free hit
counters
HELP! Clutch pedal clevis pin removal - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

HELP! Clutch pedal clevis pin removal

Go to solution Solved by Alfa2Evora,

• Gold FFM
As I'm approaching my 66th birthday I'm not as supple as I used to be and so I'm struggling, even with the seat removed, to get myself contorted into a position in the footwell to get so much as half a sight of what's going on at the top of the clutch pedal shaft.

If I can get into a position even close to getting a visual on it, I'm certainly not going to be able to bend my arm anywhere near the required direction so I'm going to have to do it by feel.

I've managed to get the attached photo of the pin - I take it that the clip on the end of it pulls off in an upward direction, i.e. towards the spring at the top of the shot, so it's just a case of inserting a screwdriver into the 'loop' at the top of the clip and levering it upwards?

1866014414_ClutchClevisPin001.thumb.JPG.46d875c8500be3b3deeb35e44f1a7e37.JPG

• Alfa2Evora changed the title to HELP! Clutch pedal clevis pin removal

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The clip will rotate on the pin, so manoeuvre it to the most advantageous position for slipping it off.  I find down infinitely preferable!

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Thanks @exeterjeep but it's the bit next to that - the clevis pin that attaches the master cylinder actuating rod to the clutch pedal itself - parts #27/28/29 in this:

2113107431_Evoraclutchmechanism2.jpg.c58821ef809a0b8dc898b8ee473ccc69.jpg

If you think about taking the seat out to aid access, I will tell you of the experience that SWLC had when they were re-fitting my passenger seat. Although there are just 4 bolts, the nuts are sort of loose in between parts of the floor skins. I had been driving around for a while with the seat out, the front 2 nuts were easily accessible, but the back 2 had to be fished around with a wire to get them back into the correct position. This took several attempts.

• Gold FFM

@exeterjeepYes, the seat is already out and as I withdrew it the 2 rear 'blocks with the nuts encased' did wander off into the adjacent box section. Fortunately, they turned out to be made of steel so a magnet on a stick had them retrieved from the depths of the floor framework - phew! 

There even appears to be a hole in the floor that lines up with the spare 'nut' in the block so why this wasn't utilised to secure them in place is anybody's guess. For sure, I'll be looking at employing a countersunk-headed bolt for that purpose when they're reinstalled. 

1173299191_Evoraseatmounting001.thumb.JPG.84a94d2d494b421338fdffad8eeb0460.JPG

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yeah! The cruise ship's alcoholic beverage provider, a.k.a. the bar-steward, is out. Blood everywhere as the bottom edge around the pedal box is like a razor-blade, :realmad:.

2116909654_Clutchclevis001.thumb.JPG.eebb8fdb256f5e5440a352bbf69d7f74.JPG

I've now retired for the night as an ice-cold bottle of 'Angry Orchard' beckons from the fridge.

Round 2 tomorrow, getting the mounting bolts for the master cylinder out as the nuts aren't captive so I'll need to be on both sides of the front bulkhead at the same time - might have to speak nicely to one of my neighbours to come and hang onto a spanner for a few minutes.

• Gold FFM
  • Solution
22 minutes ago, 21gg said:

Could you feed a wire through the end of the clip and pull it off?

I managed to feed a cable-tie through the looped end of the clip and fastened it to give me a handle, then a flat-bladed screwdriver into the open end of the clip to ease it open a bit further and a good yank on the cable-tie popped it free. There's barely enough room to slide your hand up between the pedal shaft and the side of the pedal box and my hands are far from large. A good supply of sticking plasters was definitely a requirement for this part of the job, :(.

I had to move the potentiometer (3mm hex/allen key for the retaining bolt) out of the way to get enough room to remove the clevis pin fully from the pedal shaft.

• Like 2