free hit
counters
Radiator fluid level - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mamovaka

Radiator fluid level

I'm SURE this is a dumb question, but I know the radiator fluid evaporates.. my question is what is the rate of evaporation? For instance after about 5k of driving miles to me it seems the readiator fluid level drops at least 1-2 inches from the very top.. just today I just put in some water in there..

Is this normal? I'm told it is.. but not certain..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Technically as the cooling system is a sealed system there should be no evaporation. In my personal expirince when ever the fluid level drops it's because I have a leak in one of the hoses.

Regards,

Peter.

I'm SURE this is a dumb question, but I know the radiator fluid evaporates.. my question is what is the rate of evaporation? For instance after about 5k of driving miles to me it seems the readiator fluid level drops at least 1-2 inches from the very top.. just today I just put in some water in there..

Yep I agree here. After having my engine rebuilt, I have not used a drop (not a bit - none). Which was a bit of a shock for me, after putting in coolant on a (fairly) regular basis and deluding myself that things were OK.

Phil B

Are you sure your not just overfilling it in the first place...????

The coolant expands when it gets hot so it you fill the header tank to the top it will vent past the pressure cap when the engine reaches operating temperature......

This will most likely drop you 1"-2" of fluid.....

If you don't top it up does it continue to fall..??? If so you have a leak somewhere....!!!!!!!

As said, coolant does.t evaporate as its a closed pressurised system.....

My daily drive... 25K miles & no coolant drop whatsoever......!!!!!

Simon

Chunky Lover

It sounds as though you are overfilling your coolant reservoir. If you constantly overfill, it will consistantly loose coolant. The level in the reservior should be about half-way up the header tank - just check the cooant level with a totally cold engine.

If you are consistantly loosing coolant below this level, then you have a leak somewhere.

Cheers,

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

guys, how do I measure this? and yes I am filling it to the top. I mean I drove it at least 3-4k miles since I last checked it and the coolast is anout 2 inches or so from the top.. but still visisble down there.. is there a way to measure this?

when you say half way up the header tank what do you mean exactly? how should it appear when I take the cap off and look down the top? should it look about 1-3 inches from the top of the tank? should I measure it with a ruler and watch it?

Edited by mamovaka

guys, how do I measure this? and yes I am filling it to the top. I mean I drove it at least 3-4k miles since I last checked it and the coolast is anout 2 inches or so from the top.. but still visisble down there.. is there a way to measure this?

when you say half way up the header tank what do you mean exactly? how should it appear when I take the cap off and look down the top? should it look about 1-3 inches from the top of the tank? should I measure it with a ruler and watch it?

When the engine is cold, check the coolant level by looking at the header tank. You should be able to see the coolant level through the side of the reservior. It should be somewhere between halfway (the mould mark in the tank) and 1 inch above the halfway.

COOLANTHEADERTANKCOMPARISON-1.jpg

Just monitor the coolant level of the next few times you drive the car. It should stabilise if you can resist the urge to uncap it and fill it to the top again :yes ....... As I said, if you are consistantly loosing coolant below this level, you need to investigate further.

Cheers,

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

when the system is bled, you should be filling the tank in the wheel well. opening up the top cap lets air back in the system.

On my 2001 Esprit, the header tank in the engine compartment always stays complete full. Take the cap off and the coolant is at the top of the neck of the tank. The reserve tank (passenger rear wheel well) is at 1/2 full. Therefore if the header tank (engine compartment) is low it sucks coolant from the reserve (wheel well) to fill up the header tank. If it header tank is too full it pushes coolant into the reserve tank (the reserve tank has an overflow).

I would fill up the header tank (engine compartment) to full. Then fill

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I had a dig around in my old emails and came across this schedule, as suggested by Lotus themselves. This is more in line with what was suggested by JoeyO:

The cooling system of the Esprit has undergone a few changes in

configuration. First please check the following:

Maintenance Procedure

1. With the engine completely cold, adjust the coolant level in the

header tank at the right hand rear of the engine bay, to the bottom of the

filler neck. The expansion tank in the right hand rear wheelarch may be

empty, as any contents will be expelled when the engine is fully warm.

