as yours. I've rebuilt the tensioner recently and it still has a slight flutter on over-run. It's just how the springs on the tensioner work. Just make sure the snubber next to the exhaust pulley is correctly adjusted. That stops the belt jumping. 

• Like 1