free hit
counters
X180 Door rubber seal steer needed - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

X180 Door rubber seal steer needed

Hi all,

My driver's door rubber seal is starting to part company from its base. Any tips on what to do? Attempt to re attach it with glue? Have the whole thing removed and replaced? Any steers much appreciated!

20210717_101449.jpg

20210717_101502.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

If it's torn like that, you have little chance of fixing it. The rubber is to flexible for glue to get a good hold, so it will soon come lose again. Better to replace, as already said.

While not difficult, getting the new seal properly seated can be a bit of a job. It will seem slightly too big until fully seated all the way 'round. When I did mine I made sure I had the 5 corners in place and the slack at the (long) bottom stretch. Then I tapped it around several times to work out the slack. I used my hand, and felt it afterwards, so a soft hammer would be a better idea. 😉

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Posted (edited)

Replacement Rubber thing ordered from SJ Sportscars...

Thanks everyone for the steers and help. Sure I will be back soon with another daft question...

B079U4197F.jpg

Edited by JR
typo
  • Like 1

Hi JR, not sure where you are located and I didn't want to reply before checking, but having just look in my garage of bits 30 mins ago (probably as you were ordering from SJS) and I do seemingly have a spare drivers side rubber for my 1988 X180 - not sure if its been used or not but in very good condition.

If you haven't yet confirmed your order with SJS and want this as a freebie, send me a personal message and I'll happily post it to you if you're in UK.

20210719_143457 - Edited.jpg

Oh - that's SO kind of you - but have ordered from SJ Sportscars.

As I said in my published letter in issue 20 of Absolute Lotus magazine, the kindness of the Esprit family is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I took off and put back the door seals when I did the carpets last week. Started at the 90degree corner then worked my way round pushing it in. Ended up with a surprising amount of slack which of course meant that a section wouldn't push back on. Took it back off, kind of pulled it back on itself bit by bit when pressing it in again, took 3 goes but managed to get rid of the slack. The whole thing is a bit more stretchable/compressible than I had expected!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Don't worry, it's easy and really not much that can go wrong. Just needs patience. 😉 

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I think woolies trim seal seals

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 3 weeks later...

I now have the part from SJ Sportscars - part number B079U4197F - can anyone (please) give me a steer which adhesive should be purchased (in the UK) for the engineer to install it?

20210809_095044.jpg

45 minutes ago, Erikl said:

I thought they snap on - no adhesive?  At least mine have no adhesive on them.

Just spoke to SJ Sportscars and you are right - no adhesive required!