free hit
counters
A/C compressor removal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

A/C compressor removal

Hi all, well it appears my AC compressor has bit the big one and is time to replace. Wondering if anyone has done this and or knows the proper removal procedure. Want to do this in the next couple of weeks once i have located a replacement compressor.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, well it appears my AC compressor has bit the big one and is time to replace. Wondering if anyone has done this and or knows the proper removal procedure. Want to do this in the next couple of weeks once i have located a replacement compressor.

The process is easy... Somewhat... You need us a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar to loosen the aux belt. take it off and loosen the motor mounts. You will have to jack up the motor a bit to get the A/C compressor off. There is an electrical connector, be very careful with this guy. remove it and remove the 1 bolt at the bottom and the 2 bolts on the top. Also, there is 1 bolt the attaches the High/Low A/C pipe. This bolt is an Allen bolt. Look at my sticky about cross-referenced parts, get yourself a new A/C compressor and install it.

CAVEAT!!!! Install the High/Low A/C piping FIRST!!!! Then install the A/C compressor and the belts and you're done!

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

• 12 years later...

Old thread, I know, but I am going through the AC compressor replacement right now and wanted to share some info on this thread since it comes up in the search.

Good news! Despite every thread saying you have to lift the engine to remove the compressor, I was able to remove it without disturbing the engine.

I did disconnect the oil lines to get more room, which were easy to break free on my car. And I disconnected the AC hoses attached to the manifold so the manifold was easier to maneuver without putting stress on the pipes.

The trick to doing it without moving the engine was to use a 17mm crows foot wrench with an universal joint that I taped up with electric tape at the strange angle needed to get the one hard-to-reach bolt holding on the compressor, and then used several swivel head extensions to my ratchet to apply the turning force.

There are 3 long bolts holding on the compressor. The other 2 are very easy to remove, but do the hard one first so that there's no extra friction on that hard to reach bolt. The crows foot barely gets it off, but it does the job. Fortunately, you can see the bolt in question from the area between the chassis and the body, which makes it much easier to do the work. 

Once you get the 3 bolts out, you can move the compressor forward and use an 8mm allen key socket to remove the manifold. I then pushed the compressor forward to give room to get the manifold out, and then the compressor has a ton of room to come out of the chassis.

I have the new compressor on the way from Rock Auto, and I am sure it will be fun getting it back in, but I don't expect it to be that bad.

Edited by lotusespritse

• 1 month later...

I recently removed my compressor too.

All I did was remove the oil filter and remove the turbo air inlet pipe work, (the elbow that comes from the airbox.)

Remove the belt.

I did have to make a tool to get the A/c pipes off the back of the compressor. I just cut the end off an old 8mm Allen bit, leaving enough to get a spanner on when inserted in the bolt. this way I could loosen the bolt with the compressor in place.

Then I was able to get to all 3 bolts using normal tools.

Once compressor was free I could easily finish removing the pipe work and securing Allen bolt.

Getting the new one back on might be interesting!