free hit
counters
Lotus HOPE Olympic Bike - Bike Banter - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus HOPE Olympic Bike

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interesting design. With my limited engineering knowledge I'm intrigued to know what the advantages are. Triangles are strong and the cross bar at the bottom of the steering head gives some width to those triangles but what about everything else?

Curves in the forks and rear seat stays to allow some flexing / suspension?

dont forget the round wheels...

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Could be for suspension. I remember the British cyclist that first rode the bike that Lotus designed and if I remember correctly, he said he was worried about becoming sterile.

Or it could be to do with getting the turbulence created by the forks etc away from the wheels and possibly diverting the air around the riders legs? Every bit counts possibly.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Well, I was sorta right. :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Might be worth adding this ...  

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

£15500 + vat for the frame set up only.

I wonder if these were bought, donated or sponsored?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

6 hours ago, comem47 said:

image.png.f6b7d66cea223541f1a604946174d0e8.png

That's the BBC for you!  Can you get this one ?  Pictures similar but I've no idea what they are saying ..   

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

Isn't that where some of the £24+m lottery money that British Cycling get ... gets spent??

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I can't see some of the videos. Uploader has not made this available in your country. @phil flash @comem47

• Gold FFM

Just wondering I watched a lot of olympics and viewed as much of the track cycling as I could 

I was wondering if lotus involvement in the Team GB track bike be now on reflection be considered a success ?

it was a radical design when compared to others and it seems to have been well received by the riders and brought success however it was fantastic to see Lotus brand name on the tv 

chris boardman commentary referred to bike as a weird design and it another story in itself ! 

• Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

chris boardman commentary referred to bike as a weird design and it another story in itself ! 

Boardman himself had massive success on the road and track using the first Lotus designed track bike, the Type 108 and the Type 110 that followed it. Now that WAS a weird design and hugely ground-breaking at the time.  Still a marvel to look at today and hard to believe it was almost 30 years ago! 

image.jpeg.1b8857d84424467753762ada76260453.jpeg

Ed's Rant: Bike Tech - How Far is Too Far? - PezCycling News

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
16 hours ago, Suddabym said:

And Lotus (with Hope) built the bleedin' bike!

To be fair, I believe Lotus were responsible for the Forks / Handlebar and provided access to aerodynamic facilities to help to hone the design. A 3rd company called Renishaw did a lot of the work around the 3D (titanium I believe) printed components (drop outs, fork blade bridge, etc).  A true all British collaboration though. With regard to the price, it's like the Old Group B rally cars, they need to make the bike "commercially" available and on sale - they can charge what they like, as long as anyone with the money can buy one.

There is a road version too, but it was not ready in time for the Olympics as the focus was on the track bikes - but the road bike is an ALL Hope creation, Lotus and Renishaw not involved (and the forks are not from Lotus).  It looks like something Judge Dredd would ride though.

2021 Hope-HB.TT side

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

30 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

If in doubt, use your VPN. 😉

I don't have one. I will have to go back on the internet and search how to do it again.

Go to ExpressVPN. Pay the subscription fee and download a bit of software (to multiple devices, if you want). Click ‘on’ (depending on where you want your computer to be from). Done. 

• Like 2