free hit
counters
Wiper linkage spindle - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Wiper linkage spindle

Yesterday my wiper stopped working.

I turned it on it moved all the way to the end and stopped moving.

I realised the spindle was moving but not the wiper. So i removed the wiper arm and saw this in the photos attached ..

I am not sure how it should be, so was wondering if it is busted? It looks to be shaved, as it is shiny and all? Was there supposed to be any grooves so the arm can catch on to?

I have also attached photos of the inlet at the wiper arm. Was it supposed to have some grooves too?

Thanks

wiperarm02.jpg

wiperarm01.jpg

Spindle02.jpg

Spindle01.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Yes, they're both supposed to be splined.  Common issue.  The proper solution is to replace the entire wiper linkage, which is an 'interesting and rewarding' task.  Temporarily you could use one of the various liquid metal compounds to secure it, but how long it will last is anybody's guess.  Or, as it is conical, create your own grooves in both faces and try to tighten down to an interference fit.

Ultimately, you'll be spending a significant amount of time in the Lotus position.  This is one job I really don't enjoy.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

9 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Yes, they're both supposed to be splined.  Common issue.  The proper solution is to replace the entire wiper linkage, which is an 'interesting and rewarding' task.  Temporarily you could use one of the various liquid metal compounds to secure it, but how long it will last is anybody's guess.  Or, as it is conical, create your own grooves in both faces and try to tighten down to an interference fit.

Ultimately, you'll be spending a significant amount of time in the Lotus position.  This is one job I really don't enjoy.

Thanks!

That's what i was afraid of.

i will replace the linkage later down the road then, as I am planning to refabricate the harness under the dash, and will have to remove the dash then...

will try to figure out how to secure it for the time being...

i have also bought some rain-x kind of water repellant wax to apply on the windscreen, will need to drive above 25mph when it rains.. :)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Rain-X is part of my toolkit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I shall just say that even with the dash removed, it’s still a complete pain of a job, although it’s marginally easier with two people involved.

Preferably not hungover, though.

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I don't know; it added a certain je ne sais quoi.

4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I shall just say that even with the dash removed, it’s still a complete pain of a job, although it’s marginally easier with two people involved.

Preferably not hungover, though.

That doesn't sound good.. Hahah

I appear to have 2 spare wipers (the previous owner must have had the same problem), one is labelled and appears new, but if the other looks better than yours and may work, then PM me and I'll post it along if you're in the UK.

20210731_114456 - Edited.jpg

20210731_114447 - Edited.jpg

On another car I have made new splines on the arm/shaft with a sharp triangular file. With the right bit and some care a Dremel tool might work to speed up the job. Given the effort required to replace the shaft and the fact you can't break it any further, it might be worth a try.

Given the conical surface involved, make sure  the nut/arm does not bottom out on the shaft before a good clamp load is achieved.  

As a temp solution being knackered already you could drill, tap and grub screw both sides or drill and pin.

Changing the wiper box is one of the worst jobs unless you remove the dash.

Good luck 🤞🏼

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

On 30/07/2021 at 17:35, Chillidoggy said:

Arguably one of the most time-consuming and awkward jobs I've ever done.

I reckon so .. especially after googling on how it can be done ..  😅

On 31/07/2021 at 18:58, DaKa said:

I appear to have 2 spare wipers (the previous owner must have had the same problem), one is labelled and appears new, but if the other looks better than yours and may work, then PM me and I'll post it along if you're in the UK.

Thanks for your offer, however I am located in Singapore..  a bit far from where you are .. 

11 hours ago, snowrx said:

On another car I have made new splines on the arm/shaft with a sharp triangular file. With the right bit and some care a Dremel tool might work to speed up the job. Given the effort required to replace the shaft and the fact you can't break it any further, it might be worth a try.

Given the conical surface involved, make sure  the nut/arm does not bottom out on the shaft before a good clamp load is achieved.  

I have bought JB Weld to make the conical area on the spline into a cylindrical shape, and to also make hole on the arm round again, and then to make new splines on both area.. was thinking how to create the new splines, and your suggestion of using a dremel is point on ..  hopefully I will be able to go about doing it this week

10 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

As a temp solution being knackered already you could drill, tap and grub screw both sides or drill and pin.

Changing the wiper box is one of the worst jobs unless you remove the dash.

Good luck 🤞🏼

Dave :) 

I was initially thinking to drill a hole through the arm and the spindle, so i could insert a small metal piece to hold them.. but am worried about the windshield.. will try the JB weld method first..

Thanks

An idea i initially had was to use a helicoil on the spindle and arm, but the biggest i have was not big enough to go over the spindle, although it was big enough to go into the hole on the arm .. 

anyway, will see how it goes with the JB weld idea ..thanks for al the suggestions and advise

I have doubts about the JB weld staying bonded to the shaft in such a high shear load . If there's enough metal left, I'd re-do the splines in the metal. You might need a washer under the nut to push the arm lower on the shaft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snowrx said:

I have doubts about the JB weld staying bonded to the shaft in such a high shear load . If there's enough metal left, I'd re-do the splines in the metal. You might need a washer under the nut to push the arm lower on the shaft.

Honestly I am not sure too ..

maybe i will try to see if i can create the splines on the existing spindle, but not sure if the hole on the arm is too big ..