free hit
counters
What would you have bought if the Emira never happened? - Page 2 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What would you have bought if the Emira never happened?

Evotion

14 minutes ago, DarrylV8 said:

@Mctaff Sue doesn’t know we have put a deposit down on the Emira

I’m sure she’ll be thrilled!!

🤡

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Since we have been talking about this I have looked into the C8 out of curiosity. 

I have to say. I don't like it. 

Well, of course, i;d happily have one!  But it is no pretty, too much going on in the styling and I dont actually like that central bridge.

However, in the US, it is such a bargain I doubt I would buy anything else and I guess this is Lotus' problem. Getting those C8 buyers into the Emira.

Can Lotus get enough people to actually get in the car? This is where they will realise the real difference. They will turn up on the looks, and buy on the drive.

In the UK we are more like US C8 buyers. Most of us will buy it just on the looks and knowing how Lotus pulls off the magic, It would be nice to drive it but I am sold already.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM

• Gold FFM
27 minutes ago, Nass said:

I know this is a stupid question, but is the C8 even allowed to be sold in the UK / EU with all the emission laws?

Yes it is, deliveries “RH drive” commencing second half 21 with coupe price starting at £81700 

Just one official Uk dealer though, Ian Allan Virginia Water (near Ascot). The convertible app £88k. Nice colour for a launch car, still prefer the Emira 👍

E553B103-60C4-48DC-B16D-35DB46CD9CAA.jpeg

Some imported ones are for sale all over Europe at varying prices. The official EU cars will start arriving in October if I recall correctly. These are a tad slower than the US variants due to additional particle filters and whatnot, and are all Z51 3LT. More importantly, there'll only be 16 of them, last I heard. There's a shortage of them for the US, so the EU will not be seeing them in large numbers for a while even if ordered.

Edited by JJ

• Gold FFM
20 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Agree and those advertised are all left hand drive 🙄

25 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Mad, mad money.

They're £50k over list, that's nuts! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

16!?  Blimey. They will be like gold dust and I doubt they will ever depreciate.

Sorry, still don't like it. 

THIS is a Corvette...

1959-c1-chevrolet-corvette-convertible--1959corvetteconvertiblespttext186105-frank-j-benz.jpg.1489183164b6111a8b186be49eec55a0.jpg

I do also like the 64 coupes with the bubble.

Similar price to the new car too!

• Gold FFM

091818_2b.jpg

And this...

• Like 1

I'm not sure exactly which number is 16, that may well be the European allocation just for '21, not total. They can't even build them quick enough for the US, not surprising seeing their plant shut down (I think twice?) due to COVID. '21 was sold out early March and I have American friends with deliveries estimated Q2/Q3 '22.

But even if they had a large allocation for Europe, car carbon tax is a thing in an ever increasing number of European countries, and that NA 6.2L V8 checks all the boxes to make tax men salivate. They will not be competitively priced in probably half the continent, and thus probably won't ever be common.

As for depreciation, you could import one from the USA right now (provided you can find one) without much issue for something like 5K additional cost (would be charged separately for the carbon tax), so if they depreciate hard there, they will do the same here. Add to that the carbon tax itself also depreciates, and quite rapidly, at least in my country (not too sure how it works in other European countries that have it), after two years the carbon tax is about 50%. Say the base car is 100K and the carbon tax is 100K, and the base car depreciated down to 80K in two years, then (again assuming they are not supply-limited abroad) I could import a two year old car for 80+(100/2)+5 = 135K. Compared to the 100+100+5 = 205K new price that's a 70K loss in just two years!

Not surprising most performance cars you see here are imported from Germany used at one to two years of age; just shows how completely incompetent you need to be to be in government, local dealers are missing out on massive revenue, the government misses out on the high tax revenue of new cars, and the people are priced out of new cars that aren't complete shitboxes. /rant

And yeah, *that* is indeed the very best Corvette. Still, I know taste is personal, I do like the look of the C8 as well (more than C6 and C7 for sure), as long as you're not looking at it straight from behind.

Edited by JJ
  • Like 1

Boxster GTS 4.0

BUT....and it is a big but........if it wasn't for the Emira, I would have never really looked into Lotus, and if I had, rather than the Boxster, I would have bought an Elise

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yeah, Emira woke me up to the Lotus brand. If I had been marketed better in the first place, now knowing how freakin epic the Exige is, I would have got one.

I should probably get the Emira V6 and a decent Exige really. That might happen if the i4 is delayed for some reason, The Exige is more extreme and I like that as a second car.

• Like 1

Exige 430 CUP / EVORA 430 CUP (if I could find one!)

Porsche GT3 997/991) 

GT4 718

Emira is somewhat of a 'softer' experience to the other options I was looking at? but being a Lotus fan I was very much up for getting involved in what was to come and so far I'm still keeping all my thoughts towards Emira. Bring on the viewing in September :)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
46 minutes ago, JCR said:

Emira is somewhat of a 'softer' experience to the other options

Yep, that is the rub.

I;d love one Emira and one Cup.

Ooh, like this beauty:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107305630803

That is one and half Emiras!

What an awesome garage that would be! Emira and 430 CUP! Love that.

I was always looking at the £80/85k CUP's even missed out on a lovely Orange 380 Cup that B&C had in but during lockdown It just wasn't the right timing for me, that was £63k I think. during lockdown I even saw 75k/77k Evora 430Cup's. 😦 Rare cars.

Two cars I would consider, but one isn't available in the US, and the other doesn't exist yet, are the Alpine A110s and the Gordon Murry T.43. Would have definitely test driven the Alpine. I'm not completely sure the T.43 will exist yet.

Though I still think I'd choose the Lotus over either right now.

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, xeonoex said:

Gordon Murry T.43

Yeah, that will be a fun road car if it ever happens. That bloke is genius.

His garage is shown on Youtube I recall. Amazing collection.

12 hours ago, IwantOne said:

@EvotionI think Murray mentioned in one of the t.50 interviews that he isn't really interested in doing "high volume" production cars. I don't think we'll see that car and if we do, it's probably going to be in low numbers and thus very expensive.

It was actually supposed to be pretty cheap, under 40k pounds: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/12/gordon-murray-t43-sports-car-ford-three-cylinder

It was meant as a proof of concept that his iStream design can be successful in a higher production, lower cost car. But who knows. It would probably still be very hard to get a hold of one. And there has been no news on it in two years, so who know if it will even come at all. That said, I glad the Emira is real.

• Like 1

+++++

Even since the Emira is introduced for me in each case the further ultimately developed and refined Evora GT 410 Sport with IPS............

It is a bomb safe combination......

Sorry, personally as with other car brands I would not buy any new Lotus model in the first 2-3 years of production.

Edited by rudolphwolven

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, rudolphwolven said:

I would not buy any new Lotus model in the first 2-3 years of production.

I understand and I rarely have bought new cars myself but mainly as a cost saver.

The difference here is that the Emira has been tested for nearly 2 years, is based on known tech and has had significant money thrown at the construction process and quality control.

Yes, it is always a bit of a punt buying a brand new model BUT that is FAR, FAR outweighed by the smile on my face as I drive, what will be a rare car for at least a year,  all over the place. 🏎️