free hit
counters
My 1980 Elite 2.2 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My 1980 Elite 2.2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yayy ! 😅 borrowed a more powerful jumpstarter this morning, checked oil,  made sure the water was well topped up  and she started like I had just driven the car last week instead of two years ago ! Fans cut in properly in the heat too !

(Now, why won`t the heater blower switch off ?? )

Fingers crossed for an MOT on Monday after battery recharged. Then application for Historic Vehicle tax status...

• Like 1

Thanks Tony !...(the Historic Vehicle tax status is vital to exempt it from the wider London ULEZ to be imposed in October where I live ; I think it`ll be eligible this car tax year otherwise it`ll be garaged until it is exempt... )

• Like 1

Well, the "recharged" battery turned out to be as effective as a meringue crowbar...off to Euro car parts for a replacement (Bosch S4 023)  and upon fitting that,  it started straight away (the good news) and off to the MOT...

Now the bad news. So...the rear brakes have seized and the exhaust box is full of holes .

(There`s a reason why I posted my car in this thread !)

• Like 1

The exhaust is an easy one.  The rear brakes not so much!  Depending on when the rear brakes were last serviced it might be almost as easy to drop the diff to service them, especially if the handbrake linkage needs attention - it's a bugger to get to!  Check the diff output shaft seals as well- it's common for them to leak oil into the rear brake drums.  Let us know how you get on.

Pete

Hi Pete-yes indeed the rear brakes are a pig , not so much for me as for my long-suffering mechanic friend .The diff is coming off, possibly as I write. Hope to get the MOT ticket today or tomorrow . 

• Like 1

Yayy ! MOT obtained, applying for Historic Vehicle status...then must bite the bullet take the bull by the horns grasp the nettle and sort out the engine.

In the meantime, I spray-glued the passenger seat headlining back on with the help of a mini-roller brush to flatten the fabric. Found it difficult to get the edges looking tidy though...Can`t help thinking the fix won`t last out in the sun, but for the moment any passengers won`t think they`re sitting in a mobile tent...  

Hi Pete, the diff came off and the drums just had to be loosened and greased - also the brake cylinder had to be freed off (I`m a bit vague on that one but was told it didn`t need replacing so assuming all ok ). It all sounded like problems just from leaving the car standing. As might be expected , I had kept the handbrake off all that time as well.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update… it’s now a “ Historic Vehicle “ so tax and ULEZ free ! 20 mile drive to celebrate went fine , the temp needle behaved itself particularly well even in three local stop - start queues and a ten point turn needed to garage it  ( brimmed with coolant , but maybe the new battery gives more power to fans and water pump ? ) Amazingly , ended up in traffic queue next to guy driving an Elan 2+2 ! Had a bit of a chat . Next job … the dreaded engine rebuild . 

• Like 2

It does seem to run well but is smoky and gobbles water. Tried K-seal a while back but it didn`t seem to help. Temp needle creeps up and up if I dont fill with coolant before every trip. Mayonnaise in the filler cap. So I think there`s a piston ring  issue as well as a gasket /liner one. 

• Sad 1