2. Check that the header tank is fitted with a 145 kPa pressure cap,

and the expansion tank is fitted with a blanking cap.

3. As the engine warms up, the coolant will expand and start to fill

the expansion tank. When fully warm (i.e. the cooling fans have cycled

on/off several times), coolant may be expelled from the expansion tank

overflow. On cooling down, negative pressure will open a valve in the

header tank pressure cap and allow coolant to be drawn back from the

expansion tank into the header tank. A small amount of coolant may remain

in the expansion tank due to the pressure differential required to open

the recovery valve in the pressure cap. The header tank will no longer be

full, with the level lying typically at around three quarters full. If

the system is not disturbed (i.e. the header tank cap is not removed),

further drive cycles should result in the header tank cold coolant level

stabilising somewhere between half full and full.

If the header tank is repeatedly topped up to be fully filled (as

stipulated in current literature), the subsequent dropping of the level

may be perceived as coolant consumption/loss.

Another point to check is the hose between the header tank and expansion

tank which can leak air and prevent the coolant from the expansion tank

being recovered. Rubber hose tends to be more durable than the clear

plastic hose originally fitted.

There was a running change of the cylinder liner sealant in June 2000 to

Hylomar 3400, which allows the heads to be removed without the necessity

to re-seal the liners. A significant leak at this joint will result in

water contamination of the oil, although small leakages will evaporate

off. Diagnosis requires removal of the sump for inspection whilst the

cooling system is pressurised.

Regards,

Mike S

thanks guy,

as usual this is probably nothing because I just had the car get a full B service done and they flushed and refilled the tanks and reported no problems.. it's likely just hte level they filled the tank to was too low

thanks guy,

as usual this is probably nothing because I just had the car get a full B service done and they flushed and refilled the tanks and reported no problems.. it's likely just hte level they filled the tank to was too low

Pano,

You have probably solved your problem by now. But just in case... The manual states you never have to do anything with the overflow tank. It takes care of itself. You can add coolant to the header tank when the engine is fully cold. It's OK! You can lose coolant if you do it warm because of the process stated by every else.

I hope you have the maintenance C/D. Read it carefully. I think you'll find all the answers to coolant issues.

Eric

hi Cooling systems should not use water period..the level in the header tank should be to the bottom of the red plastic inset.

Our cars suffer with water loos from pipe clips needing re-tightning up..at both ends of the car...there is an Alloy Y peice in the bottom hose of the Radiator...these corrode and fail badly...I made a steel one for my car.

But the biggest issue with the V8 is the Liner Glue failure, when this happens the anti freeze gets into the sump and gets burnt off by the intake system...you will never tell looking at the dip stick.

Also the header tank water level sender switch can fail with sludge stopping its movement up and down..so you do not get any warning light on the dash...remove regular and clean it.

been there done it have the medal...regards Rob C

[email protected] or 07976 609881

Pano,

You have probably solved your problem by now. But just in case... The manual states you never have to do anything with the overflow tank. It takes care of itself. You can add coolant to the header tank when the engine is fully cold. It's OK! You can lose coolant if you do it warm because of the process stated by every else.

I hope you have the maintenance C/D. Read it carefully. I think you'll find all the answers to coolant issues.

Eric

Again I haven't driven the car in a week or so might drive it today.. but I did add some water to the header tank, however I remembered that I have not checked the collant level since they (at lotus) did the last big service w/ the complete coolant flush.. they told me the car was tip top. What is possible is that they simply didn't fill the coolant to the top like I did. and when I checked it I saw the level 2-3 inches below the CAP (which I am told now is too high) It's possible they set it at that height.

now that I filled the 2-3 inches with water I will check it again periodically.. the overflow should bring it back down 2-3 inches. so unless I see it continue to degrade below that 2-3 inch mark again I won't worry..

Again I think I am just too overly concerned with this car.. it's been driving fantastic lately :whistle: