free hit
counters
Which drivetrain have you selected? - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Which drivetrain have you selected?

Bibs

Which drivetrain have you selected?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would be interesting to see what options people are going for...

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I know going for the i4 means I won't get the car in time for my European Driving Holiday next year but, let's be honest, I won't exactly be slumming it in my current Evora if the Emira isn't ready, so there's that.

For me, this is my daily car and, as much as I will probably miss a manual on a *cough* progressive weekend drive, it will be mostly commuting/ business trips and that invariably involves a LOT of stop-start driving in Traffic.

I also happen to quite like the thought of a lighter-weight engine, with that pedigree - not that there is anything wrong with the Toyota lump that I've got in my current 400.  

I also just fancy something different!

• Like 2

If the car had been lighter, like the Alpine I  had, then the lighter AMG unit would have been obvious choice for me 

Howver now being a heavier car, I don’t think the weight saving of AMG is relevant for me, so now down to cost. If they were all the same price then V6 Auto as enjoyed that in the Evora 400.  If there is a huge difference in price then the AMG unit 

Challenge for me was I put deposit down a month ago as wanted one of the earlier cars.  If the first cars are only V6 with a big price difference that’s going to be a dilemma  

First world problems hey 🤪

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

No DCT with the V6 though right, would that mean the same configuration as the Evora? I never had an issue with it but hoping it's been breathed on over the years,

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

• Gold FFM

The V6 is not even on the radar for me. I love an Amg Merc had a couple and the Esprit is a 4 pot turbo just seems right to me, ahem and it is cheaper 

Was interesting chatting to the team at FoS today. They’ve been massively surprised by the interest in the i4 engine.

Massively over and above how they thought it would go.

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Absolutely. It’s the engine/gearbox combo for me.

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

I wonder if they will curtail the V6 production a bit and put more bias towards the i4 then.

Is the i4 really that much lighter? Doesn't a DCT gearbox weigh a lot  more than manual?

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

wb2.jpg

• Gold FFM

80kg lighter. And oh so more tuneable - they are getting 450bhp out of that lump……

even at the figures being mooted by lotus - the bhp per ton on the i4 is better.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Yeah, this is why I thought the 4cyl would be the right choice for the track. 

However, if I was to buy just one then it would be the V6 all day long.

It is not all about power. Those that have driven the V6, though perhaps a tad biased, have said it is fabulous and is a step up from the Evora, like for like. Also, don't believe the 400 HP bit ...

We already know it sounds great and more desirability in terms of the engine cover (or lack of) and the manual gear mech being on display (once I get that pesky mesh off).

wb2.jpg

2 hours ago, Evotion said:

I wonder if they will curtail the V6 production a bit and put more bias towards the i4 then.

A survey on lotustalk shows US orders going for the V6/manual 11:2 over I4/DCT, so far.

They have only mentioned the DIN weight, which does include all fluid and driver weighing 75kg if i understand the stuff. which means the car is actually lighter than they advertised. I do think that they wont commit on clear spec as long as the work on some interior bits get fully specced. There is 80kg difference between the 4cyl powertrain and the V6 powertrain.  the sad thing here is that unless they have worked a little more magic dust on the BG6 which is notn impossible as they do open the thing to set their own ratios in there, the bg6 is torque limited. However it has been said that the engine bay has better passive cooling and venting, if so the torque limit on the manual could be lifted past 430 nm in potential future iteration. I think we've all seen that screen capture with 478bhp number. They may actually can the  V6 auto early as the 4cyl DCT will be pretty much better in every regard except may very long distance cruising. But then if you do mostly long distance cruising the V6 manual would be 30kg lighter than the auto and have the exposed linkage....

Personally I like the idea of a "sensible" 4 cylinder with 8 speed to get crazy mileage will cruising and have enough left in the tank to have a bit of fun once Vancouver is far behind me and the highway gets twisty.

Edited by NedaSay

Likely V6 manual like my previous Exige, but does anyone know if the AMG option will have an LSD?  If it had a proper mechanical LSD rather than some sort of crappy e-diff it would sway me. 

I note the title of this thread includes “….have you selected”.  Not, for instance, “what you would select if you were going to buy an Emira”.  (And I wonder how many can truly be committed given the current lack of information.)

So I’ve not voted as, foreseeably, I am not a buyer. The Emira is of no interest to me without a manual gear change – yes, I’ve tried paddle shifts, an Alpine quite recently – and I’m not going to pay £90K+ for a First Edition V6 as currently known.  If  – and I rather doubt it – Lotus do the V6 in a future, lighter, higher performance, Evora GT430-equivalent version, those will likely top the £100K mark, perhaps significantly so. Not for me. I would need to be committed to choosing a Lotus on principle alone to pay that amount for a power train that is certainly getting on if not yet wholly past it.

As a long term, multi-Lotus buyer, several new, should I feel that I’m now a deserter?  No, not with a 250 Cup in the garage. (Not many available now!)  But, by Lotus not including a manual gearchange in a more moderately priced version, I do feel a process of desertion has happened.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, mdavies said:

I note the title of this thread includes “….have you selected”.  Not, for instance, “what you would select if you were going to buy an Emira”.  (And I wonder how many can truly be committed given the current lack of information.)

So I’ve not voted as, foreseeably, I am not a buyer. The Emira is of no interest to me without a manual gear change – yes, I’ve tried paddle shifts, an Alpine quite recently – and I’m not going to pay £90K+ for a First Edition V6 as currently known.  If  – and I rather doubt it – Lotus do the V6 in a future, lighter, higher performance, Evora GT430-equivalent version, those will likely top the £100K mark, perhaps significantly so. Not for me. I would need to be committed to choosing a Lotus on principle alone to pay that amount for a power train that is certainly getting on if not yet wholly past it.

As a long term, multi-Lotus buyer, several new, should I feel that I’m now a deserter?  No, not with a 250 Cup in the garage. (Not many available now!)  But, by Lotus not including a manual gearchange in a more moderately priced version, I do feel a process of desertion has happened.

I hear ya. You are not alone and I do fully understand the grievances of Lotus owners.  I too would not actually sell a Lotus for it per se. It would have to join it and complement what I had.

I think you are right and we will see an Emira top 100k at some point.

wb2.jpg

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, bosshog said:

Reading across all the forums there’s definitely more people leaning towards the i4 I’d say. 

Yes, on the forums.

We have yet to see how this really translates into non-Lotus fans and it will be interesting to see the take up of each version in Asia, the rest of Europe and the Americas.

56 minutes ago, simonb said:

it is a tricky one, where would you rather the engine came from, an AMG or an uber

Ha. Either way, get in quick, the only choice will be EV before we know it.

The V6 sounded very good. Have it revving hard on video too.

• Like 1

wb2.jpg