free hit
counters
907 engine - cam tower or cam cover oil leaks, and easy fix? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

907 engine - cam tower or cam cover oil leaks, and easy fix?

Hi,

Sorry for posting this on the Esprit forum vs Eclat, but there’s a wider community on this side.

The 504 has the 2L engine but seems to be losing a fair about of oil towards the plugs. Is this normal from such a leak - cam tower or cover? I believe the cam covers were re-sealed not replaced, and still has cork gasket on the sump.

Seemed to run ok but was struggling a little on idle (likely needs a good tune up) 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Garry Kemp sells the rubber cam cover gaskets on ebay, they are excellent and cure the leaks. Unfortunately the castings are quite rough and uneven so the originals are great although you can get them to work. I used to clean the castings up and apply loxseal to the standard gaskets which was always fine.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

20 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Garry Kemp sells the rubber cam cover gaskets on ebay, they are excellent and cure the leaks. Unfortunately the castings are quite rough and uneven so the originals are great although you can get them to work. I used to clean the castings up and apply loxseal to the standard gaskets which was always fine.

Dave :) 

Agree with the roughness of the castings of the surfaces of both the cam towers and the underside of the covers. It helps to take some emery cloth or similar to smooth out all those casting imperfections for a nicer sealing surface. I had a machinist once offer to machine a groove in the tower to allow a long o-ring type seal to be used. Never got around to trying that before acquiring some late model cam towers with flat covers, the other solution. :D

• Like 1