free hit
counters
Coming to an Emira from other marques - Page 2 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Coming to an Emira from other marques

TomE

1 hour ago, Napoli said:

Coming from Porsche and Ferrari ownership. 

Love the Emira styling and engine note - OMG!  Visually, the Emira reminds me of my 488 - and the F8, more so.  The Emira will primarily be my wife's car, and will probably replace her 2016 Cayman PDK GTS.  She purchased the last Cayman 6 cylinder GTS before Porsche moved to the 718 4-banger.  

My wife loves her GTS - and it fits her well - but would have much preferred a 3-pedal manual to the PDK.  Anyhow, with a beautifully sculptured supercar body and a manual stick between the seats, the Emira appeared as a white knight in the soon-to-be stick-shiftless world of automobiles.  And, sans EV to boot.  All in.

So, here we are on bended knee, ignoring what has been said/not said in the press about those all important specs, and hoping the Emira comes in at/under 2,900 lbs and 450-ish HP.  Wishful thinking, we know.  But, just imagine.  🤠

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

Hope it all works out for you.

You should duck across to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 12/07/2021 at 05:00, JJ said:

Team Swift Sport assemble! Mine is first-gen, such a fun little car, and ideal for tiny-street Europe, I might even keep it as backup as well if I get the Emira.

The Emira will be my first Lotus unless I cancel later on. Contacted the local dealer the morning after the announcement, and he already had half a dozen reservations in! I've been looking for my next car for a while, haven't been sure what to get. I don't have to drive much for either work or personal life, I'm relatively well off by local standards, and no children, so all options have been open to me. But the car I buy, if not a cheap beater (like my Swift) has to really be "the one" for me. I don't believe in putting cars away and taking them for a spin every third Sunday, I will daily whatever I get.

I've been looking at so many things, I'm all over the place. From Cayman to C8, from RS3 to E63S, from Pista to Huracan, from Plaid to Roadster 2020 to NSX. But there's always something wrong with it. The Cayman is a vertically challenged Beetle, though I might get over that, and the Boxster is a soft-top. RS3, E63S and Plaid, that's a lot of seats I won't really be needing, and the ass of the E63S is just not slappable. Ferrari and Lamborghini, the family jewels aren't small enough to warrant making that amount of noise in public with a daily, and though I could, I don't want to spend that amount of money. Both the NSX and C8 are cars I've driven abroad and loved, but are not sold here, can't be serviced by a dealer here, and the local carbon tax puts their price in Lambo territory. Roadster 2020 might not actually ever be for sale, though I love how it looks. But I can drive electric the rest of my life, something like the Emira will probably not come around again.

There are only three things I am concerned about with the Emira:

1. Price - I mentioned carbon tax before. At this point I don't know if I even want the V6 manual or the I4 DCT, but said tax may price the V6 out of the range I feel is reasonable. It it gets close to Roadster 2020 territory, then I'll probably feel that is a better deal, though that car may still be too expensive for me to feel comfortable in, and might not actually be as much fun as the Emira.

2. Ride height and/or front lift - will it clear the local speed bumps (of which there are plenty) and driveways and parking garage ramps *easily* and *swiftly*? If it won't, there's just absolutely no point to this car. Can't daily a car you need to baby every other minute, I'd pull all my hair out in a week.

3. Roof - It's just not a targa. How is it not a targa? Why is it not a targa? Targaaaa! If it had been a targa it'd be a 10/10 car.

It was love at first sight at the announcement though, so I hope these will not end up being a problem.

Car history is Daihatsu Charade, multiple Trans-Ams, Hyundai Coupe, and Suzuki Swift Sports. This will (may) be the first car I'll pay over 10K for.

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

Be good to see if you end up with an Emira. A friend in WA took me for a drive in his Trans-Am many years ago. I remember being amazed at the dash and all of the electronic readouts. Australia was still on analog needle speedos. 😐

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

2 hours ago, ramjet said:

A friend in WA took me for a drive in his Trans-Am many years ago. I remember being amazed at the dash and all of the electronic readouts. Australia was still on analog needle speedos. 😐

:welcome:

That digital dash in the early 80's T/A's sure was something! I've seen it, but none of mine had it, they were all analog.

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Napoli said:

So, here we are on bended knee, ignoring what has been said/not said in the press about those all important specs, and hoping the Emira comes in at/under 2,900 lbs and 450-ish HP.  Wishful thinking, we know.  But, just imagine.  🤠

Welcome!  I also think it looks like a modern Ferrari, perhaps even cleaner looking, especially in the Magma Red, at a quarter of the price BUT not having the matching performance unfortunately.

Weight is looking between 3050 to 3200Lbs, depending on spec. Power 360HP or 416HP with room to upgrade.

This will NOT be for lightweight/power fanatics but, as an everyday, versatile, epic looing sports cars it is bang on!

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

10 minutes ago, JJ said:

:welcome:

That digital dash in the early 80's T/A's sure was something! I've seen it, but none of mine had it, they were all analog.

There was red displays everywhere. It was like looking at about 6 big calculator screens all at the same time. :D 

52 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Welcome!  I also think it looks like a modern Ferrari, perhaps even cleaner looking, especially in the Magma Red, at a quarter of the price BUT not having the matching performance unfortunately.

Weight is looking between 3050 to 3200Lbs, depending on spec. Power 360HP or 416HP with room to upgrade.

This will NOT be for lightweight/power fanatics but, as an everyday, versatile, epic looing sports cars it is bang on!

I had read on another forum that the Emira would officially (in USA terms) come in at 2933 lbs. The EU calculates weight  at 1330kg (2933 lbs.) because they use the EU DIN Kerb weight standard, 75kg is added for driver and baggage.

Regarding HP, I have seen screenshots on the performance data screen that indicate that 480 hp were achieved.

Please let it all be true. 😎

https://www.lotustalk.com/attachments/screenshot_20210707-133404_instagram-2-jpg.1291430/

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Napoli said:

I had read on another forum that the Emira would officially (in USA terms) come in at 2933 lbs.

I hope so but I think that might be a dry weight.  That would please a lot of people if it comes in there, given all the comfort add-ons.

Welcome to TLF @Veloist & @dvq  :welcome:

which way are you thinking of going? V6 or I4?

You should duck over and say hi in the Introductions area as well. :) 

3 hours ago, dvq said:

I then replaced the S2000 with a BMW M4 Competition but it's a bit too much of a compromise between daily and fun car. 

Welcome! I had an F80 M3 as a daily. If the Emira drives anything like the Evora (it should be even better), it will be worlds away from the M4.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, Veloist said:

I currently own a GR Supra

Ah, I saw that at Goodwood for the first time. I wasn't even aware it existed!. Looked decent value at £10k to £15 less than a 4-cyl Emira so will do okay.

Looked mean. Is it any good?

13 hours ago, Veloist said:

that gives me the special driver-connectedness,

Although I am a HUGE Emira fan, you might want to take out an Exige/Elise as the experience will be a lot more raw than the Emira - just in case.

I am not intending to move you out of an Emira but you need to know how Epic those previous Lotus are!!

• Like 1

I have my deposit down and I will be coming out of a BMW M2 Competition and have never driven or owned a Lotus before. Not sure which version I will be going for yet, but I just had order one. 

• Like 2

Replying to my own concerns posted earlier re: ride height and the Dutch speed-bump dystopia, Lotus UK has gotten back to me and confirmed there will not be any form of front-axle lift or the likes to get around the problem, should it present itself. Understandably, they were not willing to give up details on actual ride height at this time though.

EDIT: Haha, now my dealer has gotten back to me to in response to my email to Lotus UK. That is so weird. Makes me hesitant to ask any questions really. Help, they're ganging up on me!

Edited by JJ

It's been designed as a daily car for a global market and I'm sure that will be reflected in the ramp angle :thumbup:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

7 hours ago, Evotion said:

Ah, I saw that at Goodwood for the first time. I wasn't even aware it existed!. Looked decent value at £10k to £15 less than a 4-cyl Emira so will do okay.

Looked mean. Is it any good?

Although I am a HUGE Emira fan, you might want to take out an Exige/Elise as the experience will be a lot more raw than the Emira - just in case.

I am not intending to move you out of an Emira but you need to know how Epic those previous Lotus are!!

The GR Supra has been since mid-2019! I have mixed feelings toward it but it’s a good car. It’s highlights are the high-torque engine and short wheelbase. At the same time those are ingredients for nasty things if you’re not careful so it definitely require a bit of driver involvement. However it only comes in Automatic. That’s not as much a big drawback to me than it’s numb steering feel. It has less overall feedback than a BRZ.

I would LOVE to get behind the wheel of an Elise and Exige. Never found one to drive but would definitely jump on it if I get the chance!

Edited by Veloist

• Gold FFM

Ah, more poor marketing if I have never seen it advertised!

Is it the same engine as the Emira at least?

• Confused 2

The oversimplified view of the Supra is its a BMW Z4 with a roof. Its not just got the engine, it IS a BMW. Built in the same place (Austria), has the same interior, iDrive control, etc.

Much like the Toyota 86 (GT86) is a Subaru BRZ. Exact. Same. Car.

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

The Supra? It’s got a BMW straight 6 (from the Z4), hasn’t it?

It's available with a 4-pot (also BMW I think) as well. I had a good look at the Z4 2 years ago at the Brussels motor show. One of the very few cars there that I kinda liked (or at least didn't dislike instantly, apart from the lack of a manual). But I didn't give it a second thought or ask for a testdrive as it wouldn't come close to replacing the Esprit.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.