free hit
counters
Honda production ends now in UK - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Honda production ends now in UK

https://www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2021/07/28/honda-swindon-workforce-begin-final-shift-of-67m-car-production-run

I read somewhere that this is the only Honda factory in the EU, it looks as if they are concentrating on Japan and the US.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having been made redundant in the past, my sympathies are extended to those that are losing their employment.

I am sure that I read somewhere that there is a trade agreement between the EU and Japan that  effectively allows tariff free import of vehicles. 

I do not blame Honda one but if they consolidate their operations in Japan and give Japanese workers jobs.

• Like 1

I think that Honda have also reduced the size of their dealership network in the UK, The ex lotus dealer at Weston Super Mare, where I bought my first Evora from, told me that they had closed the Weston Honda showroom leaving their Honda one in Taunton open. 

Not quite such a reduction as the withdrawal of Mitsubishi from the UK and EU.  So all their dealers are finding other brands to sell.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Honda lost their way in UK and Europe, certainly for cars if not bikes. They built the marque well through 60s to 90s, especially in the 80s. 

It is odd they appear so anonymous of late. Trapped between cheap cars and 'halo' marques perhaps but one thinks the management have misjudged the marketing and branding. 

Justin 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I lived in Swindon for over 20 years before moving back to Scotland and knew many people or their family members that worked there. It's going to be a bit of shock to Swindon and the surrounding industries that supported the factory. I hope they find further employment soon.

I wonder what'll become of the massive site they had on the A419, probably an Ikea or Amazon depot.

• Like 1

Signature not working...

Very sorry to see them withdrawing from the U.K.  I’ve never owned a Honda myself, well apart from the engine in my lawn mower😂, but my company did get an awful lot of work from the Swindon plant over the years. 

Well I suppose that is some good news, a lot of old factories seem to be unused for ages until they become derelict, and get demolished..