free hit
counters
1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo Dry Sump - Lotusforsale.com - Latest Ads - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo Dry Sump

For sale my 1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo

On the Dry Sump Register, the previous owner, SimonE, posted on the Forum regarding his rebuild of the engine in 2009, seemed there was an oil leak when it was started and he thereafter lost interest, I purchased in March 2019 from a Classic car dealer who presumably purchased from Simon. It was running rough when purchased so I tuned the carbs and had it running sweetly for about an hour, only then did I notice the copious amounts of oil coming from underneath, it must have leaked at least a litre in that hour, so I duly shut it down and haven’t attempted starting it since.

I believe there was mention of the front crankshaft oil seal leaking, I suspect it was split when installing over the crank, easily done if the correct installation sleeve is neglected.

I have the invoices for engine parts from PNM when the build was undertaken, Simon mentioned that the scavenge pumps were inspected and found to be in excellent condition.

The cambelt is now 12 years old and I wouldn’t attempt another start until that is changed and the crankshaft oil seal replaced, it was my intention to take the engine out and attend to its requirements, however, I have other commitments and I doubt I will ever get around to it, 10 years ago I would have whipped the engine out on the day of purchase, I find that I no longer have the inclination, sign of getting old I guess.

I have owned four Esprits and worked on them all, but I am not sure whether the crankshaft oil seal can be changed in situ, I believe it can but I can’t be certain, the cambelt can be done without removing the engine and I have done so several times.

It is a highly desirable car nonetheless, body and paint in great condition, the interior was slightly faded when purchased and I have had time to recolour the leather in the original Lotus shade which was colour matched to Mustard by Furniture Clinic after I sent them a sample removed from under the seat, the interior now looks like new and has a great smell, there are no splits in the leather, just had to fill in a few nicks.

I currently have the Esprit, an Altair Green Elite S2.2 and a Monaco White Eclat S2.2, I have decided to sell two and consequently will be putting the others up for sale, whatever remains after two have sold will be kept, if it is the Esprit then so be it, I will eventually get around to sorting out the engine.

At the moment it is up for sale and initially I am looking for offers, ideally from Forum members but it will soon go on EBay, not that it will sell on there, they rarely make reserve, but it is a medium to alert potentially interested parties, my intention is thereafter to put it into the next classic car auction at Duxford, however, I am more than happy to allow viewings at any time from now and will listen to offers made, so if interested please don’t hesitate to contact me, I am in Cheshunt North London, not far from the old Lotus factory, I am available most days, David 07458395770, or email me on [email protected]

The post 1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo Dry Sump appeared first on lotusforsale.com.

Click to view item

Auto-generated post from www.lotusforsale.com - Click 'view full article' to respond to the poster.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/07/2021 at 23:32, lotusforsale.com said:

For sale my 1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo

On the Dry Sump Register, the previous owner, SimonE, posted on the Forum regarding his rebuild of the engine in 2009, seemed there was an oil leak when it was started and he thereafter lost interest, I purchased in March 2019 from a Classic car dealer who presumably purchased from Simon. It was running rough when purchased so I tuned the carbs and had it running sweetly for about an hour, only then did I notice the copious amounts of oil coming from underneath, it must have leaked at least a litre in that hour, so I duly shut it down and haven’t attempted starting it since.

I believe there was mention of the front crankshaft oil seal leaking, I suspect it was split when installing over the crank, easily done if the correct installation sleeve is neglected.

I have the invoices for engine parts from PNM when the build was undertaken, Simon mentioned that the scavenge pumps were inspected and found to be in excellent condition.

The cambelt is now 12 years old and I wouldn’t attempt another start until that is changed and the crankshaft oil seal replaced, it was my intention to take the engine out and attend to its requirements, however, I have other commitments and I doubt I will ever get around to it, 10 years ago I would have whipped the engine out on the day of purchase, I find that I no longer have the inclination, sign of getting old I guess.

I have owned four Esprits and worked on them all, but I am not sure whether the crankshaft oil seal can be changed in situ, I believe it can but I can’t be certain, the cambelt can be done without removing the engine and I have done so several times.

It is a highly desirable car nonetheless, body and paint in great condition, the interior was slightly faded when purchased and I have had time to recolour the leather in the original Lotus shade which was colour matched to Mustard by Furniture Clinic after I sent them a sample removed from under the seat, the interior now looks like new and has a great smell, there are no splits in the leather, just had to fill in a few nicks.

I currently have the Esprit, an Altair Green Elite S2.2 and a Monaco White Eclat S2.2, I have decided to sell two and consequently will be putting the others up for sale, whatever remains after two have sold will be kept, if it is the Esprit then so be it, I will eventually get around to sorting out the engine.

At the moment it is up for sale and initially I am looking for offers, ideally from Forum members but it will soon go on EBay, not that it will sell on there, they rarely make reserve, but it is a medium to alert potentially interested parties, my intention is thereafter to put it into the next classic car auction at Duxford, however, I am more than happy to allow viewings at any time from now and will listen to offers made, so if interested please don’t hesitate to contact me, I am in Cheshunt North London, not far from the old Lotus factory, I am available most days, David 07458395770, or email me on [email protected]

The post 1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo Dry Sump appeared first on lotusforsale.com.

Click to view item

allready sold? great!

• Like 1

I rather fancied this Esprit and did make an enquiry. However already sold. Not sure whether is gone privately or in the trade but certainly looked a good starting point for a recommissioning project !

12 hours ago, bigfella70 said:

I rather fancied this Esprit and did make an enquiry. However already sold. Not sure whether is gone privately or in the trade but certainly looked a good starting point for a recommissioning project !

allright