free hit
counters
Speedo Cable and Speedometer - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Speedo Cable and Speedometer

Good morning Gents,

Just a quick question; hopefully!!!

I have just had my speedometer blow up (the needle started going haywire and then the spring behind it unravelled).

Luckily I have a replacement and put that in but again the needle seems to be jumping up and down quite a bit.

Can a faulty or rough cable damage a speedo, any advice on where to get my broken one fixed.... and is anyone on here selling a Speedo that they are sat on (just in case my second one is actually faulty too)?

Cheers

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, a bad or sticky cable will "wind up " and release in the housing giving a bouncy needle. Maybe the erratic speed tweaked the speedo.  I'd pull the inner cable out and have a look at it, clean / replace as needed before I ran the new speedo.  If you look, there are inexpensive generic inner cable replacement kits that are long enough for the Esprit, but be sure to rule out outer sheath damage/gunk/corrosion.

Cheers.

i’ll pull out the inner part and inspect.

just out of interest; you can purchase a one piece or two piece cable... are these interchangeable and is there any benefit over using either one??

Mark

The one I used had one end factory squared, and a crimp-on square end that you put on after cutting it to length. I guess that's a two piece?  I presume a Lotus exact replacement would be one-piece made to the precise length, and easier to fit and less likely to come apart?  Standard universal inner replacement kits are not long enough to reach back to the rear of the car, look for the longer length.

Sorry for the late reply...

Later Stevens 4-cyl Esprits had two piece cables (with an extra 'joint' halfway in).

Not sure of the timeframe, but I bet that an '89 SE would have a single core from the trans to the binnacle, as our Citroen-trans '88 does.

Maintenance simply entails pulling the core out (best done on our '88 from the binnacle end). Assure that the core's ends are 'square' and not rounded.

Wipe the core clean. Obtain some drip type graphite lubricant (Lock-Ease is a common brand), wherein the liquid carrier evaporates after a while, leaving the dry graphite that will not attract more dirt. You can use any leftovers on throttle cables and door/ignition locks.

Cover your instrument panel leather (the lubricant will stain), then coat the cable as you insert it, turning, pushing, and pulling it as you go. On the Citroen trans , best practice is to connect the cable to the instrument FIRST, then the transmission.

• Thanks 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, has anyone got a photo they could share with me roughly showing the path the speedo takes from gearbox to speedo on an 88 - 92 (SE)??🙏

I have just bought a two piece cable and followed the way the previous cable ran… but I think this might have been replaced previously and doesn’t look standard!!🤔

x 2 p clips on the chassis apparently!!

Cheers

Mark

• Gold FFM

The cable goes through the interior, next to the gear stick and under the arm rest and then passed through the bulkhead towards the engine.

No photo, but a diagram from the manual:

Speedo SE.pdf

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.