free hit
counters
S3 NA battery - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S3 NA battery

Go to solution Solved by ChrisJ,

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wouldn't pay extra for a 'classic' battery.

Instead measure the available depth, width, and height, and note the orientation of the terminals.

Then look up the dimensions on a battery supplier site (I use Interstate Batteries, below, in the USA) and find the equivalent size and CCA rating that you desire. (The more CCA, the better, of course)

I don't know if the UK has their own size or group designations.

But, I do know that most varieties of G-car place its battery in that smallish well in the boot floor. That is why I didn't just tell you which battery size I use in our 1988 Stevens.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/

I found this UK site that shows the dimensions of your present battery. Apparently, the LP075 is equivalent.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/lucas/lc075/

• Like 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Solution

I've got a YUASA 075 SILVER in my 82 Esprit.

From Halfords £110, Amazon < £70. Mine came from Halfords, but as a replacement for a YUASA BLACK with a lifetime guarantee that didn't last a lifetime :)

I had to buy one of these for the "modern" post connector

image.png

• Like 1

Thanks Atwell and Chris. I did have a look at the Tayna website and I'll check out the Halfords battery – good to know also that they do the converters. I just remember someone saying that the Esprits needed a battery with a lot of oomph!

• Gold FFM

You should have no problem finding a modern battery of 60Ah (or more) that fits the battery tray. And the 4-pot is not that big an engine, it doesn't need that much starting power. My Excel with the same engine still starts fine with the 50Ah battery that was far from new when I got her 4 years ago. 😉 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.