free hit
counters
Coming to an Emira from other marques - Page 4 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Coming to an Emira from other marques

TomE

Lots of 2 seaters Mazda Rx7 to Detomaso Mangusta to Lancia Scorpion to Lotus S1 to Lotus SE to Corvette C7 and Ferrari 430 to Corvette C8. Keeping 430 and will probably swap out C8 when Emira comes. 

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
On 19/07/2021 at 15:58, Mctaff said:

Sold my 4.7 vantage coupe earlier in the year and got a Macan gts, thinking the practicality would outweigh the compromise.

how wrong I was!!

Good point, all round totally different needs, previously sold my 991S in favour of a Macan Turbo as I couldn’t do this with a 911 😂

F389EE6A-1132-486D-AE8F-E83E9D3EA778.jpeg.a5f8ff0ef84f4a3f971cc5e4b58f2c75.jpeg

yeah, I was finding the vantage wasn’t really moving as my wife was scared of it and boot too small for more than a weekend away, but her A1 was too uncomfortable for a long drive…

so figured we could share a fast suv instead, not realising it was a lot duller day to day than the test drive had me believe!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, Fhteacher said:

Detomaso Mangusta

Awesome!  One of my old Top Trumps cars I liked. 

That and the Pantera, along with the Maserati Merak and Bora was such aspirational cars.

If I was brave enough, or a great mechanic,  I would love a car like this now.    Quite like the Iso Grifo too.

My absolutely fave from that time was the Monteverdi Hai.  Good days.

51 minutes ago, Mctaff said:

yeah, I was finding the vantage wasn’t really moving as my wife was scared of it and boot too small for more than a weekend away, but her A1 was too uncomfortable for a long drive…

so figured we could share a fast suv instead, not realising it was a lot duller day to day than the test drive had me believe!

Ha, yep, life is full of compromises!  

The things we do for our family 🤪

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

yup.

hence why I now have a Cayman 4.0 GTS and an Emira deposit on the go!!

😀

• Gold FFM

😄  I'd obviously keep the Emira deposit but you can lose the Cayman one. 😛

My sons have flown the nest. In your position I would be getting a Giulia QF or a Stelvio QF.

my friend was an Alfa nut... not sold on the build quality or reliability... albeit both have improved recently... still too plasticky for my liking.

I don't have kids, just wanted a more practical car with the Macan - boot big enough for a week away and comfy but fast too.

Cayman I should get by Xmas... reckon it will be following Xmas for the Emira, so may end up following through on both, and switching when the Emira is ready

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Welcome!

Great choices. I doubt you will need both. They are similar - though the Alpine is lighter but with lower power.  Which one do you keep is the real question.

The Alpine is rare. Only seen a few. That in itself is a cool thing. 

• Like 1

Coming from a vx220 turbo (which I’m intending to keep), I kind of feel I’m not really new to the marque, I’m sure die hard Lotus fans would disagree though :)

• Like 1

Future wish list - Exige V6

4 hours ago, Evotion said:

Welcome!

Great choices. I doubt you will need both. They are similar - though the Alpine is lighter but with lower power.  Which one do you keep is the real question.

The Alpine is rare. Only seen a few. That in itself is a cool thing. 

Agree - quite similar. Will depend on how the Emira drives. And also, if I go in for the V6 manual. Would not enjoy taking stop-start London driving in that as a daily. Was easier in the Alpine as there was no choice of engine or gearbox - along with its size, makes for pretty good city driving too.

Yeah! the Alpine does feel special and makes heads turn and thumbs up wherever I go. Seen only three others in the UK in the time I had it - one last weekend! 

Edited by LotusAmateur

• Gold FFM

My thinking on manual versus Auto has changed in the last few years.

Both of my current bikes have quickshifters, up and down, so I dont need the clutch, You don't have to rev match. The knee jerk reaction is for somebody to say it takes the fun out of the gears but the positives in speed, the noises the shifts make and the ability to focus more on the ring BY FAR smashes it.

It's the same NEW with cars.  I do now believe a sports car should have the latest and singing auto with double clutch or whatever. It is actually joyous when it's a good system and you can really focus on the steering and handling enjoyment. Rifling through upshifts at full revs is amazing - not even a lift of the throttle.

However.....

For the last Lotus ICE and in non-turboed V6 it just made sense to have it in manual. I think this is great for residuals and I dont intent to slaughter the V6 (unlike the AMG4) so will take it a bit easier, especially from standstill, and just enjoy the mechanics of the car.

But... side by side... which car will I automatically grab the keys for?   This is where sound makes the difference. THAT will be the car I prefer.

• Gold FFM

Well, it will be even rarer, it is cheaper and it has doors that go up!!  (looks like based on my Sera/Mac F1 Doors)  BUT it is not exactly a looker 🙈

Have you both driven it?

