free hit
counters
Which drivetrain have you selected? - Page 5 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Which drivetrain have you selected?

Bibs

Which drivetrain have you selected?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People should just buy whatever car they think they'll enjoy more. Why by a certain model because it might depreciate less when you'd actually want the other one?

As for manual vs DTC, it's personal I guess. I drive a manual to work and don't mind it. Granted it's only a 30 minute drive and I only have to do it once or twice a week but it's fine.

If I knew I was spending several hours a day stuck in traffic I wouldn't really enjoy a manual though. But if I knew I was going to be stuck in traffic a lot, a two seater sportscar wouldn't be my choice anyway regardless of the gearbox. 

On a track I can see a DTC making sense at it gives you more time to concentrate on braking and cornering. Though I don't go to tracks so for me personally that doesn't matter.

On a nice B road? Probably a manual, especially if it has auto blip on downshifts. 

I've never driven a DTC but I find automatics to be a bit boring as you don't really have to do anything to make them go.

On a sportscar I personally prefer a manual. Not because it's better but because it makes me feel more involved and adds to the experience.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Yeah, all automatics are boring.

A DCT is something else though and should not be thought of as an automatic really in the case of DCT sports car with flappy paddles/sequential.

Most of the very best have these for a reason and they are a mighty hoot. I still content they are MUCH more fun than a manual but concede on the engagement angle.  

Comes down to fast driving really. I enjoy the manual on my Abarth but when I had it on the RS3/Golf R it was fantastic on fast blasts and really made a huge difference to the fun I was having.

I am soooo glad there is not a DCT Emira V6 option as that would an  impossible choice for me if I was only after a V6.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

The fun in driving for me is all in operating the machine. The clinical consistency and simplicity of operation of a DCT just always made me feel a bit meh.

It's great to have the choice of both though, many sports car owners aren't necessarily keen drivers. Some just want something that looks good and drives nicely, but can go quickly when the mood takes them. And then there's those who want performance above all else. The DCT is perfect for both demographics.

If the Emira lives up to my expectations I suspect it'll be the last sports car I buy. With no noise and no levers to operate, I just can't get excited about an EV, even one with a Lotus badge! :)

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, marclurr said:

If the Emira lives up to my expectations I suspect it'll be the last sports car I buy. With no noise and no levers to operate, I just can't get excited about an EV, even one with a Lotus badge! :)

I reckon that is a common theme for many of us.

Not sure I ever really want an electric car and I can't be forced into one - there will be always be petrol cars in my lifetime.  Funnily enough we hired a Twizy on holiday last week and loved it :)

I am not sure if there is an I4 in the wild yet. Just the V6 from Goodwood. I presume that it would have been run in a mule, but everything seems to be a bit quiet about it. Lots of people wondering about it though.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, KusaKusa said:

Random question, but has anyone heard/recorded the exhaust for the i4 DCT?  There are plenty of videos of the grey V6 exhaust but none of the i4.

Nope, not even an engine start up.

We might not even hear one until Spring next year.

What we do know is that Lotus have already said that they plan to make it sound good so we can assume the whole system, right out to the exit pipe, will be fettled.

• 2 weeks later...

Drivetrain considerations are affecting my purchase decision. I really want a V6, but I really don't want another manual (I've had dozens of manual performance cars over the years but it's a case of been there, done that and I think a non-manual gearbox is the way forward).

And the 'non-manual' options are a problem... I'd much prefer a DCT, but that's out as it's I4 only and I've driven an A45 with that combination and, effective as it is, it doesn't float my boat for this car.  This leaves the V6 automatic. Now, I don't mind an auto, in fact my current daily is an AMG auto and in sports mode it's quick and responsive enough, I've also driven numerous BMW's with ZF 8 speed autos and I'm happy with them.... but, what's is the automatic in the Emira going to be like? Will it be the same as the Evora? I've not really seen a positive review of that gearbox but I've no personal experience... assuming it's the same auto as an Evora, how does it compare to more modern autos?

• Gold FFM

You have a tough choice coming up. Not easy at all.

If you are looking at 2022 anyway then hopefully by the end of the summer you can get a go in all of the variants which will help you a lot.

I thought I heard that Lotus will have  litle fiddle with the AMG set-up to make it more 'Lotus'. I  might be wrong. 

Either way, wait until they are out.

If you cannot wait  then the safest option is still the V6. It will be rarer, sound good and it will be a decent box.

9 minutes ago, Evotion said:

You have a tough choice coming up. Not easy at all.

If you are looking at 2022 anyway then hopefully by the end of the summer you can get a go in all of the variants which will help you a lot.

I thought I heard that Lotus will have  litle fiddle with the AMG set-up to make it more 'Lotus'. I  might be wrong. 

Either way, wait until they are out.

If you cannot wait  then the safest option is still the V6. It will be rarer, sound good and it will be a decent box.

That's assuming demo vehicles are available before decisions have to be made. I put my deposit down on the morning of 7 July but I've no idea where that puts me in the queue (I'm suspecting somewhere in the middle!)

• Gold FFM

Ah no, we won't get a demo drive  but those putting down deposits now will likely be able to as they will have a much longer wait.

4 hours ago, ADDeee said:

Drivetrain considerations are affecting my purchase decision. I really want a V6, but I really don't want another manual (I've had dozens of manual performance cars over the years but it's a case of been there, done that and I think a non-manual gearbox is the way forward).

And the 'non-manual' options are a problem... I'd much prefer a DCT, but that's out as it's I4 only and I've driven an A45 with that combination and, effective as it is, it doesn't float my boat for this car.  This leaves the V6 automatic. Now, I don't mind an auto, in fact my current daily is an AMG auto and in sports mode it's quick and responsive enough, I've also driven numerous BMW's with ZF 8 speed autos and I'm happy with them.... but, what's is the automatic in the Emira going to be like? Will it be the same as the Evora? I've not really seen a positive review of that gearbox but I've no personal experience... assuming it's the same auto as an Evora, how does it compare to more modern autos?

go try a 400 IPS and see if you like it. It will be the same for the Emira . I tried one but autos/DCT just didn’t do anything for me. The manual is nice on the whole (had a 410 Evora). IPS shifted quick enough and was responsive . Not bad at all really but not for me. 

10 hours ago, ADDeee said:

Loved my Evora 400 auto.  Very similar to F type and AMG GT I had, so all good. If concerned, try and find an Evora 400 auto for a test drive.  

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

have the IPS on our GT430, no issues as good as the Audi DSG box, don't think you will be disappointed but as others have said do try Evora 400 auto (especially with latest software)

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

I have had an Evora S1 NA and 400 both auto/ips and the 400 is being replaced with Emira auto.

I did 20k miles in the S1 and 25k in the 400 with no issues. If the Emira auto is as bigger an improvement from the S1 to 400 I will be well pleased, but dont expect much change from the 400.