free hit
counters
Rusty metal flakes from exterior door handle - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rusty metal flakes from exterior door handle

What look like flakes of rust keep appearing in my exterior door handle recess. Twanging the handle makes a few more fall out. I can't see where they are coming from. Maybe the handle has an internal spring that is already corroding? The car is 4 years old but lives outside.

I'm contemplating ordering a spare pair of door handles (£17ish+VAT each) while they are still available, as at some point I'm thinking that they will fall to bits.

Evora door handle rust.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To try and stop the rot, I decided to drench the door handles with ACF50 corrosion inhibiter fluid. The very next day the car’s central door locking breaks! Coincidence???

Anyway it was just a blown fuse, with the factory having installed one rated at 7.5A, instead of 10A as per the workshop manual. All working well now and hopefully the door handles will survive a bit longer.

The metal parts that touch the exterior door handle are the 2 nuts that hold it to the door, and the rod that connects to the latch mechanism. I don't believe the handle has a spring itself, and relies on the spring in the latch to return the handle to the neutral position. 

If I had to wager a guess, it would be the rod itself is maybe a bit rusty on the end, being mild steel.