If it is 2/3rds the cost of the Emira and is really dynamic then it will be a contender.

On 27/07/2021 at 18:26, Denno said:

Coming from a vx220 turbo (which I’m intending to keep), I kind of feel I’m not really new to the marque, I’m sure die hard Lotus fans would disagree though :)

Designed by Lotus, built at Hethel, has a Lotus type number, you're part of the family :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 28/07/2021 at 10:48, Evotion said:

My thinking on manual versus Auto has changed in the last few years.

Both of my current bikes have quickshifters, up and down, so I dont need the clutch, You don't have to rev match. The knee jerk reaction is for somebody to say it takes the fun out of the gears but the positives in speed, the noises the shifts make and the ability to focus more on the ring BY FAR smashes it.

It's the same NEW with cars.  I do now believe a sports car should have the latest and singing auto with double clutch or whatever. It is actually joyous when it's a good system and you can really focus on the steering and handling enjoyment. Rifling through upshifts at full revs is amazing - not even a lift of the throttle.

However.....

For the last Lotus ICE and in non-turboed V6 it just made sense to have it in manual. I think this is great for residuals and I dont intent to slaughter the V6 (unlike the AMG4) so will take it a bit easier, especially from standstill, and just enjoy the mechanics of the car.

But... side by side... which car will I automatically grab the keys for?   This is where sound makes the difference. THAT will be the car I prefer.

I hate autos. Never in the gear I want and paddle things confuse me. I also find I’m less involved with the experience.

Stick any day!

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I hear ya but if you are in a fast car with an epic DCT - as in the Ferrari F8, then, my god, it is brilliant.

For all out speed, or track use, the modern 'autos' are great fun.

This time next year I will likely know for sure as I will test both cars back to back.

I think one car with each is the way forward 👍

On 28/07/2021 at 20:26, Evotion said:

Well, it will be even rarer, it is cheaper and it has doors that go up!!  (looks like based on my Sera/Mac F1 Doors)  BUT it is not exactly a looker 🙈

Have you both driven it?

If it is 2/3rds the cost of the Emira and is really dynamic then it will be a contender.

Not seen, let alone driven the Vertige yet. Only pictures/video so far, just like Emira... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My wife says the Wells Vertige is potentially the most beautiful car she has ever seen. I love the spec of the Wells on paper. Very light, more than sufficient power. Small. Perfect for English backroads. The announcement of the max torque, full fat 415hp AMG version of Emira would seal the deal...

Edited by cobwatch

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, cobwatch said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Of course.  I do like quirky cars, even 'ugly' ones like the  Metro 6R4.

Different is good. I would probably like it. I got the Sera as it is super rare and quirky.

I was comparing it to the Emira but even some people say they don't really like it.

I can't fathom that as, to me, it looks the best of a Ferrari, McLaren and Aston Martin in one - for half the price.

21 hours ago, Evotion said:

I hear ya but if you are in a fast car with an epic DCT - as in the Ferrari F8, then, my god, it is brilliant.

For all out speed, or track use, the modern 'autos' are great fun.

This time next year I will likely know for sure as I will test both cars back to back.

I think one car with each is the way forward 👍

Yeah I’m with that, but I don’t do tracks much, and the feedback from the stick and the fact you need to consider changing gear for me means you’re far more in tune with the car, which increases my engagement and enjoyment.

• Gold FFM

Fair enough, can't argue with that. 

I will stick by saying that a DCT is actually more 'fun'.  The way you slickly flick through the gears , up and down, is marvellous entertainment.

These days it is a super close thing. I imagine I will always have a manual and, for the Emira, it is my first choice by a mile.

theres a very easy principle if you stick to it you will enjoy life and be at peace.

if its a daily in the city (traffic) = DCT > Auto> Manual
if its a daily in the suburbs = manual > DCT > Auto
if its a weekend car = manual > DCT > Auto

if its track car then:
performance = DCT > manual > Auto
fun = manual > DCT > Auto

whichever activity constitutes 80% of your driving experience then pick the option that suites it.

I just realized auto is the least fun option in most scenarios😁 that was not intentional.

Edited by Nass
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

Agree with that except that  I think DCT is a LOT more fun  BUT manual is more engaging and rewarding. Not the same things.

The best scenario is to have a manual V6 as your fun road car and the DCT i4 for track and traffic -  Oooh, that sounds good 😍

Palm Beach Florida lotus dealer website shows starting US price at $85,000.

Direct translation from 60,000 Pounds to Dollars is $83,414

I wonder if they know more than we do or are they just speculating US pricing like the rest of us?

I am hoping it is less and more in line with Cayman pricing here.   I have to get this purchase past the wife still and really wanted a Manual.

here is link to dealer website

https://lotuspalmbeach.com/emira.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8s3Rmu6X8gIVR7KGCh2XDACFEAAYASAAEgKdbvD_BwE