free hit
counters
I need 910 engine!! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I need 910 engine!!

Hi, I really need a engine for my 86 esprit turbo hci, it can be carbed but just am so frustrated trying find a engine. I don’t wanna put no other engine in it. Been sitting in basement since 2010. Sad really 

Thanks gentleman, Nick Andrew 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi @Nick Andrew , is it that you don't have an engine, or that you need to replace it due to failure? The former is going to be more challenging but the latter would mean many parts from an NA engine can be used (later NA has the same casting)? If it is the latter, then I'd second Keith's suggestion of Lotusbits.   if you can gibe some more info on what's needed then people may be able to give other alternatives, because the HC Turbo engine wasn't really a long-lived model so the number of complete engines with carbs and exhaust manifold will be very limited, but if it's just the block then that opens up the later engines as donors.

I have no engine, have trans only with body. I bought in 2010 n sitting n basement for too long. I’m also open to the idea of another engine to use because someone welded another bell housing to the Citroen trans. I have no idea what that fits even though I have spent hours through the years looking. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!IMG_1506.thumb.JPG.6f5c868166fcd21392957580c9b8cc2e.JPG

I talked with the guy with shouts years ago. I even considered a LS engine but would rather stay 4 cylinder turbo. Saw car looked like mine and he had 3.8 grand national motor in. I thought that was great. Does anyone know what this bell housing fits? I will have to have it cut off and another one welded on which is very time and cost prohibitive. I will do what I have to do though. Please helpIMG_1506.thumb.JPG.6f5c868166fcd21392957580c9b8cc2e.JPG

Shotus, sorry 

Complete engine with ancillaries is going to be difficult to source/ a long time to source, even as part of different lots.

I would suggest having a look at this thread, it highlights that the old 4 cylinder turbo engine can be easily out-classed by a modern engine that fits the space. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the brain food! What exactly is engine in “Punky” esprit? And would love to see how he worked out engine management. I really do appreciate your replies, more info the better before I go at it.

Nick

@Nick Andrew  I believe Punky's engine was from a Jaguar S type or X Type, so technically an AJ-V6 it's the 3l V6 Ford Engine but with variable valve timing.  http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/components/duratec_v6/    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_V6_engine

Great here in the UK as there are several around (comparatively) and as you can tell by the photos it's a nice size. The Ford version is designed to have bits hang over the gearbox which is a problem in the Esprit but the Jag has a different arrangement due to how it's placed in the donor car.

I don't know what the availability (of both engine and parts), nor the availability of tuning options for that engine are like in the USA, but my advice would be to stick with a relatively small (Physical dimension) engine that's designed to give you a high-revving engine, that way you'd keep to the characteristics of the original 910.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2021 at 05:55, Nick Andrew said:

Hi, I really need a engine for my 86 esprit turbo hci, it can be carbed but just am so frustrated trying find a engine. I don’t wanna put no other engine in it. Been sitting in basement since 2010. Sad really 

Thanks gentleman, Nick Andrew 

Welcome to TLF Mick. :welcome:

Best of luck with the engine. Be interesting to see what you do.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.