free hit
counters
Help with buying an S3 NA wanted - Page 2 - Wanted - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Help with buying an S3 NA wanted

SimonJam

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Bling said:

@SimonJam - there is also this one: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1981-lotus-esprit-s3-knrMpg

The white one is definitely overpriced. You should be looking to pay around £25k for a good one

Whilst the dreadful sunroof devalues this car I think you'll need to pay £35k for a really good S3.

If you want to buy one that needs work and money then there will be quite a few at c£25k.

Mine is in tip top condition and couldn't be bought for £35k (if it was for sale) with an agreed valuation to match. Check out recent magazines for how good S3's are.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

There was an incredible one at Brands in 2015 I think - an ice blue one - just fully restored and it was a thing of utter beauty. It was £34995 back then - and worth every penny. Prices have risen since.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

That red S3 - 1981 - has had a replacement front bumper and bonnet by the look of it? - as the bonnet has two air vents (which only came on the HC car) and the later indicators / bumper design on the front - so it is not original but not the end of the day of course... 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1981-lotus-esprit-s3-knrMpg

Key question is why it needed a new front bumper/bonnet and who did the repairs - Looking at the way in which the side trim has been applied I doubt that it was Lotus.. 

• Gold FFM
On 14/07/2021 at 20:47, Bazza 907 said:

Whilst the dreadful sunroof devalues this car I think you'll need to pay £35k for a really good S3.

If you want to buy one that needs work and money then there will be quite a few at c£25k.

Mine is in tip top condition and couldn't be bought for £35k (if it was for sale) with an agreed valuation to match. Check out recent magazines for how good S3's are.

What about this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203502495668

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Ridiculous price for a turbo let alone an n/a. The prices he is  quoting are for S1 esprits

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 14/07/2021 at 18:35, SimonJam said:

That’s been sold. It’s been on their site for ages, but is gone.

Have only just seen this thread, but afraid that was me - I bought the black S3 HC NA back in March/April, but it was still "for sale" until about last week on the website!

There's certainly some interesting prices being advertised for S3 NA's at the moment - not sure that 1981 red one in Poole actually sold though? It had been advertised several times on here/CarAndClassic/Autotrader for about £40k, and then ended up at auction on CarAndClassic, but don't think it met it's reserve.

Good luck with your search - I was in your shoes a year ago and took several attempts to find the car I ended up with, but super happy with it so far!

• Gold FFM

I have indeed.  Someone has spent a lot of money on this one; I'd say fairly recently.  I did a C service, fitted a new exhaust, and had the turbo rebuilt.

Interior has been retrimmed, but not exactly standard!  Quite nice though.  A very pretty car. @Blinghas been to see it, so maybe best to hear from him...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

It is a very lovely car. It will definitely turn heads when you are out in it. The interior is not standard but it is very nice, I classed it as germanic, that is similar design to what you would expect to see in a Porsche or Mercedes. Definitely worth going to view.

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner